Ayr United v St Mirren Championship 27/8/16

shull

The yellow for Mallan when he dispossessed Harkins towards the end of the game was ridiculous. Its clear from the highlights that he won the ball and the tackle was from the side. We thought so at the time and it is now confirmed clear as day. Harkins should have been booked for his ridiculous antics going to ground.

Anyway, that's by the by. Again, awful performance, but a great day out that excepted.

Edited by Drew

home now. I didn't boo or shout bad things. Never would. Tried and still trying to put a positive slant on it all. But, jeezo. Lucky to escape with a draw...and yes Sutton should have won it. Loved Somerset Park.
 Enjoyed meeting Drew and Big Jake and Southside Saint and Erskine Saint fae Tiree..and Div and the best looking boy in Scotland! I enjoyed the whole experience. I wont be negative or talk St Mirren down in any way....but we need to improve.

Away now to read this  thread and try and find the highlights online.

Still.....and always...COYS.  By the way, that Ayr Utd shop is absolutely fantastic...I mean the best ever football club shop.

Loved the final bit of the highlights... after Sutton has missed his chance at the end. Ayr on the break and Naismith looks and spots an Ayr forward behind him and then watches and jogs as the Ayr player runs past him to get a free shot unchallenged from 12 yards out in injury time. Still there are signs of improvement. He was well inside the TV picture as his man almost scored... and Ayr missed the chance and we got the point.

Naismith shouldn't be playing. He had a decent spell 2013/14 but since then he hasn't pushed on. He just simply isn't v good. The Ayr right back was v impressive. Good passer, fast runner. All the things Jason isn't.

Jason just been out of the game for 8 months and you expect him to be back to his best in 4 league games. Your demented. There's not a player on the planet that could do that.

3 hours ago, farmer john said:

Enjoyed meeting Drew and Big Jake....

Likewise, Sir.  It was great to make your acquaintance. What a journey for a shite performance, but glad you enjoyed the day otherwise, John. Apologies again for inadvertently giving you the runaround over the bowling club:P

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Jason just been out of the game for 8 months and you expect him to be back to his best in 4 league games. Your demented. There's not a player on the planet that could do that.

He's had a pre-season Gary and 8 games , if he's not fully fit he shouldn't be in the team. Truth is , he's not a patch on the player he was before the injury , an that's a major worry from the club's point of view !

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Jason was almost ready to play and get game time at the end of last season but Rae didn't want to bring him back too early and risk him. He's had a full preseason the 4 league cup games and 4 league matches and looks as though he is almost back to the disappointing form displayed under Tommy Craig and Gary Teale when he looked disinterested in basic defensive duties but not bad going forward... this year he has yet to look good going forward (except one move in the first half against Morton).  

22 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jason was almost ready to play and get game time at the end of last season but Rae didn't want to bring him back too early and risk him. He's had a full preseason the 4 league cup games and 4 league matches and looks as though he is almost back to the disappointing form displayed under Tommy Craig and Gary Teale when he looked disinterested in basic defensive duties but not bad going forward... this year he has yet to look good going forward (except one move in the first half against Morton).  

He's a good player its up to the manager and coaches to bring the best out of him. We have a lot of good/decent players under performing. Either they have become bad players over the close season or there is some other reason. 

ETA one of his biggest assets was to get right down the flank as an overlapping full back. It would appear that Rae doesn't want him to do that.

Edited by Kendo

1 minute ago, Kendo said:

He's a good player its up to the manager and coaches to bring the best out of him. We have a lot of good/decent players under performing. Either they have become bad players over the close season or there is some other reason. 

Or another possibility is he was a promising prospect during his debut season under Danny Lennon and has gone backwards since and could join a long line of St Mirren players who were good enough to be Scotland U21 players and who never fulfilled their potential after a good first season. At the minute, and for the last 2 seasons where he hasn't been injured he has been one of our poorest defenders defensively. DVZ would track back quicker than Naismith does at the minute!

7 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Or another possibility is he was a promising prospect during his debut season under Danny Lennon and has gone backwards since and could join a long line of St Mirren players who were good enough to be Scotland U21 players and who never fulfilled their potential after a good first season. At the minute, and for the last 2 seasons where he hasn't been injured he has been one of our poorest defenders defensively. DVZ would track back quicker than Naismith does at the minute!

So why is Mallan so poor this season. Why is Hutton (QOS player of the season) so poor. Gallacher before he got injured so poor, our entire strike force of Shankland, Sutton, Hardie and Clarkson so poor. Have they all suddenly got hopeless or is it down to how they are being asked to play? 

In fact who is any good? 

11 minutes ago, Kendo said:

So why is Mallan so poor this season. Why is Hutton (QOS player of the season) so poor. Gallacher before he got injured so poor, our entire strike force of Shankland, Sutton, Hardie and Clarkson so poor. Have they all suddenly got hopeless or is it down to how they are being asked to play? 

In fact who is any good? 

Gallagher wasn't particulalrly brilliant for most of last season, Mallan (if you discount his goal tally) wasn't a great midfielder by Championship standards. My answer would be the players individually and collectively are low on confidence. I'm sure Rae must be feeling low on confidence himself the way things are going at the minute

22 hours ago, Drew said:

:lol:

There's midfielders and then there's midfielders. they've all got their strengths and (at our level) their weaknesses. I think what DoP was trying to say is that if Mallan ain't scoring then he ain't contributing enough.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the way things have gone so far this season, I said after the LC exit that maybe the signings weren't as good as we thought and that the squad was unbalanced. I think the balance of forum opinion has shifted since then but like I've said elsewhere I'd give Rae till early December like Craig and Murray got. I certainly wouldn't sack him two days (I think) before the transfer window closes, financially it'd be crippling and who knows he may pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Following St. Mirren has always been a long and winding road............................

Edited by Bud the Baker

53 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's midfielders and then there are midfielders. they all got their strengths and (at our level) their weaknesses. I think what DoP was trying to say is that if Mallan ain't scoring then he ain't contributing enough.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the way things have gone so far this season, I said after the LC exit that maybe the signings weren't as good as we thought and that the squad was unbalanced. I think the balance of forum opinion has shifted since then but like I've said elsewhere I'd give Rae till early December like Craig and Murray got. I certainly wouldn't sack him two days (I think) before the transfer window closes, financially it'd be crippling and who knows he may pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Following St. Mirren has always been a long and winding road............................

On reflection I think Mallan is a big part of this seasons problems.  People are screaming for a defensive midfielder (idiots chanting Goodwins name on Saturday ffs !) but imo we need an attacking midfielder, a guy who can put his foot on the ball, pick a (forward) pass, and bring others into the game to stop the defence having to hoof it towards Sutton.  Mallan isn't that player (so far this season anyway) and is contributing next to nothing in the games I have seen.  He appears to be in the team in case we get a set piece in shooting range (which we haven't much). We played on Saturday with the full backs trying to create width leaving Hutton to try to anchor the midfield thus leaving Mallan to try to be creative.  It's a big ask for both these guys as they get no help at all especially when we played two up with Clarkson in behind. We need an on form Mallan or we need to find another attacking midfielder / play maker type in the mould of McGowan / McLean.  We are dreadfully short on numbers in the midfield area and if we don't bring at least another 1 midfielder in we will continue to struggle unless Mallan finds some form.

He has also told not cross half line by a clueless manager. So yes he's not as effective going forward. Seems to me were dying to pick on 1 player and blame for our troubles I remember when it was John Young in 70s. More recently it was Cheesey now it seem to be Jason. Name me one player who has had a good start to the season with exception of Lewis Morgan. If you say 1 your a liar. It's pitiful this season so far. To single Jason for it is a disgrace.

In fact who is any good? 

Spot on Kendo

That was the first time I'd seen the team this season.....jesus wept that was torture. I spent most of the first half trying to work out what our tactics were - I think the same can be said of the players. There was an enormous gap between the midfield and the attack. We looked so lightweight with Mallan and Hutton in there and I lost count of the numbers of cross field punts that were played.....straight out of the pitch. It was poor, poor stuff. Rae needs to get this sorted now or it'll be a repeat of last year. 

I'd rather have the entertaining passing football that Danny aimed for without getting 3 points than the long ball tedium without 3 points. Its a lose, lose at the moment.

He has also told not cross half line by a clueless manager. So yes he's not as effective going forward. Seems to me were dying to pick on 1 player and blame for our troubles I remember when it was John Young in 70s. More recently it was Cheesey now it seem to be Jason. Name me one player who has had a good start to the season with exception of Lewis Morgan. If you say 1 your a liar. It's pitiful this season so far. To single Jason for it is a disgrace.

The very same John Young I saw leave the pitch at Kilbowie with a certain Davie Cooper still in his back pocket. I agree.
Fans aye. Supporters naw.

Lewis Morgan had a good half against Ayr United in the cup and a decent cross against Morton. Apart from that he's hardly had a good start to the season.......Unless you've a Lewis Morgan top above your mantle piece.

Seems to be a case if you're right & everyone else can shut up.

Lewis Morgan had a good half against Ayr United in the cup and a decent cross against Morton. Apart from that he's hardly had a good start to the season.......Unless you've a Lewis Morgan top above your mantle piece.

Seems to be a case if you're right & everyone else can shut up.

Name somebody who's done more. And he's a teenage boy just starting his top team career.