1877 Club

div

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Rubbish. 

http://www.totalsportek.com/list/popular-sports-united-kingdom

Do you journalists ever do research? 

Actually thinking about it, I understand the problem. You guys are all from Renfrewshire. The idea of swimming and water must be totally alien to you. 

What f**king website is that? If I tried to use that as a source for a story my editor would rightly boot me in the balls.

Good grief, you'd be as well quoting Buzzfeed or something from the awful website run by that attention seeking cocksocket Roger Mitchell.

No doubt you'll come back with something more authoritative in a bid to prove your point but you've fallen at the first fence on this one. Hmm, horse racing, that's quite popular - what we need at the ground is...

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I want a golf course built beside the aquatic centre, salmon leap, coffee bar, velodrome and running track combo.

That's where my £2 should go. Get it sorted GLS/SMiSA.

I, like may others enjoy a days hillwalking and then a pint afterwards, would it be too much to ask for a hill to be built, something in the mould of Ben Nevis would be great

16 minutes ago, bud77 said:

I, like may others enjoy a days hillwalking and then a pint afterwards, would it be too much to ask for a hill to be built, something in the mould of Ben Nevis would be great

According to this highly reliable list walking is one of the most popular sports out there - just ahead of fishing: https://www.realbuzz.com/articles/top-10-most-popular-sports

Utterly disgraceful the club haven't done anything to take advantage of this. We should also be building a squash court.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

According to this highly reliable list walking is one of the most popular sports out there - just ahead of fishing: https://www.realbuzz.com/articles/top-10-most-popular-sports

Utterly disgraceful the club haven't done anything to take advantage of this. We should also be building a squash court.

Well , in that case I'd like a tennis court . Preferably in the centre circle .

This started because I said you need more footfall on non match days to make a coffee shop work and I said parents waiting on their kids drink coffee. I'd stand by that. There is space at Greenhill Road and facilities - limited as they are - that could be utilised with a bit of thought.

However I've enjoyed the knock about stuff since because that was exactly how the Atlantis in Oban expanded. If someone had a proposal, they'd ask for a business plan and if it was feasible the new facility would be added. They've now built major new sports halls, added five football pitches, rock climbing walls, soft play, a community play Park and loads of other activities to what we essentially just a swimming pool 20 years ago. I might be mixing up my CICs too but I'm sure one of them added a world class mountain biking course to theirs... So aye building hills is possible if the community wants it and you've got the buy in of the community. I keep saying the potential is unlimited when you involve the community and time and time again people on here prove they are limited by their own closed minds. It's sad really. After all Oban is a small town compared to Paisley

Stuart, I've been watching your comparisons to "Atlantis" with interest..........you did this in a previous thread and there are some glaring inaccuracies in your portrayal of "Atlantis" in what it is, has, and how it has come to be what it is. For a start the sports hall was built on the back of  fundraising campaign in the local community which over time raised, if I remember correctly, around £400,000.00 (a major amount of that money was given from the various hotel groups and chains operating in the area) and over £1m of donations from the "National Lottery". In the mid 90's you got quite a lot for that kind of spend.

You are correct that the centre is based on putting profits back in to the charity to be re-invested on further developments and there have been great success stories along the way, you are also correct that people put forward proposals and if thought viable and add value to the centre and to the community working parties will look at how they can be created. However, Atlantis doesn't have five football pitches ..... it has a five a side pitch. Atlantis has tennis courts and gym facilities as well as the sports hall facilities.

I have a strong attachment to Oban and although we are very proud of it ...... Atlantis is a great facility in it's area, built on grants and funding plus local input but I don't think any of us involved would consider it "world class".

Edited by WeeBud

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

This started because I said you need more footfall on non match days to make a coffee shop work and I said parents waiting on their kids drink coffee. I'd stand by that. There is space at Greenhill Road and facilities - limited as they are - that could be utilised with a bit of thought.

However I've enjoyed the knock about stuff since because that was exactly how the Atlantis in Oban expanded. If someone had a proposal, they'd ask for a business plan and if it was feasible the new facility would be added. They've now built major new sports halls, added five football pitches, rock climbing walls, soft play, a community play Park and loads of other activities to what we essentially just a swimming pool 20 years ago. I might be mixing up my CICs too but I'm sure one of them added a world class mountain biking course to theirs... So aye building hills is possible if the community wants it and you've got the buy in of the community. I keep saying the potential is unlimited when you involve the community and time and time again people on here prove they are limited by their own closed minds. It's sad really. After all Oban is a small town compared to Paisley

Ideas frighten people, especially ideas that require their buy-in to a greater or lesser degree. Its nothing short of miraculous that the dome got built!

I'm amused by the notion that if you disagree that a proposed idea is a good one you are instantly pigeon holed as being "small minded" and now "frightened".

It's laughable that the "frightened" people are the ones that put their money down to help get the bar built in the first place. Now we're told we're dismissive of change.

I'd hope that in time SMiSA will have a mechanism in place to allow fans to submit ideas that could help generate revenue for the football club.

Those submitting ideas need to accept that very often ideas that are written on paper, such as for example building a running track in the stadium and installing retractable seating, aren't actually that practical.

I'm sure there's not much to lose in opening the 1877 club as a coffee shop every day outside of matchdays. Perhaps the club will consider that idea. Personally I think it's barking but then again I'm a frightened wee narrow minded soul.

Stuart, I've been watching your comparisons to "Atlantis" with interest..........you did this in a previous thread and there are some glaring inaccuracies in your portrayal of "Atlantis" in what it is, has, and how it has come to be what it is. For a start the sports hall was built on the back of  fundraising campaign in the local community which over time raised, if I remember correctly, around £400,000.00 (a major amount of that money was given from the various hotel groups and chains operating in the area) and over £1m of donations from the "National Lottery". In the mid 90's you got quite a lot for that kind of spend.

You are correct that the centre is based on putting profits back in to the charity to be re-invested on further developments and there have been great success stories along the way, you are also correct that people put forward proposals and if thought viable and add value to the centre and to the community working parties will look at how they can be created. However, Atlantis doesn't have five football pitches ..... it has a five a side pitch. Atlantis has tennis courts and gym facilities as well as the sports hall facilities.

I have a strong attachment to Oban and although we are very proud of it ...... Atlantis is a great facility in it's area, built on grants and funding plus local input but I don't think any of us involved would consider it "world class".

At the SEN conference I was at there were a number of similar set ups all presenting so it's possible I've got a bit of a mash up with others. I did suggest I may have done when talking about the mountain biking. What I do know is that The Atlantis were pushed forward as one of the first companies to use an SEN model without their organisers ever realising that's what they were doing.

Regardless, I don't see any reason why St Mirren couldn't copy many of the examples out there. Open up what you've got, reinvest and apply for grants and funding to expand and just make sure you do it well and you do it for the community.

When I was 16 growing up in Hillington I could never imagine people going to Renfrew for dinner. How many restaurants are there at Xscape today?

It is barking Div, because while scope to increase commercial revenue certainly exists at St Mirren, one way of doing it wouldn't be to open a coffee shop at a football stadium pretty much slap bang in Scotland's most deprived area that has fcuk-all around it other than the businesses across the road - which are already well seved by the Buddie Good Food van for a cuppa.

People who have kids at the dome, folk dropping off cars before hoping their flight crew at Paisley International Airport aren't pished oot' their skulls from a bevvy session the night before...

Aye, that 'footfall' merits Cafe Nero Feegie.

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS

Would the dome be a suitable mould for a ben nevis?

Guest TPAFKATS

At the SEN conference I was at there were a number of similar set ups all presenting so it's possible I've got a bit of a mash up with others. I did suggest I may have done when talking about the mountain biking. What I do know is that The Atlantis were pushed forward as one of the first companies to use an SEN model without their organisers ever realising that's what they were doing.

Regardless, I don't see any reason why St Mirren couldn't copy many of the examples out there. Open up what you've got, reinvest and apply for grants and funding to expand and just make sure you do it well and you do it for the community.

When I was 16 growing up in Hillington I could never imagine people going to Renfrew for dinner. How many restaurants are there at Xscape today?

Wait a minute, is this the same poster who previously criticised St. Mirren for applying for a grant to build a dome that is used by the wider community?

BTW, when I was a teenager I never spent time imagining people having dinner in Renfrew either. Unless 'having a buffet at the Highland star' was a euphemism?

2 hours ago, div said:

I'm amused by the notion that if you disagree that a proposed idea is a good one you are instantly pigeon holed as being "small minded" and now "frightened".

It's laughable that the "frightened" people are the ones that put their money down to help get the bar built in the first place. Now we're told we're dismissive of change.

I'd hope that in time SMiSA will have a mechanism in place to allow fans to submit ideas that could help generate revenue for the football club.

Those submitting ideas need to accept that very often ideas that are written on paper, such as for example building a running track in the stadium and installing retractable seating, aren't actually that practical.

I'm sure there's not much to lose in opening the 1877 club as a coffee shop every day outside of matchdays. Perhaps the club will consider that idea. Personally I think it's barking but then again I'm a frightened wee narrow minded soul.

Errr... I think you've been whooshed by my ironic dig at dicko. Still puzzled about your level of hate though?

Wait a minute, is this the same poster who previously criticised St. Mirren for applying for a grant to build a dome that is used by the wider community?

BTW, when I was a teenager I never spent time imagining people having dinner in Renfrew either. Unless 'having a buffet at the Highland star' was a euphemism?

The dome was never for the wider community. That was one of my issues. It was only ever going to be used by St Mirren.

16 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The dome was never for the wider community. That was one of my issues. It was only ever going to be used by St Mirren.

I was at the under-20s game last night and when I left the Dome was full of kids playing football.

I know of at least two local football clubs who use it for training, and I know my local primary school have used it for School matches a few times.

Still, let's not let these pesky facts get in the way Stuart!

Here's another idea everyone can rip apart from someone who has thirty odd years Retail management, strategy, planning, development and acqusitions experience, mind you what would I know?

move the pokey wee club shop, up into the 1877 club, revamp the club to an attaractive cafe/bar offer (not too costly to do, just a wash & brush up) and really sweat the asset by selling drinks, food, merchandise, tickets to the people who have gone out of their way to come to the stadium. Disabled access via the lift in reception.

turn the empty shop into a hot food takeaway open everyday and take money back from the burger vans.

or just keep rubbishing all ideas to generate alternative income streams for the club.... I wonder what we would choose?

33 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Am I?

i comment and quote, give ideas. Your Response to the overwhelming majority is very hostile, and i cant fathom why that is?

Hostile?

I don't agree with the vast majority of the suggestions on these last few pages. That's my opinion. I've been quite clear in why I don't think they are particularly good suggestions.

You think they are wonderful. I don't. I'm the one being called narrow and small minded and "frightened".

I've not resorted to name calling. I just don't agree that many of the suggestions made are particularly good ones.

That's my opinion. You don't need to agree with it. That's why we have a forum.

Hostile?

I don't agree with the vast majority of the suggestions on these last few pages. That's my opinion. I've been quite clear in why I don't think they are particularly good suggestions.

You think they are wonderful. I don't. I'm the one being called narrow and small minded and "frightened".

I've not resorted to name calling. I just don't agree that many of the suggestions made are particularly good ones.

That's my opinion. You don't need to agree with it. That's why we have a forum.

No name calling? I'll need to check back but I'm pretty sure you said I had completely lost it and was bonkers.

What is interesting though is the number of users on here more interested in destruction than in having an open mind to ideas that may or may not work. I've put one of my ideas out there to be ridiculed so maybe you're right and I am bonkers. But who else in their *right mind* would be willing to put there ideas out for the same kind of abuse?

Imagine if my idea was that the club spend somewhere between £12m and £18m building a facility that would only get used 18 times a year. Now that is a bonkers idea.....yet some wanted to name the stadium after the man responsible. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

No name calling? I'll need to check back but I'm pretty sure you said I had completely lost it and was bonkers.

What is interesting though is the number of users on here more interested in destruction than in having an open mind to ideas that may or may not work. I've put one of my ideas out there to be ridiculed so maybe you're right and I am bonkers. But who else in their *right mind* would be willing to put there ideas out for the same kind of abuse?

Imagine if my idea was that the club spend somewhere between £12m and £18m building a facility that would only get used 18 times a year. Now that is a bonkers idea.....yet some wanted to name the stadium after the man responsible. :rolleyes:

I said in my opinion your idea to build a running track and put in retractable seats into our stadium was barking.

Why is it that anyone who disagrees with a suggestion is being labelled as small minded. You've done it again here.

Claiming the stadium is only used 18 times a year is quite an incredible statement Stuart. It's right up there with your claim that the Dome isn't used by anyone except the football club. The Car Park is more or less full every single day. There are community events happening every other day.

There was an email sent out today inviting community clubs to a presentation day in the hospitality suite in September for example.

If you didn't come out with whopping great dollops of shite like that then maybe people would take your other posts more seriously.