Old Firm to English League

Guest TPAFKATS

at a time when football attendences are on the decline, the EFL talks about expanding the league?? The teams are there though.

The "clubs themselves" will be the conversion on the National League (formerly Vanarama/Vauxhall Conference) into the new division and they're trying to give it credence by sound biting the 2 behemoths from Glasgow.

There are enough clubs now in the National Leagues to make this happen.

At least 8 of the current 24 teams in the national League have been in the football league previously. The likes of Chester, York & Torquay have never got a sniff of promotion & I suspect, would jump at the chance, along with Dagenham & Tranmere Rovers. There's at least another 5 or so in National League North along with a couple of teams in NL South who would fancy their chances if fast tracked into League 3 (Division 5).

If Rankers & Septic were seriously considered and they did go south, it must be on the condition that they do not have a reserve/colt side in the Scottish league at all. One or the other, not both.

Just assumed it was, is it not? What happened to Chester, did they do a 1/2 Ranger?  They went bust & had the courtesy to stay bust?

There are quite a few "non league teams paying players around £500 per week. They'll fancy a piece of the finances that can be had by being a "League Club" The League & FA cup might differ slightly due to an increase in eligible clubs. League Cup, I suspect would have a qualifying round to get to the current constitution and Div 5 Teams entering the FA cup in the advanced stages of the FA qualifying rounds.

I suspect , the likes of Dagenham, Tranmere & all that will fancy the quickest route back to the league that they can get.

3 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Chester City went bust & new club started afresh. I have no allegences to the team now called Chester FC. emoji24.png

Sorry to hear. There's a few ex league clubs languishing in the national Leagues

Altrincham, York, Torquay to name but a few and quite a few clubs with a bit of backing who'd jump at getting into the league proper, even if it was Div 5.

45 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

There is plenty of teams in the lower leagues that have played in the top 4 leagues and I believe most have been financial mismanaged at one time or another.

I'd find it hard to believe that clubs would want the ugly sisters as they'd be possibly be losing money if the Ugly Sisters were promoted before them.

I agree, never seen or heard of a turkey voting for Christmas but football is morally bankrupt. Rankers & Septic are big fish in a very small pond, would they really accept being small fish in a big pond.

Chance would be a fine thing.

Guest TPAFKATS

There is plenty of teams in the lower leagues that have played in the top 4 leagues and I believe most have been financial mismanaged at one time or another.

I'd find it hard to believe that clubs would want the ugly sisters as they'd be possibly be losing money if the Ugly Sisters were promoted before them.

Its all ifs, buts and mibees however it might be that they'd be happy with a couple of bumper crowds as compensation? Similar to sevco working their way through the lower leagues on Scotland?
For some teams promotion might not be a financial bonanza?

Its all ifs, buts and mibees however it might be that they'd be happy with a couple of bumper crowds as compensation? Similar to sevco working their way through the lower leagues on Scotland?
For some teams promotion might not be a financial bonanza?

The difference being that there is absolutely no guarantee that they will end up in the top league within 5 years, if at all. Their fan base would soon get fed up if that happened. Look at clubs like Leeds, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday etc

Guest TPAFKATS

The difference being that there is absolutely no guarantee that they will end up in the top league within 5 years, if at all. Their fan base would soon get fed up if that happened. Look at clubs like Leeds, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday etc

I'm not getting the relevance to my post that you quoted - i was talking about lower league teams being content with the bumper crowd from each of the OF once a season.
However if either of the OF were to move to England and lose a significant number of their fan base that would be a win/win [emoji106]

I'm not getting the relevance to my post that you quoted - i was talking about lower league teams being content with the bumper crowd from each of the OF once a season.
However if either of the OF were to move to England and lose a significant number of their fan base that would be a win/win [emoji106]

I was referring to Sevco working their way through East Stirling etc. Should they go and I hope they do, it may be a very long journey indeed.

It's got to be a wind up.

Both clubs have massive and fervent fan bases – Celtic had a gate of 57,758 for their 4-1 win over Aberdeen on Saturday, Rangers attracted a crowd of 48,716 for the recent win over Motherwell – as well as illustrious histories.

If they have a collective title of OLD firm then my 7 year old grandson must be feckin' ancient!

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Any "bears" watching the BT sport round up last night would have been fuming. They discussed the issue of Celtics ability to compete in the EPL if they were allowed entry. Not one mention of Sevco, (or any alternative name they wish to use).

Jeff Stelling made the comment yesterday that the game v Ross County "Was the first league meeting between the clubs" had a wee chuckle.