So Farewell Then The Duke of Westminster

shull

Going to say a couple of  things about the late Dook.

1   He was born in dear old Ulster.

2   He couldnae help being born with a gold spoon crammed doon his throat.

3   He employed a helluva lot of people.

4   His Auntie Anne owned Arkle, the most beautiful racehorse ever to lift hoof. He was named after a Scottish mountain.

5   His mother was killed outside Dungannon driving her Jag at allegedly over 100 mph. at the age of 74.

6   RIP.

46 minutes ago, RickMcD said:

Going to say a couple of  things about the late Dook.

1   He was born in dear old Ulster.

2   He couldnae help being born with a gold spoon crammed doon his throat.

3   He employed a helluva lot of people.

4   His Auntie Anne owned Arkle, the most beautiful racehorse ever to lift hoof. He was named after a Scottish mountain.

5   His mother was killed outside Dungannon driving her Jag at allegedly over 100 mph. at the age of 74.

6   RIP.

7. Seemingly he is leaving £8.3bn.  That, for me, is an obscenity, regardless of how pretty his auntie's racehorse was.

Edited by Drew

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

7. Seemingly he is leaving £8.3bn.  That, for me, is an obscenity, regardless of how pretty his auntie's racehorse was.

But, he has maybe left it to you, my dear Buddie :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I kind of understand your feeling that it's an obscenity but it's a difficult one to pass judgment on. If you were head of a family which had built up a £8.3bn. over the centuries, as far as we know honestly, would you be willing to give away billions to salve your conscience or whatever?  Remember, too, the bulk of his money by a long way is tied up in real estate. He will have paid a lot of tax in his lifetime and I doubt very much that his estate will totally avoid inheritance tax. He popped his clogs a bit young to have a lot sorted out in terms of tax avoidance. And at what level does obscene begin? And who decides that figure?

He will have paid a lot of tax in his lifetime ................................

Paid tax?  There was one year when I paid more tax than him and another when UK tax paid him £3M.  And as for inheritance tax the Dukes of Westminster barely pay anything in death duties and their tax affairs are sorted out at birth. Today's money pages are full of it.

Read this