Wee Idea...

I have a better idea. Give every unemployed homeless refugee in Scotland a free ticket for our next home game. At half time, line them up and ask them what they know about tactics, formations and signing footballers. Give the most impressive candidate the St Mirren manager's job at full time.

Gets my vote.

On 19 August 2016 at 11:09 AM, Sergie's no1 fan said:

I had a thought about what the club could do that's thinking outside the box a wee bit. I know some might not like the idea, especially ST holders but here it goes anyway. Could the club possibly try and help out the homeless punters or maybe even families in poverty in the Renfrewshire area by handing out vouchers that let an adult or kid into the ground for free, maybe even throw in a free pie and bovril and free travel to the game. 

I know the first thing that springs to mind is cost but what if there are bucket collections put on at a home game prior to it to make sure there is enough money raised to make sure the caterers aren't out of pocket. There are already charities at most home games collecting money at the gates and this is a charitable gesture to people who wouldn't normally be able to afford a wee day out to the football (I know things on the pitch probably won't help put a smile on their faces :booty). It's not for every home game either.

I think it would generate a could bit of media interest, especially on the back of the homeless World Cup which was held in Glasgow recently. Who knows maybe an under privileged kid would catch the football bug and go on to play for Saints and be a superstar or make a good bit of money later in life and buy the club. Could even try and get the Renfrewshire council involved or Mhari Black and get a local bus company to help transporting people if there was actually any interest.

Dunno just a wee idea that popped into my head, it's a twist on handing out tickets to school kids and the coffee initiative where people pay a bit extra so the under privileged/homeless can get a coffee too. There are still plenty of seats to be filled at home games.

For some reason the "throw in  pies" resonates, I like that, unfortunately there's too many on field pies already and not enough pastry cased mince left in Renfrewshire to throw pitch side.

On topic anything that gets bums on seats in the Grey wind tunnel is to be welcomed. Our efforts on the park so far are the sum total of nil pwa.

On 8/19/2016 at 0:09 PM, Sergie's no1 fan said:

I had a thought about what the club could do that's thinking outside the box a wee bit. I know some might not like the idea, especially ST holders but here it goes anyway. Could the club possibly try and help out the homeless punters or maybe even families in poverty in the Renfrewshire area by handing out vouchers that let an adult or kid into the ground for free, maybe even throw in a free pie and bovril and free travel to the game. 

I know the first thing that springs to mind is cost but what if there are bucket collections put on at a home game prior to it to make sure there is enough money raised to make sure the caterers aren't out of pocket. There are already charities at most home games collecting money at the gates and this is a charitable gesture to people who wouldn't normally be able to afford a wee day out to the football (I know things on the pitch probably won't help put a smile on their faces :booty). It's not for every home game either.

I think it would generate a could bit of media interest, especially on the back of the homeless World Cup which was held in Glasgow recently. Who knows maybe an under privileged kid would catch the football bug and go on to play for Saints and be a superstar or make a good bit of money later in life and buy the club. Could even try and get the Renfrewshire council involved or Mhari Black and get a local bus company to help transporting people if there was actually any interest.

Dunno just a wee idea that popped into my head, it's a twist on handing out tickets to school kids and the coffee initiative where people pay a bit extra so the under privileged/homeless can get a coffee too. There are still plenty of seats to be filled at home games.

On 8/20/2016 at 2:47 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

Sergie - before I say anything else can I say that this is the bones of an excellent idea. It clearly comes from a great place and the idea of giving some hard pressed parents who are really struggling in life the opportunity to take their child for a day out is tremendous and deserves proper consideration. But here's the thing. As a PR stunt it would certainly backfire. As recently as the 20th of May 2016 this year there were news reports regarding a project that St Mirren FC, UWS and the local council were to be involved in. The project was to build a new £15m Sports Village in Ferguslie Park. To achieve this the plan was to bulldoze 248 houses - and according to the council at the time some 66 of those houses were already unoccupied. 

You can't have a situation where the club is complicit with a scheme that would bulldoze so many council owned properties on one hand, whilst offering a free ticket and a pie to those who could be doing with one of those empty units to live in. 

Now having said that if the club were to instead to put free tickets in at the local Food Bank to be given out to families in financial hardship who fancy a day out - I guess that works. 

I certainly think this could be a good idea. Was there not a game last season where a few volunteers collected donations for a food bank? I'd be more than happy to help arrange something along those lines, it's quite far away but the Morton game on Hogmanay should see a decent crowd and with people in the festive spirit are probably more likely to make donations. We could approach the club for a few free tickets for a match in January that, like Stuart says, could be given along with the food donations to the food banks.

I would be very happy to volunteer at any food bank collection events at the ground. If anyone wants to get the ball rolling send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

Guest TPAFKATS

Reading through this thread, are folk(s) really suggesting that the reward for 20 hours work should be a ticket for the football?
Bearing in mind that 20 hours is roughly half the working week.

It really is the silly season.

1 hour ago, tony soprano said:

Reading through this thread, are folk(s) really suggesting that the reward for 20 hours work should be a ticket for the football?

One was. 

Look, like you I mocked it. Working for a ticket as a reward is nonsense. But the idea of teaching the long term unemployed new skills to help them become more employable isn't quite so daft. There are a number of government backed work experience programmes that may be worth looking at, if suitable jobs and skills could be found that would fit the bill then why not? Certainly Motherwell FC used to, and perhaps still do something similar

I know from some brief exchanges with some of the guys at SMiSA that they've been frustrated with me in the past as I've continued to be critical of the clubs lack of involvement in the local community, whilst some of the guys at SMiSA have been busy setting up projects that they believed were putting the club right at the heart of the community. Maybe we all need to be listening and sharing ideas no matter how utterly ridiculous they sound if we want the club to grow and for fan ownership to be successful. What's your vision of community and how do you think the club could improve it's offering? 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

2 hours ago, tony soprano said:

How many hours do you suggest then?

12? 8?.... It isnt a job replacement scheme thats being proposed its a voluntary (by the individual) scheme to help build confidence, skill and purpose whilst putting a few more bums on seats. Its great everyone has an opinion, but few actually put forward alternatives.

Guest TPAFKATS
One was. 

Look, like you I mocked it. Working for a ticket as a reward is nonsense. But the idea of teaching the long term unemployed new skills to help them become more employable isn't quite so daft. There are a number of government backed work experience programmes that may be worth looking at, if suitable jobs and skills could be found that would fit the bill then why not? Certainly Motherwell FC used to, and perhaps still do something similar

I know from some brief exchanges with some of the guys at SMiSA that they've been frustrated with me in the past as I've continued to be critical of the clubs lack of involvement in the local community, whilst some of the guys at SMiSA have been busy setting up projects that they believed were putting the club right at the heart of the community. Maybe we all need to be listening and sharing ideas no matter how utterly ridiculous they sound if we want the club to grow and for fan ownership to be successful. What's your vision of community and how do you think the club could improve it's offering? 

There's been some good ideas put forward here and elsewhere that would match my idea of community and would increase our credentials as a community club.

Asking people to work in exchange for a ticket isn't one, unless were talking clearing snow off a pitch or similar. Workfare or similar is something we shouldn't imo be involved with.
While we're on the subject, are we paying our employees the minimum wage yet?

The club could allow the unemployed or those on low incomes to register for a regular ballot, only problem being it would have to be on trust rather than impose an overhead on the club and also possibly demean the applicants as it would entail a means test of some sort.  Alternatively they could simply distribute some tickets via work-seeker's groups or food banks to avoid abuse of the system.  a wee tie up with the bus companies that offer free travel to job-seekers could also help them get to the ground.

I liked Shull's response-it saved me from predicting the reactionary shit he usually indulges in.

it's a nice idea and deserves some development.  Maybe the job-centre should offer the task to someone trying to build a CV as part of their job-search.  Couldn't hurt to ask.

The club could allow the unemployed or those on low incomes to register for a regular ballot, only problem being it would have to be on trust rather than impose an overhead on the club and also possibly demean the applicants as it would entail a means test of some sort.  Alternatively they could simply distribute some tickets via work-seeker's groups or food banks to avoid abuse of the system.  a wee tie up with the bus companies that offer free travel to job-seekers could also help them get to the ground.

I liked Shull's response-it saved me from predicting the reactionary shit he usually indulges in.

it's a nice idea and deserves some development.  Maybe the job-centre should offer the task to someone trying to build a CV as part of their job-search.  Couldn't hurt to ask.

Why would it be on the trust? What overheads would increase? Its free tickets for empty seats that would otherwise go unsold. It wouldnt be many seats either. A maximum of 100 pairs of tickets donated each week to a local food bank should be sufficient. AFAIK the unemployed can already get concession tickets without being means tested by the club.

Sadly, I don't think anyone does. After years of people saying the last board was tired and had run out of ideas, it's quickly emerging that the SMiSA membership have no ideas whatsoever.

It's kind of sad 

How the f**k do you know if the trust have any new ideas or not?

Where would these be discussed? On a fans forum where the majority sit behind keyboards and don't even attend matches.

Get a grip and don't talk shite.

There's plenty going on behind the scenes at present and at the next SMISA meeting I'm sure these would be aired for all members to hear.

But don't spout your bile on things you clearly know nothing about.

On the contrary - feel free to get in touch with me to discuss.

I read a double page article in the PDE about the SMISA dude on the Board, David Nicol. 

I was very impressed and encouraged in what he had to say, especially about the hard work Gordon is putting in along with others to make our Club successful. 

St Mirren Football Club is in good hands. 

I will try C & P the article later unless someone does it sooner. 

Edited by shull

16 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Sadly, I don't think anyone does. After years of people saying the last board was tired and had run out of ideas, it's quickly emerging that the SMiSA membership have no ideas whatsoever.

It's kind of sad 

Aren't you a SMiSA member?

Why not stop slating everyone else and do some actualy work to bring your big ideas to the table?

Very easy to sit at a keyboard and suggest stuff, but actually making it happen takes a lot more effort.

Let's see you deliver Stuart, let's see you put a big idea in front of SMiSA.

10 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

How the f**k do you know if the trust have any new ideas or not?

Where would these be discussed? On a fans forum where the majority sit behind keyboards and don't even attend matches.

Get a grip and don't talk shite.

There's plenty going on behind the scenes at present and at the next SMISA meeting I'm sure these would be aired for all members to hear.

But don't spout your bile on things you clearly know nothing about.

On the contrary - feel free to get in touch with me to discuss.

Oh FFS :rolleyes:

First off, I wasn't talking about the SMiSA committee in this instance. I was talking about the SMiSA membership and the St Mirren support on the whole. If you had followed the posts I had made yesterday you might just have seen that instead of jumping down my throat. 

Secondly I've no idea what you guys are talking about behind the scenes but whatever it is it the communication level doesn't appear to be very efficient. I have already been in touch with two guys on the SMiSA committee, offered my ideas, and offered assistance if needed. How many people should I get in touch with before someone realises what is going on.... :rolleyes: 

I'm not on the committee.

I'm a member of SMISA and more importantly a St Mirren supporter.

I went to the SMISA committee with an idea about a company investing and in turn has been discussed at board level with hopefully a positive outcome for the club.

I'm just one individual.

If 10% of members have an idea then that's 130 more than we had previously.

I did jump down your throat and I should have taken my time before replying sensibly, so I apologise.

I read a double page article in the PDE about the SMISA dude on the Board, David Nicol. 

I was very impressed and encouraged in what he had to say, especially about the hard work Gordon is putting in along with others to make our Club successful. 

St Mirren Football Club is in good hands. 

I will try C & P the article later unless someone does it sooner. 

I've met David a couple of times and find him to be very articulate and knowledgable.