Rae Must Go!

On 27/08/2016 at 10:52 PM, DLBud said:

That's all but disappeared now and Rae has to start earning his money starting right now but to fire him after 4 games is just f**king ludicrous, even by our standards.

We have had 8 competitive games this season so far with each performance being worse than the previous one. The same tactics have been deployed in all the games and they are not working but we keep repeating the same formula hoping for a different outcome (a definition of insanity).

I certainly do not want to waste money paying off yet another manager yet I see us being outplayed by part-time teams and see absolutely no glimmer of improvement each week. Very soon we may have no option but replace him as he seems unable to improve anything. Even with his first change of formation this season on Saturday we still deployed the same long hoofball tactics that are not working.

12 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Our last minute equaliser yesterday was scored by our first sub and set up by our second sub, our draw against Morton came after our final sub scored with 7 minutes left. #prettygoodwithsubstitutions

Get the f**king Subs on just after kick off. 

Guest TPAFKATS

I like the idea of a manager making game changing subs. I'm not convinced that's the case with us so far this season.
Anyway, it's the international break - let's see what we can do with 2 weeks until the next league game

Yes let's just keep sacking managers after a handful of games. Some people on here really need to get a reality check. Yes the manager picks the team & the tactics but once the players are on its down to them to cut out the silly defensive mistakes. He didn't ask our keeper to punch the ball out that lead to their first goal. Plus it's down to the individual player if he can't make a simple pass to his own team mate or show a bit of commitment on 50/50 balls.

10 minutes ago, ged62 said:

Yes let's just keep sacking managers after a handful of games. Some people on here really need to get a reality check. Yes the manager picks the team & the tactics but once the players are on its down to them to cut out the silly defensive mistakes. He didn't ask our keeper to punch the ball out that lead to their first goal. Plus it's down to the individual player if he can't make a simple pass to his own team mate or show a bit of commitment on 50/50 balls.

As much as I dislike our sack the manager merry go round, Rae has to take responsibility for signing most of  the useless cunts in the first place.

We are on Rae's worst run of results / form in the league. Let's just tough it out and see if the team gets back to winning ways and should that happen some confidence will return to players one by one and we could look a different side in a few weeks time with a full squad of fit players to choose from.

He's got no more excuses after this coming Saturday. Looks like he will have a full squad to choose from , so if the shape's wrong , the midfield lacking leadership and long balls are still being punted willy nilly , along with the expected defeat , then GLS will be running out of patience !

26 minutes ago, billyg said:

He's got no more excuses after this coming Saturday. Looks like he will have a full squad to choose from , so if the shape's wrong , the midfield lacking leadership and long balls are still being punted willy nilly , along with the expected defeat , then GLS will be running out of patience !

Deary me. Last week we had 3 players playing their first games back in the starting XI as they come back from injury (Morgan, MacKenzie and Quinn). We still have Ben Gordon and Calum Gallacher to return. Do you suppose that with Quinn getting 45 minutes under his belt that he is up to match fitness or has struck up a rapport with Hutton (who he replaced)? Do you think one first team game means that is MacKenzie back at his best or that one extra time win means everyone has their confidence back.

Neither goalkeeper has looked clever in the last 3 or 4 games, and it's not clear yet who our first choice keeper for the season will be. In the same time frame Irvine, Stewart and McDonald have played at left back, Naismith and Irvine have played as right backs and in the centre we have had Baird, Webster and MacKenzie. Gordon has yet to feature but may do so soon. We don't yet have a settled back 4, and have tried going with a back 3 a few times as well.

If we lump lots of pressure on the manager and players after the first few games, odds are they will feel the pressure and not enjoy playing and lose confidence and not make the best decisions. It's going to take a few games for guys like Quinn, Morgan, MacKenzie to get match fit and to gel with the rest of the team or for new signings (Gordon and MacKenzie) to settle in. 

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Deary me. Last week we had 3 players playing their first games back in the starting XI as they come back from injury (Morgan, MacKenzie and Quinn). We still have Ben Gordon and Calum Gallacher to return. Do you suppose that with Quinn getting 45 minutes under his belt that he is up to match fitness or has struck up a rapport with Hutton (who he replaced)? Do you think one first team game means that is MacKenzie back at his best or that one extra time win means everyone has their confidence back.

Neither goalkeeper has looked clever in the last 3 or 4 games, and it's not clear yet who our first choice keeper for the season will be. In the same time frame Irvine, Stewart and McDonald have played at left back, Naismith and Irvine have played as right backs and in the centre we have had Baird, Webster and MacKenzie. Gordon has yet to feature but may do so soon. We don't yet have a settled back 4, and have tried going with a back 3 a few times as well.

If we lump lots of pressure on the manager and players after the first few games, odds are they will feel the pressure and not enjoy playing and lose confidence and not make the best decisions. It's going to take a few games for guys like Quinn, Morgan, MacKenzie to get match fit and to gel with the rest of the team or for new signings (Gordon and MacKenzie) to settle in. 

Ben Gordon was suspended last week , he's been available for a few weeks while playing with the 20s,  and hasn't been selected for the first team . If McKenzie and Quinn are picked on Saturday then we can only assume they're fully fit , if they're not fit and still play then the manager will have more questions to answer. Rae is running out of time and excuses , a heavy defeat on Saturday , which is very possible ,may well spell the end for him as GLS will not stand for any suggestion of relegation this season.

4 minutes ago, billyg said:

Ben Gordon was suspended last week , he's been available for a few weeks while playing with the 20s,  and hasn't been selected for the first team . If McKenzie and Quinn are picked on Saturday then we can only assume they're fully fit , if they're not fit and still play then the manager will have more questions to answer. Rae is running out of time and excuses , a heavy defeat on Saturday , which is very possible ,may well spell the end for him as GLS will not stand for any suggestion of relegation this season.

Well let's see what happens on Saturday. GLS has been clear he will not be putting any more of his own cash into the club so it will be interesting to see how we fund paying for the 'taxi for Rae' after 5 league games if you are correct.

I would have thought that someone as long in the tooth as your good self would appreciate that lots of players go into the starting XI or matchday squad without being fully fit or anywhere near fully fit - players can carry knocks for weeks or months or players can need time to regain match fitness if they have not played first team football for a while (in our case for just now that is Gordon, MacKenzie, and Quinn). The only way players can regain match fitness when they are not fully fit is to get game time in the first team as they make their way back from injury. Quinn has only been training for a couple of weeks at most after being out for about 2 months.

6 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Well let's see what happens on Saturday. GLS has been clear he will not be putting any more of his own cash into the club so it will be interesting to see how we fund paying for the 'taxi for Rae' after 5 league games if you are correct.

I would have thought that someone as long in the tooth as your good self would appreciate that lots of players go into the starting XI or matchday squad without being fully fit or anywhere near fully fit - players can carry knocks for weeks or months or players can need time to regain match fitness if they have not played first team football for a while (in our case for just now that is Gordon, MacKenzie, and Quinn). The only way players can regain match fitness when they are not fully fit is to get game time in the first team as they make their way back from injury. Quinn has only been training for a couple of weeks at most after being out for about 2 months.

It's a delicate situation for GLS. Almost 1400 people have been motivated to pay money every month to SMISA towards the future purchase of the club from him. While a high % of these people aren't looking for any guarantees like quick automatic promotion , my guess is that they'll want to see some progress in the short term. Rae is struggling already , and any perception that GLS is not prepared to take action to prevent a relegation battle could well result in binned direct debits. I'm not suggesting that's the right course of action btw , but it is a likely outcome if we find ourselves down with Stenny and Albion Rovers next season. I know Rae will probably be given a wee bit more time , but heavy home defeats are a possibility just now as he just can't seem to set up the team properly , and heavy home defeats will definitely spell the end for him !

Seriously, what’s wrong with you people? It’s only the first week of Sept! This is the same manager that rallied the team to avoid dropping into the relegation zone last year. Do you really think he developed Alzheimer’s over the Summer and has suddenly forgotten how to manage a football team? I do agree
there is something not quite right at Ralston. We have a decent crop of seasoned professionals. These guys certainly have the skills to achieve a level in the game that most, if not all, of us could only dream about in our younger years. But, something isn’t right.

Confidence is a tricky thing to master and lack of it can destroy the most promising career. Players no longer like getting on the ball for fear of making a mistake. The result – they punt it up the park or panic when making the most basic pass. Sound familiar? Look at the players’ faces. They sometimes look like a deer caught in the headlights. Is it their fault? No, they need support to gain back that confidence. They don't need a kicking when they're down.

We have our part to play in the success or failure of this club. That’s why we’re called “supporters”. We’re not called “detractors”! If you want to see improvements, then do your job and support the team. Enough of the negativity for God’s sake. Get off the manager’s back and let’s show a bit of patience for someone who obviously has the knowledge and motivation to succeed!

Reading the above, I despair .......

Our recent appts have been dire. All on the cheap, and we end up with peanuts. All we do is pay out compensation.

Is Rae any better than IM, TC, Teale ? No but he is no worse either. .

BOD could not wait to get shot of DL. He wasn't perfect, far from it, but my god he cared, had passion and made us an attacking force, agreeably pretty ropey at the back.

AR, is not a manager, he is a coach. He is clearly not a people person, he is like Jim McLean without the knowledge. Mind you TC was a far better coach than AR.

Although I hate sacking for sackings sake, we have some talented players, and its clear they don't buy in.

My mate at work A McGraw , yes he is son of the Ton Legend. Duffy is on 45k a year. How much is Rae on? Not less surely.

QOS have a novice, Raith have a clown, Hibs have a psycho and yet they all have a game plan.....

Worried about Sat, QOS are in form, we are in turmoil. A heavy defeat my stir action, but next time, we need a MANAGER not a coach

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Reading the above, I despair .......

Our recent appts have been dire. All on the cheap, and we end up with peanuts. All we do is pay out compensation.

Is Rae any better than IM, TC, Teale ? No but he is no worse either. .

BOD could not wait to get shot of DL. He wasn't perfect, far from it, but my god he cared, had passion and made us an attacking force, agreeably pretty ropey at the back.

AR, is not a manager, he is a coach. He is clearly not a people person, he is like Jim McLean without the knowledge. Mind you TC was a far better coach than AR.

Although I hate sacking for sackings sake, we have some talented players, and its clear they don't buy in.

My mate at work A McGraw , yes he is son of the Ton Legend. Duffy is on 45k a year. How much is Rae on? Not less surely.

QOS have a novice, Raith have a clown, Hibs have a psycho and yet they all have a game plan.....

Worried about Sat, QOS are in form, we are in turmoil. A heavy defeat my stir action, but next time, we need a MANAGER not a coach

The great thing about football is there is no straight line graph of improvement or decline. QOTS have been on a great run yes, and then it was interupted in the league by the international weekend and Irn Bru cup. We've had a bad start to the league campaign and last week fielded a team which had 3 of 5 injured players making a return to first team action.

I can't comment on how Rae's tactics are better or worse than any other manager's tactics but I think he has been a lot more measured and composed than many people expected given his reputation /stereotyping as a hard man. I usually find it hard to disagree too much with any of his assessments about matches or where the clubs finds itself at the moment and where we should be aiming for.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The great thing about football is there is no straight line graph of improvement or decline. QOTS have been on a great run yes, and then it was interupted in the league by the international weekend and Irn Bru cup. We've had a bad start to the league campaign and last week fielded a team which had 3 of 5 injured players making a return to first team action.

I can't comment on how Rae's tactics are better or worse than any other manager's tactics but I think he has been a lot more measured and composed than many people expected given his reputation /stereotyping as a hard man. I usually find it hard to disagree too much with any of his assessments about matches or where the clubs finds itself at the moment and where we should be aiming for.

DOP, Trust me I don't want to be a sacking club, but Rae is very critical of players, that's not clever. Even if their not following his instructions, he either takes off line, or drops them..... AR made a good start last season, however we have not beaten any top 4 teams in this league.

If AR can start to show more than the hoof then I will take him seriously. Shankland- hoof don't work? 

12 hours ago, billyg said:

I hope so Billy, GLS' credibility and judgement are under scrutiny as well.

After the first round of nine games you can make a fairly accurate judgement where we will finish up come the end of the season. We will have played every club who all have own injuries/defiencies etc. I expected before the first league game to be in or within a result of the top four, and being competitive in the league. Five big ones coming up!

Despite our dire performances so far we are only three points off fourth place, four wins out the next five would likely see us in fourth place!

51 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

After the first round of nine games you can make a fairly accurate judgement where we will finish up come the end of the season. We will have played every club who all have own injuries/defiencies etc. I expected before the first league game to be in or within a result of the top four, and being competitive in the league. Five big ones coming up!

Despite our dire performances so far we are only three points off fourth place, four wins out the next five would likely see us in fourth place!

We could also no doubt also be somewhere like 9th and 1 or 2 points off the promotion play off places as well. It's going to be a fairly tight league this year and not much between the teams on paper, the times who get some results and confidence going and can put a few runs together will be the ones who make it. I still think Rae is capable, over the season, of leading us to a promotion play off position with the squad we have and in those circumstances.

People have gone on about Morton playing us off the pitch and Quitongo being worth a big move - they sit 1 point ahead of us at the minute as they prepare to play some of the bigger teams in the league over the next few games.

I am not convinced about Rae. 

He has signed some good players but all in similar roles. We miss a leader & I think letting Goody go was a huge blow. It has meant that Mallan is playing deeper and it doesn't suit him. 

I also think his punt the ball tactics are poor on the eye and defensively - he let a Kelly go without a replacement and played a right back out his depth. He plays a lot of players in the wrong position which is hurting us as Mallan is less attacking and he is not the best defensively, he hasn't signed a leader in the centre and finally, the tactics just aint working.

I hope he turns it around but I am am not too sure he will. 

Fingers crossed.....

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I admire your defence of the current situation DOP and your optimism. You are to be congratulated.

I am not one to shout for a Manager's head after a string of poor results. On consideration I thought at the time that Danny's contract should not have been renewed and although I was surprised and disappointed with Craig's appointment but I gave him until Xmas. I also thought Teale had a raw deal and advocated at the time that he be given a season to reshape the squad but he got the boot and Murray was appointed again to my disappointment as I thought we needed a decent trusted manager to steady the ship - not another roll of the dice. At Xmas, again, it was time to replace him and again I hoped for an experienced manager but Rae was appointed. The football was poor but we did get results against the poorer teams in the League which kept us up so I am grateful for that.

This season my gripe is the truly shocking level of football that I am watching. If we were being unlucky or I could buy into our 'injury' situation then I may have some grounds for optimism. However the football is appalling and I see no signs of improvement after 9 competitive games. Part-time teams look more organised and competitive than we do. Full time teams have run over the top of us. This is one season when I may press the panic button earlier.

The thing is we have maxed out our players budget. 

Can we afford to cut loose both Rae and Farrell? Even if we can there is no guarantee that the new management team will succeed. 

I agree with sonny, our performances have been dire it's difficult to see how this can be turned around. However I'm hanging on to a slither of desperate hope that Quinn and Mackenzie coming back in could make a difference and get us back on track.