Ex-Loanees from Newcastle

Looking at the lower league action in England at the weekend I was a bit surprised to see where some of our ex-loanees are playing nowadays.

Paul Dummett was in the Newcastle team that beat Brighton 2-0 in the Championship.

Wee Adam Campbell (remember him ?) played and scored for Notts County in their 3-1 away win at Crawley in League 2.

Conor Newton was an unused substitute for Cambridge United in their 0-3 defeat at home to Luton in League 2. Cambridge are bottom of the league and will drop out of the league if they stay there.

In their time with St Mirren I would have rated Newton ahead of the other two. He became a legend when he scored the most important goal for us in our recent history but his career appears to be disappearing down the toilet pan. A big shame IMO.

I too watched the EFL coverage on Channel 5 on Saturday night as the wife was oot.  The regular pundit is ex-Saint Chris Iwelumo who seemed very well versed in the English lower leagues.  In fact, every time the presenters highlighted a player or even mentioned one big Chris's stock reply seemed to be "Good lad, excellent professional. I played with him at ..............................? He phoned/texted me this week and we .....", or words to that effect.  It seemed a bit far fetched so I checked and he played for 14 different clubs in England and a further 4 in Scotland and the continent.  Can't we get him as our scout south of the border?

The Channel 5 programmes are quite good. I like tuning in for a regular laugh at Newcastle, and my youngest likes Blackpool so we watch it together. There's a good pace to the programme. Not too much chat or highlights of a team passing the ball around the back before winning a throw in on the half way line as you often get on Sportscene. With regards the three players, Dummett has surprised me. I didn't think much of him at all when he was at the club and I laughed at Newcastle when they had so many injuries in the Premiership that they had to use him. But the fact he's held onto his place while the team slides down the divisions is a testament to him. 

Newton and Campbell in League Two isn't a surprise. It's still a level ahead of St Mirren. 

I really liked Dummett. He was a bit raw, but he was a decent footballer, could pass, tackle and cross well. Physically impressive too, quick, strong, brave and aggressive. I'm not surprised to see him doing so well.

I rated Newton too, had a lot to learn, but plenty of natural ability. Thought he'd be doing better for himself.

Campbell showed potential in flashes, looked like he could be a player, but faded in games and sometimes didn't seem particularly interested.

I'm pretty sure Newton is a regular in the Cambridge side. You find that most clubs at that level rotate their squads quite a bit due to the demands of 46 league games plus FA Cup, League Cup and Paint Trophy fixtures on top of that. 

I've watched Carlisle a few times at Brunton park and the standard at that level is fairly poor. I mind watching Saints pre-season down at Darlington and was surprised that it wasnt as close to the level of SPL or Scottish Championship as I had expected. Newton could definitely be playing a level or two up down south again.