Jack Copland

Used to play 5's at the same time as me but on the other pitch under the Caledonia Stand when he must have been mid-50's and he always had a smile and a minute for a Saints fan. Fell out with the old BoD due to the decline of the gym whose profits were syphoned off to subsidise the rest of the club in the dark days - it was getting a bit shabby and no longer making a profit when it was eventually outsourced. Glad he's back with the club. 

Weird timing as i was having a bear with Jacks son Stuart last week over here and we were talking a fair bit about Jack. Well deserved and merited for everything he done at the club. If it wasn't for Jack i maybe wouldn't have got so hooked on Saints as he use to get myself and Stuart into the hospitality suit in the old main stand regularly. As many have said, he is very nice guy and deserves this recognition

I'd like to think all the times i mentioned Yardley from div 3 to Jack, it had something to do with him joining us lol

I'm intrigued about the 'bear' , care to elaborate?

On 01/09/2016 at 11:37 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Used to play 5's at the same time as me but on the other pitch under the Caledonia Stand when he must have been mid-50's and he always had a smile and a minute for a Saints fan. Fell out with the old BoD due to the decline of the gym whose profits were syphoned off to subsidise the rest of the club in the dark days - it was getting a bit shabby and no longer making a profit when it was eventually outsourced. Glad he's back with the club. 

I played alongside Jack then.He was  a hero of mine who became a good friend and had great stories from his playing days which had me hanging onto every word.

My favourite time from playing alongside him was when he screamed at one of our players to get in the hole.His lips were quivering and he explained he did not know which hole he was to get in to.He also clothes lined a guy who thought it was a good idea to take the piss out of a lesser player.Jack did not take too kindly to that and the guy was on the floor and it looked like no foul had been committed.

This induction is long overdue and i would hope he is around the club more often.He has a lot to offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great to hear about Jack getting his Hall of Fame Award tonight.

By all accounts, a brilliant night and very well deserved for an emotional Mr Copland.

We seem to organise fantastic " dinners "

Should maybe forget about the Football side of the Business ..........

Edited by shull

I can't hear the video for some reason, I'll try again later, but brilliant to see him get the award. So richly deserved. 

Perhaps it was just through the freak of the jobs he did within the club, but I honestly don't think there has ever been another ex Saint in my lifetime that has been so affable and so approachable to so many St Mirren fans. A superb player, a magnificent club captain, a brilliant shop keeper and a man who probably did more to keep the club going through some of it's darkest years than any club chairman thanks to the regular income the club got from the gym 

28 minutes ago, pick said:

Great to take some pix of  Jack getting his Hall of Fame Award on Friday night.

A brilliant night and very well deserved for an emotional Mr Copland.

jc.jpg

FFS

The St Mirren Incompetence Thread for Basher's Photo

So fecking hopeless

Edited by shull

Enjoyed a great night on Friday. Jackie Copland said in his brief but emotional speech that he hadn't been inside St Mirren Park for over 11 years. I find that very sad for someone who had spent so many years at the club and who was held in such high regard by the support. He said that after speaking to many people throughout the evening he was glad to be reminded that there were still so many great people about the club. Hopefully see him back at the club in the very near future.

An enjoyable and emotional night for a truely great man.

1480281469753.thumb.jpg.d0c2c5f7312e87ce

1 hour ago, Mr Zo said:

Enjoyed a great night on Friday. Jackie Copland said in his brief but emotional speech that he hadn't been inside St Mirren Park for over 11 years. I find that very sad for someone who had spent so many years at the club and who was held in such high regard by the support. He said that after speaking to many people throughout the evening he was glad to be reminded that there were still so many great people about the club. Hopefully see him back at the club in the very near future.

1480281469753.jpg

Great pic Mr Zo . Jackie Copland is still my favourite Saint Mirren player , ever. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime
Edited by Tom for spelling. .

1480281469753.jpg

That is really sad to hear.

The word legend is banded about far too readily... But Jack would have been one of the first names in my Hall of Fame.

Without his experience I truly don't think our club would have achieved what it did.

Absolute legend and should have a red carpet laid from his house to the stadium and be given a key!

Why are so many of the St.Mirren greats missing from the Hall of Fame? Now that Jack Copeland is inducted when will Billy Thomson be inducted. Criteria is by invitation and player must have 200 games under his belt. According to Saints info page  http://www.stmirren.info/id110.html Billy has played 284 games. Ian Munro has a combined 251 games is another good shout http://www.stmirren.info/id103.html . ( Both Thomson and Munro are still Saints most capped Scotland players on 7 caps), Mark Fulton, http://www.stmirren.info/id96.html. There must be loads more. Poor Bobby Reid though only played 187 games so he's no Saints great!!!!

15 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Why are so many of the St.Mirren greats missing from the Hall of Fame? Now that Jack Copeland is inducted when will Billy Thomson be inducted. Criteria is by invitation and player must have 200 games under his belt. According to Saints info page  http://www.stmirren.info/id110.html Billy has played 284 games. Ian Munro has a combined 251 games is another good shout http://www.stmirren.info/id103.html . ( Both Thomson and Munro are still Saints most capped Scotland players on 7 caps), Mark Fulton, http://www.stmirren.info/id96.html. There must be loads more. Poor Bobby Reid though only played 187 games so he's no Saints great!!!!

The Squad of March 17th 2013 are all greats and legends.