St Mirren V Hibs 20/8/16

dr rotund

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jim Gardner's accolade as the worst St Mirren player in my lifetime is under threat. Hutton is worse than useless.

Nah, he hasn't been any worse than those I mentioned above, or Shankland  so far this season, for that matter.

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

By the same token, we managed to kick on and secure comfortable mid-table safety, so why have we become rank all of a sudden?

Quinn's arrival helped the midfield (since Goodie was only getting a place on the bench). This season we have neither Goodwin or Quinn in midfield. Last season under Rae our defence went through phases of being miserly as well as looking rank... often the time when the defence looked poor corresponded with the points when Mallan and Shankland were scoring.

I think most of the players we signed in the summer were better than most of the players we let go. My hope is that Quinn, MacKenze and Gordon can get fit and join the matchday squad... we're short in midfield and dont look as though we have too many options to improve that but I wouldn't be surprised if when we have more bodies available a spare defender / utility type players gets added to midfield.

I think Rae (I mean tactically inept Rae) made the most of the chances to take points off last year's weakest teams (Alloa, Livi, and Dumbarton and reckon we got a lot of narrow wins against that type of opposition. I don't think any teams are as easy as them this year but we have begun the league against 3 good teams or 2 good teams and one OK team.

3 hours ago, Mearns Saint said:

Morgan off for Hardie. Why?!

Morgan took a bad ankle knock after about 15 min and had never recovered ,I would have taken him off earlier.

Would like to say that Naismith is a good player, at the moment he is devoid of any confidence whatsoever he needs a rest if the manager wants the good Naismith back he must rest him.

1st half nobody marked  Gray and he did what liked.

Having said that Hibs are a very good side with strength in depth, Shinnie and Graham off the bench ,they will romp the league Ilost count the number of times young Walsh had the ball looked and the rest of the team were hiding

53 minutes ago, dr rotund said:

To be fair he came with a bit of promise after doing a good job at Dumbarton. With Rae it was more optimism and hope than evidence that he could do a good job. We look truly awful so far this season under Rae.

Murray didn't do the job at Dumbarton it was Jack Ross who is romping the 1st div with Goodie in midfield 

Today was yet another day of dissapointment as a saints fan. As someone mentioned earlier, last season we had a bit of a bounce when Rae became manager, mainly due to Quinn and Mallan in midfield. This season we have Quinn out at the moment and Mallan exposed. Naismith had a terrible game today, as did all our back four, I've been informed that the fullbacks have been told not to pass the halfway line, but surely thats bullshit. Thats part of Jasons strengths. I'm already sick of Rae coming out in the media moaning about the players but then going with the exact same plan for the next game. I'm aware that we have changed manager a bit too much over the past few seasons and I think Rae has earned a chance to rectify what is going on. but I feel that he needs to get results as soon as possible. This is his team.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Cos' we let Goody leave. 

I appreciate this may have been a tongue in cheek post but there are people that seem to believe this is the main reason we're pish (almost as good as the claim the only reason Queen of the South are better is because Hutton left).

After Rae came in last season we won nine games. Goodwin played in three of them, for a combined total of 36 minutes plus stoppage time. So, if folk really want to believe that Queens have magically got better because Hutton left, then they also have to accept that we magically got better last season because Rae sidelined Goodwin.

Do we miss having someone like Goodwin in the team? Absolutely. Doesn't mean Goodwin was *the* player that should be fulfilling that role. I also feel a bit for Quinn, who is going to have to play like Roy Keane in his pomp to justify the expectation on his shoulders. There is more than just that which is wrong.

As a player, Rae was a fully committed player who wasn't afraid to get stuck in. As I mentioned earlier, the fact we are missing those attributes - both as a team, let alone a player to do that in midfield - is staggering.

Going off at a wild tangent from that issue, I see folk are having a go at Shankland. The only players so far this season I'd cut a bit of slack to are the strikers because they are getting f**k all to work with, certainly in the two league games. They had no chances to miss today until the 84th minute and no real chances against Morton. We need to play to their strengths. I can think of one decent ball for Sutton to attack in the games I've seen and he scored it. His reward was not to start against Raith. Hardie scored against Raith and gets dropped. Well, at least none of the strikers have to worry about being dropped next week...

Its so sad to see our team in such disarray. We have a manager in Alex Rae who should be given more than 3 league games this season before any judgement about who he plays and who does not play  or the tactics he uses.

Its unlikely we will be seeing Ben Gordon due to a rumor that he and Alex Rae have differences ie Ben Gordon in his own opinion is fit to play, Alex Rae states he is not ready for the first team yet and a hostile situation has taken place with Alex Rae apparently stating Ben Gordon is available to go out on loan. Now I have little knowledge to know if this is true, if it is true then both Alex Rae and Ben Gordon can get past this because in the end its St.Mirren FC and the supporters that lose out.

I would also like to know why the man McKenzie was signed in the first place given that he was injured an injury that is getting better but then of course he has to attain fitness. We seem to be a platform for players to go on to better things as a footballer, Gregg Wylde was constantly criticized on this forum, but hey presto he is let go, goes to Plymouth where he succeeds, so does Graham Carey, arguably Dougie Imrie at Hamilton and Billy Mehmet to mention but a few.

Finally to put it another way, we can only improve.

I sat for a couple of minutes after the final whistle contemplating how far we've fallen in such a short period of time. From 3 years ago winning a major domestic honour, in the premier league, with footballers like Gowser, Goodwin, Teale, Concalves, and Thommohawk at his peak, to the utter sh*te we're currently being subjected to, struggling in the championship with barely a shot on target. It's thoroughly depressing.

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

I appreciate this may have been a tongue in cheek post but there are people that seem to believe this is the main reason we're pish (almost as good as the claim the only reason Queen of the South are better is because Hutton left).

After Rae came in last season we won nine games. Goodwin played in three of them, for a combined total of 36 minutes plus stoppage time. So, if folk really want to believe that Queens have magically got better because Hutton left, then they also have to accept that we magically got better last season because Rae sidelined Goodwin.

Do we miss having someone like Goodwin in the team? Absolutely. Doesn't mean Goodwin was *the* player that should be fulfilling that role. I also feel a bit for Quinn, who is going to have to play like Roy Keane in his pomp to justify the expectation on his shoulders. There is more than just that which is wrong.

As a player, Rae was a fully committed player who wasn't afraid to get stuck in. As I mentioned earlier, the fact we are missing those attributes - both as a team, let alone a player to do that in midfield - is staggering.

Going off at a wild tangent from that issue, I see folk are having a go at Shankland. The only players so far this season I'd cut a bit of slack to are the strikers because they are getting f**k all to work with, certainly in the two league games. They had no chances to miss today until the 84th minute and no real chances against Morton. We need to play to their strengths. I can think of one decent ball for Sutton to attack in the games I've seen and he scored it. His reward was not to start against Raith. Hardie scored against Raith and gets dropped. Well, at least none of the strikers have to worry about being dropped next week...

Great post (though Shankland does need to shed a few pounds....again).

I sat for a couple of minutes after the final whistle contemplating how far we've fallen in such a short period of time.

Simple. We won a trophy. A bigger club would have invested in the hope of moving onwards and upwards. Not so small clubs like us. We have no capital to invest and no chance of raising it and the inevitable happens. Fans expectations are raised and the club can't meet them. The rot sets in and 10 years of misery follows. I give you 1987!
My guess is ICT will end up following us down the tubes (if they don't go bust first. Yes, I think it's them in financial trouble).

34 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Our midfield options 3 seasons ago were choosing from a fit Gary Teale in great form, Paul McGowan, Jim Goodwin (usually played in defence instead), Connor Newton, Kenny McLean, John McGinn and sometimes even Goncalves dropped to midfield.

Now that I think about it Carey and Imrie were around  struggling to get a game in that team as was Aaron Mooy (now with Man City!). It has been quite a fall from grace in terms of our midfield.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

5 hours ago, Debaser said:

Anyone that was calling for Gallagher to go in goals should be ashamed. 

He couldn't lace Scrimigours boots. Langfield is a goal of a start for the opposition but this guy is two goals of a start. 

At fault for both goals, the first was a carbon copy of the first mistake at Livi. The second he should have been shouting to Baird to tell him what to do or taken control and cleared it.

Midfield nonexistent, nothing positive about any of the performances so far this season. 

Two vital games for Raes future in the next two weeks. 

Goes to show how different we all see it! I thought Gallagher was the main positive of today believe it or not (my fellow pixies fan?). Double save first half was phenomenal, kept the score down to 2 several times, terrific save with his knee from a one-on-one in the second half too. I heard his shout to Baird at the second goal from W1 so how Baird never ... 

Absolute first choice keeper for me!!

Absolute rubbish today overall it has to be said! Have we been spoiled by Gus and Danny I wonder? My first season ticket was under Bone and we were terrible then too. 

Strikes me as idiocy that we play the aimless punt until now with Sutton on the bench and then start him today which the short pass tactic! 

Overall I think we've assembled some good players but I'm worked about the balance of the squad and, in particular, the movement during the match. Training's critical just now. Quinn may prove to be the game changer though!

42 minutes ago, the digger said:

Goes to show how different we all see it! I thought Gallagher was the main positive of today believe it or not (my fellow pixies fan?). Double save first half was phenomenal, kept the score down to 2 several times, terrific save with his knee from a one-on-one in the second half too. I heard his shout to Baird at the second goal from W1 so how Baird never ... 

Yep, Pixies fan here, i would agree that he had a couple of good saves but if he can't do the basics and can't learn from his mistakes then he won't give the other players confidence in his ability. I was in S4 and never heard him utter a word other than to moan about other players after the event rather than being a team player and helping his defence know what is about him when the ball was in play.

Scrimmy had a cracking debut at cappielow and then was crap. Gallagher on performances so far will not get near even that one game high. 

Spot on. I don't think he's great, but I think he's better than Langfield.

Absolute rubbish today overall it has to be said! Have we been spoiled by Gus and Danny I wonder? My first season ticket was under Bone and we were terrible then too. 

We were spoiled by Ferguson, Clunie and McFarlane in the 70's and 80's but not by Gus and Danny who could barely win a home league game between them at the new stadium.

Yes we are even worse now but that doesnt mean things were great a few years ago.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Spot on. I don't think he's great, but I think he's better than Langfield.

I thought that in general he had a good game and I am willing to cut him some slack for the horrendous loss of that goal as I have no idea if he shouted or not.

What concerned me though was not that he remonstrated with Baird just after the loss of the goal, but that his antic continued for quite some time afterwards showing that he was dwelling on the incident rather than concentrating on the game.

Hopefully his goalkeeping coach will help him deal with this!!!

2 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Morgan took a bad ankle knock after about 15 min and had never recovered ,I would have taken him off earlier.

Would like to say that Naismith is a good player, at the moment he is devoid of any confidence whatsoever he needs a rest if the manager wants the good Naismith back he must rest him.

1st half nobody marked  Gray and he did what liked.

Having said that Hibs are a very good side with strength in depth, Shinnie and Graham off the bench ,they will romp the league Ilost count the number of times young Walsh had the ball looked and the rest of the team were hiding

Confidence, he needs to find within himself

Naisnith has a lot going for him, he needs to decide if he Is 

going to rule his career or will his injury do that for him

I've said this before but unfortunately we have become a team that loses. We have no backbone we lose a goal and we go into our shell. We play teams at paisley and it takes us 84 minutes to create an attack. Now at every single ground including Annan last year the home team comes out and has a go. We don't.

6 hours ago, Drew said:

By the same token, we managed to kick on and secure comfortable mid-table safety, so why have we become rank all of a sudden?

We were still rank once Murray left last season despite slight improvement. There's nothing sudden about this seasons rankness.