St Mirren V Hibs 20/8/16

dr rotund

Yesterday was my first game in a while. Problems were obvious within the first ten minutes. Zero leaders from goalkeeper to midfield. Hardly heard a peep. When things are down on a football pitch you need someone to make that huge tackle or massive header to really fire a team up. None of that in our team. Felt sorry for Sutton and then later clarkston who were the only two with a bit of fight.

Long ball tactics to Shankland don't work. The young lad can't jump or run despite having a good finish on him. Even Gallacher aimed his kicks at him rather than Sutton which is just plain strange.

Gary Irvine played right centre back most of the game. Walsh or Morgan ended up deeper than our defence on his side and the Hibs winger had a field day. Our full backs never went over the half way line (attacking is Naismiths strength) and Grant Holts movement throughout was more intelligent than our whole team put together.

The midfield aside from a ten minute spell from Mallan really just lack football brains. They chased down in ones rather than packs. Hibs followed their passes played simple one twos and played it around us. Our lads just stood and watched as the receiver of their 10yard pass had no options and had to play it back to a hopeless Webster or Baird.

Holding midfielder needed to allow Naismith and a new left back to get into the game and create chance for a forward line that have ability with regards to goal scoring.

Hoping that a fit Gary McKenzie can be the answer to the leadership at the back or we are fighting relegation on that display

IMO apart from John Sutton, every player and the management team should be embarrassed by that performance yesterday.

I would exclude Gallacher from criticism, as he dealt well with cross balls and made several good saves. However, he most likely has to be held culpable to some degree for the part he played in conceding the second goal. 

Gordon Scott should haul the management team into his office on Monday morning and tell them, "You brought in the players and unless you make it work with your players over the next four games, then you're out on your arse. It's simply not good enough."

I also noticed yesterday a fault in relation to the current offside rule. Yesterday the main stand side assistant waited until the ball reached Gallacher before flagging for offside, when it was clear to all that the Hibs player was offside at the edge of box.

It led to a hard challenge on Gallacher which left him limping for a challenge that could have been avoided if the AR had shown a little common sense.

Who is our captain on the pitch ? Now I thought it was Webster, but after the f**k up for our 2nd goals and with Baird and Gallagher both shouting abuse and blaming each other all I saw from him was nothing. No attempt to rally the players or even deal with Baird and Gallagher bitching with each other so who is our captain ?

36 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Who is our captain on the pitch ? Now I thought it was Webster, but after the f**k up for our 2nd goals and with Baird and Gallagher both shouting abuse and blaming each other all I saw from him was nothing. No attempt to rally the players or even deal with Baird and Gallagher bitching with each other so who is our captain ?

Goody

43 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Good question. I have absolutely no idea.

19 hours ago, ronaldo said:

Webster just watched as that ball was flicked on to Graham, terrible terrible defending, from a guy who has played at the top level he is just going through the motions every week.

Couldn't agree more. Irvine looks out of position on a huge number of occasions, but more often than not he's tring to cover for Webster who is wandering around aimlessly. Captain ? aye right.

it's so strange that raith rovers and queens can throw a team together with limited funds and ability n challenge at top end of table but we struggling big time with a decent squad.is it cos we have a bunch o over rated spineless lazy bastard players or a rookie dinosaur gob shit manager??whatever the answer its us loyal fans that getting spunked on again.maybe after this we will learn our lesson and appoint a respectable and experienced manager.looks like another relagation battle and its totally pissing me off

19 hours ago, Sonny said:

I started another topic in the General St Mirren Discussion as I am fed up reading about folk slagging off Mallan. The problem in midfield is down to Alex Rae as he only plays with two midfielders (and two wingers who appear under instruction to hug the touch line and not contribute to anything else) and one of them is Hutton who passes either backwards or straight out the park. Mallan was the best player we had today (just aheaad of Sutton) but that does not say much in the formation and tactics we are using.

Some absolute cretin behind me slated Mallan for not winning a tackle from a pass three yards too short for him from Hutton. Sums a lot of our west stand support. The same guy also praising the goalie for palming a ball straight back onto a Hibs strikers foot from a cross.

We were disgusting yesterday and it's pathetic to sit and watch. Webster is supposed to be our leader and captain and instead he strolls around for 90 minutes heading the ball straight up in the air and never looking as if he breaks into a sweat at all. I want to see encouragement even anger sometimes from our captain, letting his 10 other players know performances like that are unacceptable. 

Special mention for big Jason. Try look interested mate. At one point you were walking around central midfield as Hibs launched another attack down your side with Stevenson.

Rae needs to sort it and soon. Two games to save his job imo and if we manage to get a tanking in Ayr next weekend i'm sure a thousand or so pissed up Saints fans will be quick to let him know what they think.

With regards to the captaincy, Andy Webster has to be the worst St Mirren captain I've ever seen.

He offers absolutely nothing to the team in terms of motivation and organisation. He clearly doesn't care about the club and is just going through the motions.

He's also a shite defender, so he doesn't lead by example either. He should have been punted in the summer.

I am still raging at our inept performance yesterday.Seldom can an opposing side can have such an easy win.This was an absolutely disgraceful display from a St Miirren side.No positives whatsoever.What on earth goes on at our wonderful training facilities which are the envy of many teams.Q0S train at Cumbernauld I believe only Hibs have their own training ground whilst Dundee Utd use St Andrews Uni.Rae really has to get our team fit and organised and at least playing for the jerseys.Failure to achieve that should see him removed.By the way Gallacher the keeper lost a similar type goal v Livingston recently to the Hibs first goal in which he was dreadfully slow to react to the low cross.For the second the lack of communication between him and Baird defies all logic?Get Langers back in.You don't play over400 games for Dons if you are not a good goalie.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

With regards to the captaincy, Andy Webster has to be the worst St Mirren captain I've ever seen.

He offers absolutely nothing to the team in terms of motivation and organisation. He clearly doesn't care about the club and is just going through the motions.

He's also a shite defender, so he doesn't lead by example either. He should have been punted in the summer.

And he cannot head a ball correctly. 

Shite player. 

3 hours ago, paul torfason said:

it's so strange that raith rovers and queens can throw a team together with limited funds and ability n challenge at top end of table but we struggling big time with a decent squad.is it cos we have a bunch o over rated spineless lazy bastard players or a rookie dinosaur gob shit manager??whatever the answer its us loyal fans that getting spunked on again.maybe after this we will learn our lesson and appoint a respectable and experienced manager.looks like another relagation battle and its totally pissing me off

We are 3 games into the season. Lets see how things stand in the springtime before talking about teams challenging at the top and us struggling. Having listed to Rae's prematch and postmatch interviews and occasionally checked out his twitter account the last thing I would accuse him of is being a "gob shit"... unlike some of our "loyal" fans writing off some of our new players before the end of their first home match of the season against Ayr or almost coming to blows with fellow Buddies with 20 minutes of the league campaign commencing against Morton.

3 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I am still raging at our inept performance yesterday.Seldom can an opposing side can have such an easy win.This was an absolutely disgraceful display from a St Miirren side.No positives whatsoever.What on earth goes on at our wonderful training facilities which are the envy of many teams.Q0S train at Cumbernauld I believe only Hibs have their own training ground whilst Dundee Utd use St Andrews Uni.Rae really has to get our team fit and organised and at least playing for the jerseys.Failure to achieve that should see him removed.By the way Gallacher the keeper lost a similar type goal v Livingston recently to the Hibs first goal in which he was dreadfully slow to react to the low cross.For the second the lack of communication between him and Baird defies all logic?Get Langers back in.You don't play over400 games for Dons if you are not a good goalie.

Langfield is shite also and f**k knows how he has got away with it for over 400 games. 

12 hours ago, renfrew said:

Sid

Alex Rae was out of football management for a good reason. Lets face it the guys who employed him have had a legacy of making the wrong choice for a few years now. Sooner its rectified the better.

On Saturdays showing we are heading for the trap door as there doesn't appear to be anyone worse than us to save us. It was a completely abysmal showing yet again, watched, I hasten to add, not from the stands but the Anchor Bar. Many more are likely to choose not to be ripped off for £20 a time to watch the great undeserving, non trying and in Raes case, witless.

Thing that worries me is the deja vu to all this. We have a new manager, new players and actually seem to have gone backwards We laugh Locke and yet they are miles ahead of us.

Do we really have a 6 pointer next week?  I think we do. Ayr are better than us. Its the lack of fight  that bothers me, I thought AR would bring steel to this team, in fact he has taken it out. I don't blame Mallan he is 19 , I blame AR, he has had a bit of time to at least show us something.

Its obvious to a 2 year old the problem is we are spineless in both ways, we need a strong (Goodie) player, we need a strong CH and we need a bully boy of a CF. That's it, .

He needs to get this sorted now, not in a month, by then like last season it will be far to late

John Hughes does try to play football and I think he would be a good manager for someone. I feel we must give Alex our support but he can't have another four games like the four just gone Hamilton, morton, Raith and hibs. All absolutely terrible with zero football played and more worrying in three of them no fight.