Ayr United v St Mirren Championship 27/8/16

shull

That wasn't acceptable today - I've seen junior teams set up better than that.Sutton was winning everything in the air yet we had no width in the side. Only tactic seems to be punt it forward and hope we get a break. Rae needs to turn it round quickly and I'm.not sure he's got it tbh. Early in the season but for me its deja vu ......... clock is ticking

1 minute ago, guinness said:

Sorry sonny if that was enough to put you off for the season you were never much of a supporter in the first place

You know f**k all about me. I have been to every away game this season and the standard of football is totally shite with Rae's 'lets keep the ball in the air' tactics. It would not matter what midfielders we signed as while we play the same tactics we will get nothing from a game.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:16 AM, BaldyOzBud said:

I'm sure that I saw a post on twitter from the  bowling club, shared by St Mirren active where they were encouraging Saints fans to come in for pre match libations :D

3 hours ago, Slash said:

Personally I had a great day out at the seaside.

Thankfuly I avoided Ayr and went to Largs with the family. Cracking fish supper and ice cream from Nardinis for less than the price of watching Saints struggle.

Modern fitba is PISH. 

My day at the seaside was helped by visiting around 8 different bars before and after the game  :cheers    It was also helped by finding out I had won £20 in a scratch card in Langs bar the week before. My thanks to the guys that run their bus for their honestly since instead of keeping the cash, they looked for who they thought has won it since I would never had known  :clapping

Edited by renfrew

What is more than a little ironic is that Rae's beloved Sevco went with the exact same signing policy as him,  of getting a load of 'past their sell by date' pro's from a higher league with a scattering of unready youth, punted it down the middle endlessly, and they lost out to a Hearts team rebuilt with genuine talent.

they never learn!

Well if you havent been telling them to "Shell It" for weeks Alex who the f**k has???

After the match St Mirren manager Alex Rae looked back on the ninety minutes. He said: “If you don’t defend a simple ball into the back post you’re going to become unstuck and we didn’t do that again. I want us to be a wee bit braver on the ball. It looks like we’re asking them to shell the ball and we done some stuff in the last couple of days about playing the lines because we felt as if we could get joy by doing that and we’re just shelling balls up. It’s just a wee bit of a [lack of] confidence – taking the easy option – but I’m pleased we got the point but it’s nowhere near acceptable. 

“One of the things that gives you confidence is how you are playing yourself. When you’re getting on the ball and passing the ball. At no point have we told the boys to start shelling the ball. There’s the odd diagonal that might be effective when it is up to John Sutton but it becomes an easy option. 

“We tried to utilise Ryan [Hardie’s] pace in behind and when we get the service into him he just sets it on a plate. 

“We wanted to be brave. We played three at the back and wanted to try and take the game to Ayr.”

That wasn't acceptable today - I've seen junior teams set up better than that.Sutton was winning everything in the air yet we had no width in the side. Only tactic seems to be punt it forward and hope we get a break. Rae needs to turn it round quickly and I'm.not sure he's got it tbh. Early in the season but for me its deja vu ......... clock is ticking

Sutton won everything in the air????

Every throw in he was behind the defender. That's just lazy. He missed a sitter at 1-1.

Rae will NOT turn in around.

I actually think we have not a bad squad of players, we should be performing much better than we are but the manager is an imposter.  

His hoofball tactics are dreadful to watch and clearly not going to get any positive results. Our game plan was to give the ball to Irvine and he will launch a diagonal hoof to the back post. Total garbage.

He's tinkered quite a lot with a few positions and shape but bizarrely continues to persevere with Baird and Webster at the back. 

I hope today was the last time I need to watch that pish under his control, unfortunately he's likely to get more time.

Scene after game at Somerset Park...

Rae has to get away sharpish for a club function in the Louden Tavern (his real club) so he has to bodybswerve the team bus back and has arranged his own transport.

steward at main entrance is met by a taxi driver

"Taxi tae Govan"

Steward "is it for Rae?"

"aye"

Steward "park it forty yards doon the street then"

"wheraboots"

Steward "disnae matter, somebody else will get there first and pump it back this way"

Hopefully Farrell still has his taxi!

Only the 2nd league game I've been to this season, the other being Morton and in both games we scored with our only attempt on target.

The 7 of us who went down agreed that the 2 hours we were in the ground was the worst part of a brilliant day out.

I watched Saints during the mid-late 90s but the current performances are as bad as it has ever been.

47 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

That's just unacceptable from the goalie, nothing short of awful.

Am I right in saying this is a set piece? I don't have a problem with the what the keeper is doing, it's the defender (is that Naismith?) who doesn't do his job. He lets Jamie Adams get the run on him without ever getting close to him and Adams gets up first He doesn't even put Adams under pressure. 

I was swaying about whether go or not, but I'm glad I did. Great entertainment and value for money.

However, that's enough about Kunt and the Gang at the Edinburgh Fringe. Thank f*ck I gave Ayr a miss.

That's the first fixture I've missed at Ayr since the 1982/83 League Cup game. I was 100% certain to attend when the fixtures were announced, and that was still sitting at about 70/30 before last week's game, but zero entertainment yet again changed things.

Life's too short to waste it watching this pish every week.

watching the highlights, yeah the fullback is caught out, but I'm going to hand blame to the keeper as well. I always think anything that comes into the 6 yard box in the air should be the keepers ball, punching or catching it. Whats the point in being able to jump and using your hands if you don't even try and do it. 

Baird is miles short of Championship level. We should have shipped him out on loan or sometjing to get hin games whilst playing mire experienced players.

As fornour midfield. We had Murray last year who was predominantly a midfielder in his playing days who had a non existant midfield. Now we have Rae, who was a sitting midfieder who has put together a comomete powder puff midfield.

We all know that this isn't going to be turned around any time soon.

It's going to be another long hard slog this season. That's the reality, yet again.

Why do you want Gordon and McKenzie in when the glaring obvious weaknesses is the midfield. Rae changed the formation today and defensively it was ok. Creativity was non existent leading to us booming aimless punts from all angles towards Sutton. We need to sign two central midfielders as an urgency before the window closes. No matter what formation we play, a midfield of Mallan and Hutton will not work. Hutton needs another central midfield digger to allow Mallan to go forward and create from midfield. Some things were better today. Irvine was much better back on the right and Walsh git forward well when replacing Stewart. Clarkson tried hard but like Irvine last week he was a square peg in a round hole. We need natural central midfielders and quickly.

Midfield is bad. But Webster and Baird are a liabilty