1877 Club

div

Stuart is onto something here.

We should utilise the dressing rooms as a kind of bunkhouse for park and ride punters, and put a few dozen tents on the pitch too (maybe a couple of reclaimed and adapted storage containers as toilet blocks).

A running track round the pitch could be designed to tilt to form a velodrome. The main stand could be raised so the area underneath could be made into an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Put a helipad on the Dome for bands to use when playing at the stadium, and create a huge underground facility beneath the pitch to be used as a sanctuary/operations hub in the event of zombie invasion.

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

Stuart is onto something here.

We should utilise the dressing rooms as a kind of bunkhouse for park and ride punters, and put a few dozen tents on the pitch too (maybe a couple of reclaimed and adapted storage containers as toilet blocks).

A running track round the pitch could be designed to tilt to form a velodrome. The main stand could be raised so the area underneath could be made into an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Put a helipad on the Dome for bands to use when playing at the stadium, and create a huge underground facility beneath the pitch to be used as a sanctuary/operations hub in the event of zombie invasion.

That's enough , too far, like the rest of it though

10 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

You took it there. 

My simple point was that if you want to make the 1877 club more profitable you need more footfall on non match days. A basic premise and quite an obvious one. 

The club is already being utilised outside of match days. Street Stuff have used it most weeks since it opened. I totally agree that it should be utilised as much as possible, I just don't concede that building a running track or a hotel for park & riders is really the way forward to allow that to happen.

Similarly opening it as a coffee shop 7 days a week sounds fairly barking to me personally, but I'll concede that it's at least not as ridiculous as the other notions.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

It seems obvious the one thing the more vocal members of the private members club don't want is to open their minds for a moment and consider ideas that could form part of a recovery plan for a facility THEY have flagged up as cause for concern.

I am sure there will be changes at some point, they may however end up being enforced by circumstance, rather than considered and adopted.

And yet it was this same member who started the topic suggesting that a superb facility was being under utilised and proposing ways that it could improve.

Funny that in the same topic you then slate said member for not having an open mind.

I'm very open to the club changing it's membership and entry structure on matchdays. I've no commercial knowledge of coffee shops, restaurants, athletics clubs or hotels but in my opinion, and it is just my opinion which I am entitled to as much as you are by the way, it's nonsense to think the club could seriously make money by being open 7 days a week for a Latte in the middle of Ferguslie.

In my opinion, again just my opinion so don't wet yourself, the way the space could make a return outside of matchday is as a function suite for parties and events that are perhaps not as well suited to running in the hospitality suite.

On a matchday, as I said in the OP, the entrance system needs changed to maximise revenue.

2 minutes ago, div said:

The club is already being utilised outside of match days. Street Stuff have used it most weeks since it opened. I totally agree that it should be utilised as much as possible, I just don't concede that building a running track or a hotel for park & riders is really the way forward to allow that to happen.

Similarly opening it as a coffee shop 7 days a week sounds fairly barking to me personally, but I'll concede that it's at least not as ridiculous as the other notions.

And yet it was this same member who started the topic suggesting that a superb facility was being under utilised and proposing ways that it could improve.

Funny that in the same topic you then slate said member for not having an open mind.

I'm very open to the club changing it's membership and entry structure on matchdays. I've no commercial knowledge of coffee shops, restaurants, athletics clubs or hotels but in my opinion, and it is just my opinion which I am entitled to as much as you are by the way, it's nonsense to think the club could seriously make money by being open 7 days a week for a Latte in the middle of Ferguslie.

In my opinion, again just my opinion so don't wet yourself, the way the space could make a return outside of matchday is as a function suite for parties and events that are perhaps not as well suited to running in the hospitality suite.

On a matchday, as I said in the OP, the entrance system needs changed to maximise revenue.

As i understood it the plan was always to hire out the facility, is that not happening, or not getting the interest?

if the facility had a decent welcoming facade, it could certainly utilise its location next to a motorway, airport and train station with ample parking as a coffee shop/bar/business lounge for the plethora of business people on the go who want to meet up somewhere just off the motorway, near the airport and log on whilst spending money, and getting a better product and experience than most of the alternatives.

it could be marketed to appeal to families for a well priced, healthy-ish menu, other facilities (the corners) could be developed at the ground to make it a 'destination' where people come outside matchdays because its easy to access and convient to communication routes. Look at the end of Renfrew Road, its buzzing and its just fast food and diy units.

who would have thought Sapparito's in Gauze Street would be turning people away at nine o clock at night because times have changed and people want that type of offer? Killie made it work, why cant St Mirren?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

As i understood it the plan was always to hire out the facility, is that not happening, or not getting the interest?

if the facility had a decent welcoming facade, it could certainly utilise its location next to a motorway, airport and train station with ample parking as a coffee shop/bar/business lounge for the plethora of business people on the go who want to meet up somewhere just off the motorway, near the airport and log on whilst spending money, and getting a better product and experience than most of the alternatives.

it could be marketed to appeal to families for a well priced, healthy-ish menu, other facilities (the corners) could be developed at the ground to make it a 'destination' where people come outside matchdays because its easy to access and convient to communication routes. Look at the end of Renfrew Road, its buzzing and its just fast food and diy units.

who would have thought Sapparito's in Gauze Street would be turning people away at nine o clock at night because times have changed and people want that type of offer? Killie made it work, why cant St Mirren?

I don't disagree with most of that but suggesting Kilmarnock as a role model? Really?

I know the club did look at building office facilities in the corners at one point but not sure how far it got.

The facade of the 1877 club could definitely do with some work, that I definitely agree with.

As I said earlier I understand Street Stuff are making use of the facility and the club is keen to rent it out as much as possible. Maybe there are moves afoot to advertise that more.

5 minutes ago, div said:

I don't disagree with most of that but suggesting Kilmarnock as a role model? Really?

I know the club did look at building office facilities in the corners at one point but not sure how far it got.

The facade of the 1877 club could definitely do with some work, that I definitely agree with.

As I said earlier I understand Street Stuff are making use of the facility and the club is keen to rent it out as much as possible. Maybe there are moves afoot to advertise that more.

Yeah i heard the plans re office buildings may be back for consideration, they are easy to build and notoriously hard to keep occupied, where as a 100 year lease to a developer with retailers already signed up a la Renfrew Road gets the type of footfall you want at the stadium. Its only my opinion but i believe it is high time ST Mirren either thought outside the box, or got people to do that for them, instead of piecemeal, not joined up interventions.

Killie got a hotel and bar doing well, just not the football club. It highlights how much you need the experts in hospitality/retail on board. To try not to bore all and sundry too much, Sunderland now have as well as a range of matchday formal and informal hospitaity offers, a seperate hospitality and events company who run these and other sites in the city, a partnership with a hotel just built on club land, the stadium hosts everything from concerts, to graduation ceremonies, and is open for Sunday lunch, fathers/mothers day etc (fixtures permitting) as well as loads of events aimed at fans.

they also like a lot of clubs have tv screens by the snack bars to encourage fans in early to watch the early live kick off whilst spending at the snack bar.

Edited by Lord Pityme

I'd like to think Gordon and the new board will be bringing innovative ideas to the club. That after all was the biggest criticism of the last board who were freely admitting they didn't have the energy to invest in new ideas.

Money as always will be the big issue but I'd hope that a successful businessman like Gordon would be willing to invest in solid opportunities in order to make a return.

The club ain't exactly a goldmine but there is definitley scope for it making more revenue than it does at the moment, I'm sure everyone would agree with that.

Everything is cut to the bone at the football club, with every available penny going into the squad, but personally I think some money needs to be spent on the infrastructure/facilities to try and develop sustainable long term increasses in revenue.

Definitely agree that the expertise to achieve probably isn't there so the club shouldn't be shy about getting help.

The running track is a great idea . Look how much revenue it generates at Sunderland FC . Absolutely Jam packed with Kids every day running round ,jumping over things , stopping occasionally to enjoy a latte macchiato and amaretto biccy . And all this with the added bonus of only having to walk "a few yards" to get there while their parents enjoy some last minute shopping in the city centre before they fly off

The running track is a great idea . Look how much revenue it generates at Sunderland FC . Absolutely Jam packed with Kids every day running round ,jumping over things , stopping occasionally to enjoy a latte macchiato and amaretto biccy . And all this with the added bonus of only having to walk "a few yards" to get there while their parents enjoy some last minute shopping in the city centre before they fly off

You mock but actually on club grounds is the Sunderland Aquatic Centre - the most popular participant sport ahead of running and football.

1 hour ago, div said:

When the paperwork for the last AGM came out it was mentioned about creating office space in the stadium to rent out. Was that meant to go in the space where the bar is now?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

When the paperwork for the last AGM came out it was mentioned about creating office space in the stadium to rent out. Was that meant to go in the space where the bar is now?

A bit of both. There were a couple of offices constructed in the corridor just before what became the bar area. Can't recall who uses them but there are tenants in them.

I think the club always saw the void as being some sort of function area.

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Fuxake , now he wants a swimming pool!! emoji23.png. Mind you , there might be a chance we could integrate it in our new velodrome emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Again you mock, but Renfrewshire Council want to bulldoze most of Ferguslie Park to create a Sports Village. You'd almost think someone was consulting with me..... :rolleyes: It's just a shame that so far Renfrewshire Council doesn't appear to have realised what the biggest participation sports are in the UK but maybe they'll come round to it. f**king hockey. Why and who the f**k for? :rolleyes: 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Fuxake , now he wants a swimming pool!! emoji23.png. Mind you , there might be a chance we could integrate it in our new velodrome emoji23.pngemoji23.png

With all the facilities SD wants in Greenhill Road we might have to rethink the stadium name. Forget Paisley 2021. More like Tardis 2016.

I thought fishing was meant to be one of the biggest participation sports. We should build a lake and fill it with salmon. Then when folk catch a fish the restaurant can cook it for them for them to eat after they've enjoyed a nice shower.

Absolute disgrace the previous board didn't do this. I know where I'll be telling SMiSA to spend my £2 a month.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I thought fishing was meant to be one of the biggest participation sports. We should build a lake and fill it with salmon. Then when folk catch a fish the restaurant can cook it for them for them to eat after they've enjoyed a nice shower.

Absolute disgrace the previous board didn't do this. I know where I'll be telling SMiSA to spend my £2 a month.

Rubbish. 

http://www.totalsportek.com/list/popular-sports-united-kingdom

Do you journalists ever do research? 

Actually thinking about it, I understand the problem. You guys are all from Renfrewshire. The idea of swimming and water must be totally alien to you. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Ah now see here's the issue I have with you a lot of the time Div. Check your own website. 

1. I have never claimed that anything at Greenhill Road will ever be a gold mine. Nothing, whether it's football or cups of coffee. Don't put words in my mouth. 

2. I objected to the use of public funding being used to finance the dome when the dome clearly wasn't going to be given to the community to use. I also objected to SMiSA money being used to put an asset onto the stadium at a point where the board of directors were trying to sell the club - especially when it was the supporters of the club they were trying to offload their shares too. 

3. The car park is indeed being used 7 days per week, by a company who have rented the space off St Mirren FC. Any profits do not go directly to the club. What does appear ridiculous though is that where you have footfall there's no attempt to cash in on it. 

4. Going by the figures at Motherwell AC, the running track brings in around 50 kids a night on training nights. There are bigger running clubs through in Renfrewshire. On race event days you are looking at several thousands of people in attendance either competing or watching and in all day long. It's a shame St Mirren thought it was ridiculous when West Ham found solutions and the Maracana is still classed as one of the legendary football stadiums despite the running track. 

5. So long as there is footfall into the stadium 365 days a year, or at least most of the days per year there is potential for increased revenue. If the stadium continues to operate as an 18 days a year venue it continues to be nothing more than an expensive white elephant built as a vanity project rather than a viable business location

I actually laughed out loud at point 3.

Guest TPAFKATS
Nope, again you'll need to show me where I ever suggested building a hotel. You are just doing what you always do when losing the debate. You put words in where they don't exist, I'm just proving you wrong. Where there is a comfortable facility next to the park and ride, many people do actually use them. I certainly have done, so have thousands of others. 

There's a remarkable lack of self awareness in this post.

The Stuart Dickson you meet in person isn't the same person you read online.

Stuart is actually a reasonable bloke when you talk to him face to face. I think he just likes trolling forums looking for a reaction.

He still gets one even after all these years of trotting out the same tired old lines.

You could play Buzzword Bingo with Stuart quite easily.

I'd wager that 90% of his posts contain at least one of Community, Athletics, Running Tracks, Customer, Gilmour, Hendrie, Business, Wishaw, Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Sunderland, Money, Council, Kids, Sons, Amateurs or Rubbish.

Guest TPAFKATS
The Stuart Dickson you meet in person isn't the same person you read online.

Stuart is actually a reasonable bloke when you talk to him face to face. I think he just likes trolling forums looking for a reaction.

He still gets one even after all these years of trotting out the same tired old lines.

You could play Buzzword Bingo with Stuart quite easily.

I'd wager that 90% of his posts contain at least one of Community, Athletics, Running Tracks, Customer, Gilmour, Hendrie, Business, Wishaw, Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Sunderland, Money, Council, Kids, Sons, Amateurs or Rubbish.

Salmond, Sturgeon, Natsi, Snp, Germany

Could someone work out a projection of revenue based on a fully utilised facility, on a no entry fee, compared to empty with members subs.

If viable offer founder members their subs back after the builders have been paid with the bonus of s discount card or a 10% return on investment. ?
This could maximise revenue and ensure never defaulting with the builders and clearing this debt quicker?

While some of the ideas (coffee shop) sound nice, you've got to look at the facilities in the surrounding areas.

Take the Experience at Hillington as an example. I took a team of 40 people there for a sales meeting and some team building. Fantastic venue, modern, clean and the people very welcoming. But even on a Friday, the cafe there was pretty quiet and you've got countless businesses and footfall in that area.

We offer very little, and those that do utilise the space at St Mirren Park at the moment are probably teary eyed, nostalgic, Saints fans.