Jack Copland

23 minutes ago, Slash said:

About time Jack Copland was inducted into the hall of fame. He served Saints well as a player and also in various roles after his playing career finished. I personally found him very friendly and he always took the time to talk to fans. I think he had a falling out with the previous board and that may explain why he is only getting inducted now.

He was a great player and although my memory is fading a bit I do remember him working in the Saints Shop in the Piazza. I'd go in there to waste some of my pocket money on those wee metal badges you used to get, or to buy or order programmes (I seem to remember being able to buy programmes from matches that didn't feature the Saints although I might be getting that wrong) and talking football. Thinking back now he must have been hell of a patient. 

Good guy whose induction is long overdue

13 hours ago, Slash said:

About time Jack Copland was inducted into the hall of fame. He served Saints well as a player and also in various roles after his playing career finished. I personally found him very friendly and he always took the time to talk to fans. I think he had a falling out with the previous board and that may explain why he is only getting inducted now.

Did he not work in a commercial role years back, the 'Love street era' ? Sacked or removed by the previous owners or something like that ??

Absolute legend of a player and a person. A nicer guy you could not meet. I remember in my first day on the road in my first sales job going to meet Jackie and winning my first sale at the old SMFC leisure club. I was grinning like a star struck teenager just to be sitting chatting to Jackie. Let's hope his HoF board goes up before we move stadium again......

On 30 August 2016 at 11:20 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

They way I remember it was he ran the gym area under the Caledonian Stand, profitably for the club, and Gilmour and Co rented it out to a private company.

Wasn't he General Manager at one stage? I'm sure he worked commercially as well before being demoted to the leisure facilities. 

Great at to hear he's getting this long overdue recognition, absolute gentleman. 

Edited by davidg

On 29 August 2016 at 9:21 PM, Slash said:

Agreed, a great player who, if he had played for an English club like Martin Buchan, would have had more Scotland caps.  And yes, I do believe there was a falling out with the previous board, severely enough that when I last spoke to him (about a year or so ago?), he had never set foot in the new stadium as result. I don't know if he has since set foot in the stadium but it will be good to see him back again.

Weird timing as i was having a bear with Jacks son Stuart last week over here and we were talking a fair bit about Jack. Well deserved and merited for everything he done at the club. If it wasn't for Jack i maybe wouldn't have got so hooked on Saints as he use to get myself and Stuart into the hospitality suit in the old main stand regularly. As many have said, he is very nice guy and deserves this recognition

I'd like to think all the times i mentioned Yardley from div 3 to Jack, it had something to do with him joining us lol