1877 Club

div

5 minutes ago, alanb said:

It must be one of the most expensive clubs to be a member of, given costs of joining and subscription against actual time you can use it. 

Yip, I joined cos my nephew now comes with me to the games - which I love, but can't get him in our bus's pub as they don't serve food. I had stupidly assumed it would be members club type bar pricing which it isn't. So all it is expensive, and the way certain things have been dealt with it's making me strongly rethink being a member. It was also advertised/sold as having players in, guests etc - hardly ever happens. Gies yer tenner, pay full bar prices and weesht

13 hours ago, div said:

Yeah that is fair comment mate. It’s a very expensive time to be a fan, and let’s not forget the fact that 1300 if us are shelling out at least £12 a month to buy the club too!

Would agree with this. Have 2 season tickets, pay another 12 quid a month, yet to listen to an 'exclusive' interview or footage on buddievision they want another fiver a month, then whatever it is to get in to buy a pint.

13 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

No bother just wondered why you didn't use it often as there seem so to be  fair fee members that don't just good to get s picture why

I am a member also paid my 60 up front my 10 a moth but rarely use it due to the fact I cant be bothered with having to e.mail if I want to bring a guest and as there are now four or five of us go together theres no point as you are only allowed two guest .

26 minutes ago, HSS said:

What was the Calcutta Cup incident?Sounds like a storyline from Miss Marples.:lol:

In a nutshell it got switched off before the end, folks weren't happy obv, we had already been told bar would close at normal time but we could watch end of game and leave. Then someone decided it would be a good idea to switch it off anyway. Poor barmaid that was told to switch it off got the initial crap. There then was several arguments going on and I chose to get my nephew the hell out of there. On the way out a member of st.mirren staff raised their hands to a customer who returned them the compliment - customer barred.  All washed over by saying violence or abuse to staff won't be tolerated. Did ask if the member of staff  got punished.... never got a reply strangely. Absolute nonsense. Best atmosphere the club had had since I joined it that day, few English folk in so some banter being flung aboot. 

19 minutes ago, elvis said:

I am a member also paid my 60 up front my 10 a moth but rarely use it due to the fact I cant be bothered with having to e.mail if I want to bring a guest and as there are now four or five of us go together theres no point as you are only allowed two guest .

Well it seems to be 2 this season but it certainly wasn't last season. This is where it needs a better system. Cos Saturday there neither me or my nephew used our guests - so you could have got 4 from us. Also that's the thing - you or paying for it but not using it - club don't care they getting  your money. There are also a lot of members who use it before but not after, ok might be getting their tenner but they aren't spending after - someone else could be. 

I'm not claiming to know how to run it but seems to me there is a case for a relook at things and maybe asking members for thoughts/ideas. As I said before, If I get to the stage of not using it I certainly won't be paying for it. 

Edited by Miss Saint

Yeah that is fair comment mate. It’s a very expensive time to be a fan, and let’s not forget the fact that 1300 if us are shelling out at least £12 a month to buy the club too!

We mean nothing to them sit down shut up and give us your money. That's the attitude. They don't realise were a small club and a lot of fans struggle to get their season ticket cash. This is Paisley not Madrid or Milan.

2 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

Well it seems to be 2 this season but it certainly wasn't last season. This is where it needs a better system. Cos Saturday there neither me or my nephew used our guests - so you could have got 4 from us. Also that's the thing - you or paying for it but not using it - club don't care they getting  your money. There are also a lot of members who use it before but not after, ok might be getting their tenner but they aren't spending after - someone else could be. 

I'm not claiming to know how to run it but seems to me there is a case for a relook at things and maybe asking members for thoughts/ideas. As I said before, If I get to the stage of not using it I certainly won't be paying for it. 

It's a tough one to come up with a better solution.

Club needed up front funds to help with the build and fit out so we have 200 odd founding members. There's been some churn there of course with members leaving, new ones joining and right now we seem to have more members than ever before which has ultimately then led to the introduction of the post game rule about entry being only for members and guests who paid to get in before the match.

In my experience, and I use it pretty much every game, the bar isn't ever particularly busy after the game. There have been obvious exceptions to that but generally speaking it's pretty quiet.

Before the game it's never absolutely rammed but it can get reasonably busy. It's all down to the safety certificate they have as to how many punters they can have in and I assume it isn't as many as you'd think for the space because it's up the stairs and that obviously is the way out in an emergency.

I'm no expert in these things but usually there is reasoning behind decisions that aren't always that obvious.

Rightly or wrongly, with over £2k coming in every month before a pint is poured you can be pretty sure entry arrangements ain't going to be changing anytime soon!

25 minutes ago, div said:

It's a tough one to come up with a better solution.

Club needed up front funds to help with the build and fit out so we have 200 odd founding members. There's been some churn there of course with members leaving, new ones joining and right now we seem to have more members than ever before which has ultimately then led to the introduction of the post game rule about entry being only for members and guests who paid to get in before the match.

In my experience, and I use it pretty much every game, the bar isn't ever particularly busy after the game. There have been obvious exceptions to that but generally speaking it's pretty quiet.

Before the game it's never absolutely rammed but it can get reasonably busy. It's all down to the safety certificate they have as to how many punters they can have in and I assume it isn't as many as you'd think for the space because it's up the stairs and that obviously is the way out in an emergency.

I'm no expert in these things but usually there is reasoning behind decisions that aren't always that obvious.

Rightly or wrongly, with over £2k coming in every month before a pint is poured you can be pretty sure entry arrangements ain't going to be changing anytime soon!

I aye Div fair enough if it's a health and safety thing but let's be honest here Alan had stated firstly it's because some members moaned. That's my gripe - some members moan then at 10pm the night before the game an unofficial tweet Is put out, that's nonsense. 

If it's a health and safety thing then restrict numbers after don't just make it a blanket no and leave the club half empty.

I've said to other founding members that I prob would have been flung oot long before it was built if i was a founding member cos I'd be asking lots of questions etc . It's becoming more obvious tho that there are obv members that are just happy to pay the monthly fee, pay full bar prices and have no say in anything. And aye prob think the same as your last sentence there and therefore adopting the what's the point in moaning it won't change   anything attitude . Which clearly isn't my attitude. Aye the club is a business and I'm happy to put money in but this is area of spend where I think quite frankly ye can get treated poorly. 

As I said on another thread my nephew and I were turned away from the 1877 Club after the game on Saturday. There were 91 people inside according to the guy on the door (not all of them were members or guests - my pal was inside waiting for me).

There was no way that the club would have been so busy that anyone who wanted to attend wouldn't get in. It seems ridiculous that anyone would be turned away.

The beer's shite anyway so I probably won't be back [emoji3]

No one is forcing us to be members tho, and some folk a tenner a month is nothing, also some folk have the attitude the money is going to the club so  it's all good. I'm not in that group I want value for money and would be kinda nice to have a say in stuff/ be involved in decisions etc. Without members there wouldn't be a club then they would have to just have it a free for all so imo members should have a say in stuff. It's a great facility but I'm paying for it so if I'm not happy with stuff I'll tell them. It's a wee change from reading about Stubbs!
I understand no-one forces you to be a member. I just feel we are missing a trick to get cash from out with our supporters group.

I know I spend a fortune on away days so I'd imagine folk coming to paisley would gladly do the same if they could so we should be rinsing them.

I also get that it was funded by the members fair play to them. I guess I don't know what research went into other models of funding it that could make it a more inclusive facility.

Anyway it's been done to death, I'm not going to change history what's been done is done so I'll try not to mention it again.

Back to the stubby bashing.....[emoji48]

5 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I understand no-one forces you to be a member. I just feel we are missing a trick to get cash from out with our supporters group.

I know I spend a fortune on away days so I'd imagine folk coming to paisley would gladly do the same if they could so we should be rinsing them.

I also get that it was funded by the members fair play to them. I guess I don't know what research went into other models of funding it that could make it a more inclusive facility.

Anyway it's been done to death, I'm not going to change history what's been done is done so I'll try not to mention it again.

Back to the stubby bashing.....emoji48.png

I just thought you were meaning the club shouldn't be looking at us to spend at it and make money with away supporters. That's clearly never going to happen if some members don't even want their own supporters in.  We will see what happens but looking like its making money and no interest in anything else. Someone on the waiting list can get me and the wee man's places then and it be a wee burger and keg for us noo and then.

Nah nae Stubbs bashing, had my moan on that. Hoping for miracles this week and a surprise on Saturday. Just hope nane of those toffs up the stairs in the dear seats through their prawn sandwiches doon to us cheap seaters hehe

19 hours ago, div said:

Fair comment.  Joining the 1877 Club doesn't make financial sense.  I say that as a member who is also footing the bill for  his 18 year old grandson.  So... Why did I join?  Firstly to support an initiative that I hope will be further developed in future to provide pre and post match food,  drinks and TV coverage of games and a chance to rub shoulders with players post match.  At this point the cost of drinks seems reasonable to me.  

What would I like to see at this time?

1. I would allow one guest for free when accompanying a member.   It presently costs me 3 pounds and I take a guest each time. 

2. I would provide chairs and tables sufficient to let everyone have a seat. 

What would I like to see in the future? 

1. Improved members benefits.  E. G.  access to Buddievision. 

2. Discount on parking permit for supporters annual parking permit. 

3. Improved range and quality of food. 

4.Direct access to a Main Stand area where season tickets can be bought. 

Edited by St.Ricky

18 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Fair comment.  Joining the 1877 Club doesn't make financial sense.  I say that as a member who is also footing the bill for  his 18 year old grandson.  So... Why did I join?  Firstly to support an initiative that I hope will be further developed in future to provide pre and post match food,  drinks and TV coverage of games and a chance to rub shoulders with players post match.  At this point the cost of drinks seems reasonable to me.  

What would I like to see at this time?

1. I would allow one guest for free when accompanying a member.   It presently costs me 3 pounds and I take a guest each time. 

2. I would provide chairs and tables sufficient to let everyone have a seat. 

What would I like to see in the future? 

1. Improved members benefits.  E. G.  access to Buddievision. 

2. Discount on parking permit for supporters annual parking permit. 

3. Improved range and quality of food. 

4.Direct access to a Main Stand area where season tickets can be bought. 

Good post. Aye ye joined to help to get it up and running thinking things will get better etc.

Totally agree with free guest or two - that should be a given with your membership. Apparent ly some members don't want free guests cos then that's folk getting in for nothing while they are paying - that one kills me!

The big chairs and tables were gotten free at start of last season - there is a reason - the seats are guff, tables fine.  As for those other fold up ones...aye they shite too.

Bar prices for me should be more in line with other members clubs.

Buddievison - don't even start me on that.

Parking permit - don't drive no idea what costs are but I had kinda assumed there was an area for parking with the bar. Food - doesn't bother me too much only had a Panini a Cpl of times, wee nephew likes the pakora but there isn't much choice wise. Another member mentioned after the game on Saturday that she would like food after as an option.

Main Stand thing - come on noo if ye sit in main stand you are already at the stand....doon stairs, turnstyle and in. Plus not all members are from Main Stand - if you get direct access to your stand I want a shuttle bus roon to the West :-)

2 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

Good post. Aye ye joined to help to get it up and running thinking things will get better etc.

Totally agree with free guest or two - that should be a given with your membership. Apparent ly some members don't want free guests cos then that's folk getting in for nothing while they are paying - that one kills me!

The big chairs and tables were gotten free at start of last season - there is a reason - the seats are guff, tables fine.  As for those other fold up ones...aye they shite too.

Parking permit - don't drive no idea what costs are but I had kinda assumed there was an area for parking with the bar. Food - doesn't bother me too much only had a Panini a Cpl of times, wee nephew likes the pakora but there isn't much choice wise. Another member mentioned after the game on Saturday that she would like food after as an option.

Main Stand thing - come on noo if ye sit in main stand you are already at the stand....doon stairs, turnstyle and in. Plus not all members are from Main Stand - if you get direct access to your stand I want a shuttle bus roon to the West :-)

Shuttle Bus right across the pitch to the West Stand. 

3 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

Miss Saint. Thanks for the response.  I currently sit in the West Stand. Bow to your knowledge of drinks in social -clubs.  Got to admit that I don't know much about that. 

Parking costs 65 pounds a year. 1877 Club   Membership 120 per year + Introduction Costs.   120 per yearSeason Ticket Adult 300 per year Parking  65 per year. Buddievision             50.per year.

Would happily relocate my seat to the main stand if I could enter it from the club.  Would also enable the club to take orders for half time drinks and pies! 

4 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

Certainty would not bother me for guests to get in free or away fans for that matter. For me it's a case of jumping off the train from down the coast and straight into the club . More seating would be good but I will be honest here have no idea what I pay for a pint in the club. Can hear my wife saying surprise surprise lol. I like the club if it can be improved all the better. You should send ideas to Alan by e-mail at least you will get an answer I would hope. Have not seen anyone who thinks their better than anyone else though will admit I like a prawn sandwich but the don't sell any :P

My brother joined the 1877 in the first year just to help them get it up and running, he`s never set foot in the place, 

And i looked at joining too, but thought the format of membership was not worth the money. I actually thought it would have changed by now as membership would have dropped off. that probably didn't happen on the back of last years success.

I`d join 2moro if they made it something like a one off yearly fee of £25 on top of your season ticket if you choose to join the club,  then a first come first served basis able to sign in 2 guests max,  it would fill out the 1877 at every home game. and bring more folk to the game who`d otherwise not be there,  everyone happy,  get there early and spend your cash

Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, that seems to be the club at present.

Last Post - no joining or entry fee; cheaper and more varied choice of drinks as well as extensive choice of food; "free" train to / from game.

Edited by melmac

3 minutes ago, melmac said:

Last Post - no joining or entry fee; cheaper and more varied choice of drinks as well as extensive choice of food; "free" train to / from game.

Overall I completely agree but the other side is nothing goes towards the club.

All comes down to the choice to allow yourself to subsidise/be fleeced for the good of the club. 

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Overall I completely agree but the other side is nothing goes towards the club.

All comes down to the choice to allow yourself to subsidise/be fleeced for the good of the club. 

Oh aye, forgot that. Considering there is no "bang for the buck" on the field and that the club / smisa don't really have the fans interest at heart, I'm no longer predisposed to contribute my hard earned. The words "piss-up" and "brewery" come to mind.