Ex Player Dies

linwood buddie

A man who died after he was shot by police with a Taser gun has been named locally as ex-Aston Villa footballer Dalian Atkinson.

Officers were called to a home in Meadow Close, Telford, Shrophire in the early hours of this morning amid concerns "for the safety of an individual".

West Mercia Police said the 48-year-old man was given medical treatment after being hit by a stun gun but died around 90 minutes later.

BBC paying tribute to the guy as are plenty on Social Media. 

Maybe deserved maybe not , I dunno the dude.

But, wouldn't it be better to wait and see what he was tazered for?   

Edited by shull

The guy was suffering from kidney problems, anyone who has experienced this in person or at close hand can tell you that behaviours can be affected quite dramatically by the build up of toxins in the system.  This may or may not be a factor in his case

The police aren't doctors or medics though. If a guy is being violent or is a threat they have to stop him.

Perhaps the tasers just shouldn't be used.  They kill people. This guy is NOT the first to die after being tasered.  And won't be the last.

yes, all forms and tools of restraint have risk, but this one severely impacts upon the electro-muscular system in a manner that means no one deploying it can modulate the result.

ie a wee whack on the back with a truncheon will hurt but is very unlikely to prove fatal.  A person using a truncheon will not do so with the aim being death.

use the taser... And who knows the outcome?  

the officer who used the taser is now a cold-blooded killer. That's an appalling label to have to wear.

Tasering was always a blunt instrument (pun intended).  Passing 50000v through anyone is always a gamble with THEIR life.

Some idiots may argue that using potentially lethal force in the face of any level of threat is proportionate.  That is like saying commission of any crime is way of accepting that you should die for society's convenience

21 hours ago, antrin said:

Perhaps the tasers just shouldn't be used.  They kill people. This guy is NOT the first to die after being tasered.  And won't be the last.

yes, all forms and tools of restraint have risk, but this one severely impacts upon the electro-muscular system in a manner that means no one deploying it can modulate the result.

ie a wee whack on the back with a truncheon will hurt but is very unlikely to prove fatal.  A person using a truncheon will not do so with the aim being death.

use the taser... And who knows the outcome?  

the officer who used the taser is now a cold-blooded killer. That's an appalling label to have to wear.

In who's eyes?  i am sure that the officers did not intend to kill

I do understand that 3 taser charges were administered by the officer(s) though

I think the baton with much better training in the use of it as a restraining device might reduce the number of times they are called on to use a taser. It's becoming a hit of an easy option these days.

Really? What about Ian Tomlinson or Brian Douglas? The honest truth here is that the liberal public seem to expect our Police to protect us against an increasing number of dangerous individuals, armed with nothing but a smile and if they get killed while doing their duty it seems a police officers life is cheap.

On 8/16/2016 at 0:47 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

The police aren't doctors or medics though. If a guy is being violent or is a threat they have to stop him.

After they tasered him he then fell to the ground

The 2 officers then laid into him as he was lying on the ground

In fact one was dragged off by the other one as he kept going

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

After they tasered him he then fell to the ground

The 2 officers then laid into him as he was lying on the ground

In fact one was dragged off by the other one as he kept going

I had a search online for where this might have emerged from and the video of the eye witness testimony is on the Independent website. Even their reporter sounded highly dubious. One witness, only one witness in a street full of them, claimed that Dalian Atkinson was tasered and whilst being tasered he was being kicked by police officers. There's no mention in that video of one being dragged off by the other. 

8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

In who's eyes?  i am sure that the officers did not intend to kill

I do understand that 3 taser charges were administered by the officer(s) though

Sigh..

did you not read what was written?

the person using the taser would likely use it with confidence knowing it might only maim the target, but as it is now being shown, THAT is not the consistent result.

the taser operator can now regard themselves as cold-blooded killers, because that has been the actual result.

apart from my obvious dislike of the weapon, I'm also pointing out the lifelong impact (unintended) on its user - which is, at least, unsatisfactory.

Sigh..

the person using the taser would likely use it with confidence knowing it might only maim the target, but as it is now being shown, THAT is not the consistent result.

the taser operator can now regard themselves as cold-blooded killers, because that has been the actual result.

apart from my obvious dislike of the weapon, I'm also pointing out the lifelong impact (unintended) on its user - which is, at least, unsatisfactory.

Ok I can see and accept your point. But we do need to support our Police Officers as they do their duty and that means giving them the tools to do their job. A taser is never discharged without ample warning and if there is a threat to the officers or to the public then in the absence of something better we should support their judgement and the right to use the tools we've given them.

Atkinson suffered from psychosis. We've had years of governments North and South of the border reducing the number of beds in state hospitals. The policy has been to put people previously deemed extremely dangerous out into care homes with some prescription meds and a set of instructions given to minimum wage care assistants to follow whilst imposing severe budget cuts on those care homes too. With a raised terror threat, hugely stretched resources, and an ever increasing amount of bureaucracy caused by the police being under more scrutiny than ever I've got a great deal of sympathy for officers who are being put in all kinds of ridiculous situations.

11 hours ago, antrin said:

Sigh..

If the confident intention of the officer is to maim then he should be nowhere near the police force-except, possibly, as a "customer"

To be a cold-blooded killer is to intentionally take a life without remorse, even IF the officers intended to teach Atkinson a lesson, I doubt they intended to kill so they are at worst careless or reckless

Or they may be thoroughly justified in what they did, time will tell.

I like the little "sigh" though.  it is so Dicksonesque.

7 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

2 police officers involved have been suspended pending gross misconduct charges.

No they haven't. They are "under Criminal Investigation" and they've been suspended pending the outcome of the probe by the IPCC. The IPCC already clarified the point and said that a "criminal investigation does not necessarily mean that criminal charges will follow". The post-mortem was inconclusive. The rest, as I understand it is standard procedure. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Here's the sky sports link which has the press association quoting the IPCC

Two West Mercia Police officers have been advised they are under criminal investigation and are also being served with gross misconduct notices.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10542234/two-police-officers-investigated-following-dalian-atkinsons-death

1 hour ago, tony soprano said:

Here's the sky sports link which has the press association quoting the IPCC

Two West Mercia Police officers have been advised they are under criminal investigation and are also being served with gross misconduct notices.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10542234/two-police-officers-investigated-following-dalian-atkinsons-death

Fair enough. It seems you are correct. I was quoting the BBC website. However the IPCC website is carrying this statement which is very similar to the one in the article you quoted

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/update-investigation-police-contact-dalian-atkinson-prior-his-death