Stephen Mallan and Dundee

div

2 hours ago, linwood bud said:

Just read today that Stoke want a lad from Utd for 200k that's played just 3 games, there is no way in hell I will be happy if Mallan leaves us for less than £400k up front. Yeah he is having a dip in form who isn't? A goal scoring midfielder is worth their weight in gold.

Clubs are often more willing to splash out on a younger player on the fringes of first team football rather than one with 50-odd games like Mallan - a more reasonable comparison would be the rumours about Kyle McAllister. That's the crazy world of football these days............

How does £200k from Stoke to Dundee United for a player equate with nobody other than Dundee interested in Mallan, for £400k?

It doesn't equate, I'm merely highlighting how much is on offer for a player with none to little experience, it also gets my goat why we continue to let or sell our better players for peanuts, we as a club should tell anyone interested in Mallan that the bidding starts at £400k. This lets them no to bugger off with crap offers it also doesn't let the players head get turned with "oooo Dundee are in for me" and let's him concentrate on his game

14 hours ago, linwood bud said:

It doesn't equate, I'm merely highlighting how much is on offer for a player with none to little experience, it also gets my goat why we continue to let or sell our better players for peanuts, we as a club should tell anyone interested in Mallan that the bidding starts at £400k. This lets them no to bugger off with crap offers it also doesn't let the players head get turned with "oooo Dundee are in for me" and let's him concentrate on his game

Little to no experience is paying for potential though and the chance that a player might be an unearthed gem. After 50 odd games strengths and weaknesses are known. English clubs can afford to fling relatively big money towards potential. Unfortunately I don't think mallans near the level of the top few leagues in England and by the looks of it no English clubs do either. In time he'll probably be a pretty good player at our level but he's not the next Messi or Ronaldo. 

There's a fat guy on YouTube who hits free kicks like nobodies business. Doesnt make him a great footballer though!

6 hours ago, slapsalmon said:

There's a fat guy on YouTube who hits free kicks like nobodies business. Doesnt make him a great footballer though!

Aye, and there's a fat guy on here who can cite Wikipedia like nobody's business. Doesn't make him smart though!

Agree about the potential aspect, I just think that we should be talking our talent up, yeah he has had a poor start as I say but he is a good player and will prove that when he does move, like I say teams like Falkirk/Hamilton and even sevco can all get good money for youngsters yet we can't

22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

From the Hootsmon this morning ...

• Dundee boss Paul Hartley has given up hope of signing Stevie Mallan from St Mirren after a £75k bid was rejected, and won’t offer a contract to ex-Auxerre player Lynel Kitambala

Good.

Greg Stewart (26) scored 11 goals last season as a striker and was sold for £500,000 plus bonus payments depending on performance.

Stevie Mallan (20) scores 14 goals last season from midfield and Dundee want him for £75K? They are having a f**kin laugh.

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

Greg Stewart (26) scored 11 goals last season as a striker and was sold for £500,000 plus bonus payments depending on performance.

Stevie Mallan (20) scores 14 goals last season from midfield and Dundee want him for £75K? They are having a f**kin laugh.

1 did it in the top league against better defenders. The other 1 did it in a lower league and did Stewart take any penalty kicks ? In saying all that, yes he is worth a lot more than 75K.

29 minutes ago, renfrew said:

1 did it in the top league against better defenders. The other 1 did it in a lower league and did Stewart take any penalty kicks ? In saying all that, yes he is worth a lot more than 75K.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am sure few on here would have known the different situations :)

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, Sonny said:

And just to highlight that Morton turned down a "6 figure" bid from Rotherham for the boy Quitongo who has less than 10 first team appearances and just a couple of goals under his belt. Scottish managers are taking the piss when it comes to signing home grown talent.

Not just Scottish managers. Everybody knows there is no money up here to fund transfers. As I've said before players are only worth what others will pay for them. £100K for an 18 year old is the sort of gamble clubs down south are willing to take and clubs up here can't afford.

On 31/08/2016 at 4:59 PM, Ayrshire Saints said:

And just to highlight that Morton turned down a "6 figure" bid from Rotherham for the boy Quitongo who has less than 10 first team appearances and just a couple of goals under his belt. Scottish managers are taking the piss when it comes to signing home grown talent.

There was a 6 figure bid from Darren Ferguson at Doncaster Rovers and a couple of English Premiership teams are said to be keen on him, but there was nothing from Rotherham. Jst a few months ago Quitongo was offered to a number of clubs in Scotland after Aberdeen released him, including St Mirren. Only Morton took the punt. 

51 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

There was a 6 figure bid from Darren Ferguson at Doncaster Rovers and a couple of English Premiership teams are said to be keen on him, but there was nothing from Rotherham. Jst a few months ago Quitongo was offered to a number of clubs in Scotland after Aberdeen released him, including St Mirren. Only Morton took the punt. 

He wasn't offered to anyone.

He was released, became a free agent and any team in Scotland could have picked him up.

We did however pick up Kalvin Orsi from Aberdeen after they released him. Having seen him midweek, he looks an excellent prospect.

Edited by FTOF

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He wasn't offered to anyone.

He was released, became a free agent and any team in Scotland could have picked him up.

We did however pick up Kalvin Orsi from Aberdeen after they released him. Having seen him midweek, he looks an excellent prospect.

Whatever way you want to put it St Mirren had a chance to sign him and knocked it back saying he wasn't better than what the club already had. I'm struggling to see anyone at St Mirren worth 6 figures to any clubs anywhere right now. 

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Only 10 minutes into Tuesday's game I posted on here that I liked the look of him. He's only 19, built like a brick shit-house, had great tenacity, strong running, shooting and passing and genuinely thought he deserved to be involved today.

I hope Shankland and Hardie aren't going to hold him back.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

4 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Whatever way you want to put it St Mirren had a chance to sign him and knocked it back saying he wasn't better than what the club already had. I'm struggling to see anyone at St Mirren worth 6 figures to any clubs anywhere right now. 

St.Mirren knocked him back?

Really?

Even if we did, which we didn't, every other team in Scotland (bar Morton) "knocked him back". I wonder how Brendan Rogers sleeps at night having "knocked him back".

Are you determined to make a complete c**t of yourself on every thread you post on?

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

St.Mirren knocked him back?

Really?

Even if we did, which we didn't, every other team in Scotland (bar Morton) "knocked him back". I wonder how Brendan Rogers sleeps at night having "knocked him back".

Are you determined to make a complete c**t of yourself on every thread you post on?

Yep St Mirren "knocked him back".