1877 Club

div

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There was a debate on radio Scotland about Ferguslie being the most deprived area in Scotland . It was said Renfrewshire council are going to build a sports complex next to St Mirren Park. Anyone else heard anything about this ?

The Sports Village has been discussed previously mate.

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/article/2260/15m-sports-village-could-be-game-changer-for-Ferguslie

I said in my opinion your idea to build a running track and put in retractable seats into our stadium was barking.

Why is it that anyone who disagrees with a suggestion is being labelled as small minded. You've done it again here.

Claiming the stadium is only used 18 times a year is quite an incredible statement Stuart. It's right up there with your claim that the Dome isn't used by anyone except the football club. The Car Park is more or less full every single day. There are community events happening every other day.

There was an email sent out today inviting community clubs to a presentation day in the hospitality suite in September for example.

If you didn't come out with whopping great dollops of shite like that then maybe people would take your other posts more seriously.

Strange. The car park wasn't full on match day for the Hibs game. I wonder what happened there. :rolleyes:

Anyone who was at the 20s game last night will tell you the car park behind the west stand was heaving. I can only assume the airport car parking has been a big success.

I know that won't fit with your agenda of slating everything the club does but sadly for you, it's true.

I'm sure any of the other Buddies who were there last night will confirm that is the case.

Anyone who was at the 20s game last night will tell you the car park behind the west stand was heaving. I can only assume the airport car parking has been a big success.

I know that won't fit with your agenda of slating everything the club does but sadly for you, it's true.

I'm sure any of the other Buddies who were there last night will confirm that is the case.

But it does fit my agenda Div. I've been saying the footfall has to be there. Now the club has to monetise that footfall. That's basic. We talked about this a few posts back. St Mirren rent out the car park so it being full or empty doesn't matter unless St Mirren can find a way to make money off those parking their cars. You rubbished the idea of coffee, showers etc so let's hear your winning idea..

22 minutes ago, div said:

Yip.

I was really surprised how full the car park was.

I had to park right up at the south stand end of the car park.

It's not like Fatty to talk utter shite.

Surely the issue is only to make more money on the days it is already open? If it was to be open 7 days a week for 8 hours it would cost roughly 20 grand at minimum wage to staff it with one member of staff then up to about 24ish with employers NI. Pension I'm not sure about. That's before any stock has been bought, any cleaning products, any utility bills have been paid. Realistically it would have to be making probably 50 or 60 grand to break even. Barking mad. Some way of opening it up to non members and making more money when it's already open and staffed would be ideal.

Some of these ideas are mental and a sure fire way for it to go down the pan. If there was any market for a coffee shop/restaurant/pub outside of match days in a lego football ground situated in a shitehole with only a couple of businesses across the road there would already be one.

25 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

But it does fit my agenda Div. I've been saying the footfall has to be there. Now the club has to monetise that footfall. That's basic. We talked about this a few posts back. St Mirren rent out the car park so it being full or empty doesn't matter unless St Mirren can find a way to make money off those parking their cars. You rubbished the idea of coffee, showers etc so let's hear your winning idea..

So you admit then that your claim that the stadium is used 18 times a year is complete and utter nonsense?

Do you also admit that your claim the Dome is only used by St.Mirren is complete and utter nonsense?

Once you admit to making stuff up we can then move on, but if you're just going to continue to lie and twist things to suit yourself then I've no interest in discussing anything with you.

10 minutes ago, div said:

So you admit then that your claim that the stadium is used 18 times a year is complete and utter nonsense?

Do you also admit that your claim the Dome is only used by St.Mirren is complete and utter nonsense?

Once you admit to making stuff up we can then move on, but if you're just going to continue to lie and twist things to suit yourself then I've no interest in discussing anything with you.

:lol:

So that's a no to any ideas of how to cash in then?

Div when the dome was proposed it was that it was to used by St Mirren's youth set up, the 1st team and by the Panda Club. If they've now opened it up to local youth clubs then that is fantastic. Where do the parents go?

The car park is a recent development. It was never proposed when the stadium was built. The ground back then was a football stadium with 3 tiny pitches suitable for 3 a sides but advertised as 7 a side, and a club shop that was too small to be any use to the guys providing the service.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There was a debate on radio Scotland about Ferguslie being the most deprived area in Scotland . It was said Renfrewshire council are going to build a sports complex next to St Mirren Park. Anyone else heard anything about this ?

And yet there is a never ending queue of posters on here rubbishing the idea the 1877 club could be open seven days a week to the massive footfall and opportunities that scheme will bring. Perhaps they will be happier when someone else spots the potential and opens up, then they can lay into the club for not getting ahead of the curve.

can only hope the board are a more open minded than sections of our support.

30 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

So that's a no to any ideas of how to cash in then?

Div when the dome was proposed it was that it was to used by St Mirren's youth set up, the 1st team and by the Panda Club. If they've now opened it up to local youth clubs then that is fantastic. Where do the parents go?

The car park is a recent development. It was never proposed when the stadium was built. The ground back then was a football stadium with 3 tiny pitches suitable for 3 a sides but advertised as 7 a side, and a club shop that was too small to be any use to the guys providing the service.

So you now freely admit that the club is making some use of the assets it has, having spent years rubbishing the club for doing nothing.

This is progress. Well done, it takes a big guy to admit when they are wrong and have made a fool of themselves in public.

Now onto my ideas on how the club can generate more revenue?

I make my living helping organisations make money from the internet. I'd like to see the club website improved and I'd like to see it embracing e-commerce in a number of areas to make it easier for local organisations and supporters to spend money. At the moment there are barriers in place that make spending money difficult. It should be as easy as possible.

My experience is that fans WANT to spend money with the club, but we make it difficult to do so. It's low hanging fruit but it's a starter for ten. Booking the Dome, Booking Hospitality, Buying Bricks, Booking the Function Suite for a Funeral or Wedding Reception, Booking the 1877 Club for a 21st party. These are all very do-able, and crucially the infrastructure for all of them is already there. We just need to sell it better and make it as easy as possible to buy.

An improved website with some e-commerce functionality. That's my suggestion.

So, no real invesment, increased utilisation of existing assets, more revenue and happier fans who no longer need to fill in forms or travel to the stadium to order stuff.

That's where I'd start anyway because that's where my skills lie.

I don't know anything about running restaurants, coffee bars or car parks so I can't really propose solid business ideas around those, as I'd just be making stuff up. I'll leave that to you.

39 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

And yet there is a never ending queue of posters on here rubbishing the idea the 1877 club could be open seven days a week to the massive footfall and opportunities that scheme will bring. Perhaps they will be happier when someone else spots the potential and opens up, then they can lay into the club for not getting ahead of the curve.

can only hope the board are a more open minded than sections of our support.

You do love absolutely laying into "sections of our support" don't you fella?

We all actually support the same team you know, it's just that we don't all share the same opinions.

If you weren't so condescending with your posts I dare say you've got some decent points to make but I find it hard to swallow the sneering down your nose approach that you take.

"I'm right everyone else is a fucking idiot" isn't really a great way to get your point across.

Just saying.

31 minutes ago, zebrakid said:

Getting back onto the original topic perhaps those behind the 1877 club should pop along to Cliiftonhill on Saturday and see how this works out for Albion Rovers http://albionroversfc.co.uk/pie-and-pint-rovers-v-st-mirren/

I don't really understand what's being offered here mate!

The club is running a pre-match ‘Pie and Pint’ for both home and away supporters in the Gordon Dishington Sponsors Lounge.

For the small cost of £10 a head you can pop in to the Lounge pre-match and help yourself to a pie and refreshments.

We hope that rather than pop in to your usual watering hole, our fans will come along and help support the club both on and off the pitch.

The Lounge will open at 2pm and entry is through the door connecting the lounge to the Main Stand.

Please Note – £10 fee: is in addition to the admission price at the gate. Entry is £10 for Adults / Conc £5 (kids £5).

To book your place please email [email protected] by Friday 2pm.

So, it it a pie and a pint for £10?

Or is it "help yourself to as many pies and pints as you like within an hour" for £10?

The former doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

The latter sounds amazing.

13 minutes ago, div said:

So you now freely admit that the club is making some use of the assets it has, having spent years rubbishing the club for doing nothing.

This is progress. Well done, it takes a big guy to admit when they are wrong and have made a fool of themselves in public.

Now onto my ideas on how the club can generate more revenue?

I make my living helping organisations make money from the internet. I'd like to see the club website improved and I'd like to see it embracing e-commerce in a number of areas to make it easier for local organisations and supporters to spend money. At the moment there are barriers in place that make spending money difficult. It should be as easy as possible.

My experience is that fans WANT to spend money with the club, but we make it difficult to do so. It's low hanging fruit but it's a starter for ten. Booking the Dome, Booking Hospitality, Buying Bricks, Booking the Function Suite for a Funeral or Wedding Reception, Booking the 1877 Club for a 21st party. These are all very do-able, and crucially the infrastructure for all of them is already there. We just need to sell it better and make it as easy as possible to buy.

An improved website with some e-commerce functionality. That's my suggestion.

So, no real invesment, increased utilisation of existing assets, more revenue and happier fans who no longer need to fill in forms or travel to the stadium to order stuff.

That's where I'd start anyway because that's where my skills lie.

I don't know anything about running restaurants, coffee bars or car parks so I can't really propose solid business ideas around those, as I'd just be making stuff up. I'll leave that to you.

Well done. See that wasn't painful. 

2 minutes ago, div said:

I don't really understand what's being offered here mate!

So, it it a pie and a pint for £10?

Or is it "help yourself to as many pies and pints as you like within an hour" for £10?

The former doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

The latter sounds amazing.

See your point If it is the latter who is nominated driver (I suspect 1 pie & ! Pint)

1 hour ago, div said:

I think that rather than open a coffee shop now, it would be better to get details of the sports village plan as SMFC appear to be a part of it. If the 1877 club and other facilities at the club could be used in conjunction with this plan then there would be a much greater footfall to take advantage of. The problem would be if the sports village had it's own cafe/bar complex then there would be competition.At the moment I don't think the location of the club would generate enough footfall to make a cafe/bar a success, people going to the Phoenix are already well served with various options and it's just far enough out from the town for shoppers to pop in for a quick coffee. That only leaves the works close by and possibly the occasional person using the parking facilities.

One thing the club could possibly think of is a sort of park and ride using St James' station and targeting people who work in Glasgow.

25 minutes ago, div said:

You do love absolutely laying into "sections of our support" don't you fella?

We all actually support the same team you know, it's just that we don't all share the same opinions.

If you weren't so condescending with your posts I dare say you've got some decent points to make but I find it hard to swallow the sneering down your nose approach that you take.

"I'm right everyone else is a f**king idiot" isn't really a great way to get your point across.

Just saying.

Another hate-filled rant, really dont get why you attack fellow saints fans?

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

...it being full or empty doesn't matter unless St Mirren can find a way to make money off those parking their cars. 

I've used airport car parking loads of times. Never once have I had the urge to have a coffee, shower or anything else at the car parking site other than to get the shuttle bus to the airport or get off the bus and get to my car so I can drive home.

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Another hate-filled rant, really dont get why you attack fellow saints fans?

Yeah you like playing that card. You do it a lot.

That's Hatred & Hostility you've accused me of today!

You are the one putting fellow fans into "sections" and inferring that they are stupid because they don't happen to agree with you but hey, it's me that's in the wrong. My bad!