Rae Must Go!

1 minute ago, renfrew said:

Ok, so 10 players out of 11 would have been my 1st pick. As for your son ( hope he didn't get lost trying to park the bat mobile) at the Well game, what was the score since I am sure the forum members cant wait to know the score ?

0-0 

Plenty of parking around Fir Park and no dodgy restrictions. It does make for a better match day experience. The game was shite, but he was made feel welcome enough. When he came home he was telling me he might ditch his season ticket for St Mirren next season since the club clearly don't want his custom. Can't blame him really. 

And again.....Jordan f**king Stewart. Really? Things have been bad at St Mirren before. f**k I remember Gary McVie and Mark Crilly. But Jordan Stewart. Jeezus. Are things that bad? 

Simple truth is that footballers will not perform well if they lack confidence. Passes go astray. Phantom players are at the end of what would otherwise be perfect balls. Professional players do not get to this level, even in the Championship, without having personal drive and enthusiasm for the sport. So, it's unlikely the problem is laziness. Instead, there's something else impacting morale and performance. Could it be Rae is pushing too hard, to the point that there is real fear of making a mistake? Whatever the reason, something is not right in the heads of the players rather than their feet.

So, we're a month into the season and people are advocating us looking for our 5th manager in 3 years? That can't be the answer.

We've not looked good this season, that's for sure, but we've got to give the guy time to get it right surely? He came in last year and steadied the ship and I looked forward to this season with some optimism. That's all but disappeared now and Rae has to start earning his money starting right now but to fire him after 4 games is just f**king ludicrous, even by our standards.

His squad is imbalanced and I'm not sure we know what the best formation is. We certainly need another central midfielder as we're light on bodies and Hutton has been very poor.

You can talk tactics and formations all day long, however, if the players on pitch canpass the f**king ball 5 yards to a teammate then you're going to struggle and that can't be laid at Rae's door as these guys have all shown the ability to do that in the past.

IMO he needs to pick a formation and a first XI and stick with it. We've not played the same starting XI two games in a row.

The only positive today always that we kept at it and grabbed a point when it looked like we'd get none. We've got a betters quad of players than our league position suggests but we need to start picking up 3 points soon or the pressure will grow unfortunately.

Got season ticket but won't be attending away games until they sort themselves out. That was hard to watch yesterday. The players have to take responsibility too, the long high ball. Is that down to AR or the players? Try play the ball on the ground a passing game. I don't know what the answers.

Guest TPAFKATS
Got season ticket but won't be attending away games until they sort themselves out. That was hard to watch yesterday. The players have to take responsibility too, the long high ball. Is that down to AR or the players? Try play the ball on the ground a passing game. I don't know what the answers.

The managers interview intimates that the long high balls are not his tactic.
The conclusion to this, if it's accurate, is that the players are continually not following the manager's instruction game after game. Very worrying

Rae needs to sort out the central midfield area or he'll be out a job before Christmas. Whether Quinn coming back will sort this, I'm not sure - it might very well do the trick, but we still need someone else to come in. 

A Dundee fan on P&B had said that Rae lost his job there because he couldn't sort out the central midfield, and failed to sign a dominant player for the position. Same thing is happening here - let's hope he learns from his mistake.

Rae needs to sort out the central midfield area or he'll be out a job before Christmas. Whether Quinn coming back will sort this, I'm not sure - it might very well do the trick, but we still need someone else to come in. 

A Dundee fan on P&B had said that Rae lost his job there because he couldn't sort out the central midfield, and failed to sign a dominant player for the position. Same thing is happening here - let's hope he learns from his mistake.

Then I fear for us.If he was to learn from his mistake at Dundee he would surely have sorted out centre mid as a priority [emoji53]

6 hours ago, tony soprano said:

The managers interview intimates that the long high balls are not his tactic.
The conclusion to this, if it's accurate, is that the players are continually not following the manager's instruction game after game. Very worrying

Would you pass the ball through the central midfield St Mirren have at the moment?

I was at a game this afternoon where the football on offer was very similar to that St Mirren have played every time I've seen them this season. I spoke to the coach about it and he described what was going on very accurately and very succinctly. His two central midfielders were good players on the ball, if they got it with time to settle on it but as he described it there was no intensity or desire about his central midfield two. If the ball came to them and they were closed down they'd surrender possession easily and as a result what was going on was the team would miss out the middle two and lump the ball long every time. 

Now I was watching amateur football where the team lumping the ball was full of 18 year olds and the opposition had a squad of men with grey hair, but you could see it clearly that they were having the same issue as St Mirren are in there. They were being bullied and intimidated and that's whats happening to St Mirren's midfield too. So far this season you wouldn't pass the ball through Mallan because he's been giving it away really cheaply and no-one appears to trust Hutton. 

Whether it's the managers tactic or not, it's the default position on the park and I get that. How you fix it is the problem. If he can't sign in more players he's got to work with what he's got and until Quinn if fit again and what he's got isn't worth a lot. I also reckon the club have fallen into the trap of assuming that Mallan is worth more than he really is, and believing he's better than he really is. He's never been good enough to build the team around and I doubt he ever will be. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

30 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Would you pass the ball through the central midfield St Mirren have at the moment?

I was at a game this afternoon where the football on offer was very similar to that St Mirren have played every time I've seen them this season. I spoke to the coach about it and he described what was going on very accurately and very succinctly. His two central midfielders were good players on the ball, if they got it with time to settle on it but as he described it there was no intensity or desire about his central midfield two. If the ball came to them and they were closed down they'd surrender possession easily and as a result what was going on was the team would miss out the middle two and lump the ball long every time. 

Now I was watching amateur football where the team lumping the ball was full of 18 year olds and the opposition had a squad of men with grey hair, but you could see it clearly that they were having the same issue as St Mirren are in there. They were being bullied and intimidated and that's whats happening to St Mirren's midfield too. So far this season you wouldn't pass the ball through Mallan because he's been giving it away really cheaply and no-one appears to trust Hutton. 

Whether it's the managers tactic or not, it's the default position on the park and I get that. How you fix it is the problem. If he can't sign in more players he's got to work with what he's got and until Quinn if fit again and what he's got isn't worth a lot. I also reckon the club have fallen into the trap of assuming that Mallan is worth more than he really is, and believing he's better than he really is. He's never been good enough to build the team around and I doubt he ever will be. 

Mallan is worth what St Mirren are looking for

He isn't a fetch and carrier what St Mirren need at the moment though

Stark,Ferguson and Dorman are the type of midfield player more suited to his game

Craig made the same mistake of McLean

Rae is doing the same

1 minute ago, windae cleaner said:

Mallan is worth what St Mirren are looking for

He isn't a fetch and carrier what St Mirren need at the moment though

Stark,Ferguson and Dorman are the type of midfield player more suited to his game

Craig made the same mistake of McLean

Rae is doing the same

I don't know Windae Cleaner. If a player like Mallan had played at my team he'd have frustrated the life out of me. There's just so much of a central midfielders role he either can't or won't do cause that's not his game. I'm struggling to see where the value is in a midfielder who can't track runners, who can't tackle, or defend, who can't collect a pass under pressure, get his head up and find a team mate, and who doesn't appear to be comfortable enough on the ball to hold it while waiting on the players around him to make moves. If it wasn't for his strike rate last season - most of them from set pieces as far as I can make out - would anyone be looking at him at all? Where Rae appears to be making a mistake is in believing that Mallan has got enough value to persist with him in the side even though he's not performing. 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:12 PM, Drew said:

He was leaning the against the dugout in a very blasé manner for someone who is frustrated.

I think Sutton, Mallan, and a few others have more reason to be frustrated.  Rae looks out his depth,and nothing I seen today suggests that he can turn this round.

Aye, Rae must be really out of his depth in the Championship with St Mirren, There was me thinking that he has managed in the Championship before and finished 3rd and 2nd, has won a Scottish SPL title with Rangers, played in the Champions League and the English Premiership and Championship.

Guest TPAFKATS
Aye, Rae must be really out of his depth in the Championship with St Mirren, There was me thinking that he has managed in the Championship before and finished 3rd and 2nd, has won a Scottish SPL title with Rangers, played in the Champions League and the English Premiership and Championship.

There was me thinking he played all this football as a central midfielder, yet can't sort out this area of our team.

24 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Aye, Rae must be really out of his depth in the Championship with St Mirren, There was me thinking that he has managed in the Championship before and finished 3rd and 2nd, has won a Scottish SPL title with Rangers, played in the Champions League and the English Premiership and Championship 

Rae like many other players who have played at the top level appears to be one of the ones who can't make the move from a top level player to being a good manager. He's making the same mistakes as he made at Dundee. Failure to address the problematic midfield area at Dens ultimately seen him and Farrell lose their jobs.

Good managers learn from their mistakes, Rae appears to be stubborn and unlikely to change his style of playing. He created the unbalanced squad and he knows it. No amount of tinkering with line ups and formations can disguise the total lack of leadership direction and a pitiful style of football. 

Like his predecessor Ian Murray he's at the last chance saloon with a job at this level imo, so it's in his best interests to turn things around quickly. I hope he proves me wrong but I've got little faith he's the man to take us forward.  

24 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Aye, and I'm good at building sand castles, but that doesn't make me a f**king architect!

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye, and I'm good at building sand castles, but that doesn't make me a f**king architect!

Very good Drew. Rae has prior experience at this level as a manager already (and did pretty well) and has been an assistant manager in the Championship down south and you think he is out of his depth with us?

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Very good Drew. Rae has prior experience at this level as a manager already (and did pretty well) and has been an assistant manager in the Championship down south and you think he is out of his depth with us?

Yes.

It would certainly appear so.

7 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Our last minute equaliser yesterday was scored by our first sub and set up by our second sub, our draw against Morton came after our final sub scored with 7 minutes left. #prettygoodwithsubstitutions

#clutchingatstraws