What makes a St Mirren Fan?

28 minutes ago, Isma is god is back said:

f**k off stu yer a fud, come on here act the big man cause ye offered the board money, mate we all know we ye offered money so ye go shag the players ya big f**king bender. Yer as honest as the Russian track and field team ye've told at least 10 different versions of the same story on this site ya f**king semen demon, and leave oaksoft alone if anyone's going to take the piss out that mad f**king bellend it's going to be me. Understand ya f**king arse bandit 

The forum is really going places. :lol:

It's a good question and one that is worthy of this site!

I was born outside of the town, but dragged up and educated in it, so at the relatively tender age of 9 I was taken to Love St by my Dad (who was a Plastic Whistle supporter) and from that point on I was hooked. 

In these days crowds of 8 to 10,000 were commonplace with the old firm and the likes of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen pushing the crowds up beyond 15,000 regularly. Not everything in these days was rosy, there were the ups and mostly the downs. Bear in mind we won the cup in 59, then the next stab at domestic glory was '62 when we were beaten by the blue brigade and we had to wait until '87 to win another domestic cup. So a long time with many periods in the doldrums, and during that period my support never wavered.

So what induced me to support Saints, when quite plainly both the old firm were being competitive in Europe, won the domestic leagues monotonously and at times played really attractive football. I suppose it was my cussedness to some extent by inwardly saying it's easy to support either of the Glasgow teams who were winners, but did I feel any association with them, or did I think that what they represented was what I wanted to be associated with?

Div is right in what he says, we are at a relatively low point in terms of the product on the park. Will it get worse?........... maybe. Will it get better?.......... definitely.

Some will argue that for some years we haven't had players on the park who played "for the jersey". The League Cup win suggests otherwise, but I would agree that at times I wonder if the players are always committed. I am a believer that a team of middle ranking players can be knocked into shape as a team and become a difficult team to beat and at present that is what I'm hoping for.

You might also argue that with the youth set up we have a number of younger players might grow into a team with an affinity to Saints, but in these days, most will see their involvement with SMFC as a stepping stone to a better grade and lifestyle. The best we can hope for is honest endeavour and bringing their skill to the park and demonstrating they are good players and worthy of a chance at a higher level. If we benefit along the way, so much the better.

Yes we all get frustrated at poor football, negative tactics and a lack of endeavour. The Manager is responsible for changing that, utilising the players to the best of their abilities and instilling camaraderie and a desire to work hard.............. if any Manager can't bring that to his desk each day, then he is failing in his approach. Do I believe that AR has it, I suppose my answer is I'm not sure. What I've seen this season, suggests they haven't gelled, yet in theory it is a better squad than last year. Can he turn it around, yes he can, as all managers can, all it takes are two or three results.

So encapsulated within the post is what makes a fan.................. a liking for the sport, perhaps an understanding parent, an association (no matter how thin), occasional bright spots, having a thick skin, and an injection of an unknown drug that makes you turn up through thick and thin and still shout for your team.:o

Edited by The Original 59er

Dicky doesn't half talk some shite. Gilmour made a c**t of him and he's been in a massive huff ever since. However his made up stories of tickets dropping through his mailbox on matchday, or just happening to be in Greenock when the Renfrewshire cup was on are pure fantasy and nobody is buying it. The guy also spends a vast amount of his spare time talking about St. Mirren on a St. Mirren's fan website.

The board has changed Stu, maybe it's time to change the record. 

8 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

It's a good question and one that is worthy of this site!

I was born outside of the town, but dragged up and educated in it, so at the relatively tender age of 9 I was taken to Love St by my Dad (who was a Plastic Whistle supporter) and from that point on I was hooked. 

In these days crowds of 8 to 10,000 were commonplace with the old firm and the likes of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen pushing the crowds up beyond 15,000 regularly. Not everything in these days was rosy, there were the ups and mostly the downs. Bear in mind we won the cup in 59, then the next stab at domestic glory was '62 when we were beaten by the blue brigade and we had to wait until '87 to win another domestic cup. So a long time with many periods in the doldrums, and during that period my support never wavered.

So what induced me to support Saints, when quite plainly both the old firm were being competitive in Europe, won the domestic leagues monotonously and at times played really attractive football. I suppose it was my cussedness to some extent by inwardly saying it's easy to support either of the Glasgow teams who were winners, but did I feel any association with them, or did I think that what they represented was what I wanted to be associated with?

Div is right in what he says, we are at a relatively low point in terms of the product on the park. Will it get worse?........... maybe. Will it get better?.......... definitely.

Some will argue that for some years we haven't had players on the park who played "for the jersey". The League Cup win suggests otherwise, but I would agree that at times I wonder if the players are always committed. I am a believer that a team of middle ranking players can be knocked into shape as a team and become a difficult team to beat and at present that is what I'm hoping for.

You might also argue that with the youth set up we have a number of younger players might grow into a team with an affinity to Saints, but in these days, most will see their involvement with SMFC as a stepping stone to a better grade and lifestyle. The best we can hope for is honest endeavour and bringing their skill to the park and demonstrating they are good players and worthy of a chance at a higher level. If we benefit along the way, so much the better.

Yes we all get frustrated at poor football, negative tactics and a lack of endeavour. The Manager is responsible for changing that, utilising the players to the best of their abilities and instilling camaraderie and a desire to work hard.............. if any Manager can't bring that to his desk each day, then he is failing in his approach. Do I believe that AR has it, I suppose my answer is I'm not sure. What I've seen this season, suggests they haven't gelled, yet in theory it is a better squad than last year. Can he turn it around, yes he can, as all managers can, all it takes are two or three results.

So encapsulated within the post is what makes a fan.................. a liking for the sport, perhaps an understanding parent, an association (no matter how thin), occasional bright spots, having a thick skin, and an injection of an unknown drug that makes you turn up through thick and thin and still shout for your team.:o

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

On 30/08/2016 at 10:21 AM, St.Ricky said:

As an avid reader (now very recently also a contributor) of the B&WA Forum, I sometimes feel more than a little dejected at the vitriol poured out by some fans towards the club, the board and other fans of the Buddies. Now, I agree fully, that football stirs passions and that we, at times. take very different views. None more so than regarding the then "current" manager. Nothing wrong with that but personal vilification of the individuals seem to serve no useful purpose other than to further divide loyalties amongst fans and perhaps even players. This is to my mind, highly counter-productive to creating the Us (Club, Manager, Players, Fans) and Them (Our opposition). 

I have liked some boards, admired the work done by some, taken issue with some decisions but have never doubted that those involved were interested in the same thing as I was - having a financially stable club which punches above its weight (in my mind this translates as finishing higher up the leagues than their average attendance figures suggest they should). Managers have different approaches but each tries to create a team and squad which will fulfill this objective and in doing so, win more often than they lose. Entertainment is for many of these perhaps an understandable secondary desire. 

As fans, we can be guilty of being greedy and why not? Fans of every club would like to have it all, a board that they believe in, a manager they have confidence in and a team that is delivering results on the pitch in an entertaining fashion. Just ask fans of the old firm! Patience is a virtue they say but like common sense it is not common. I suffer too when the team loses. I suffer though when we seem to show a lack of respect for our own fans, players and managers of this fine club. One Town One Club. Our club, The Paisley Saint Mirren. 

This is a professional game. We love it but the manager and players largely do what they do for money. It is their means of earning a living. For most their football loyalties lie elsewhere but when they pull on the Black and White they become my heros and I think yours too. So how can we act as Black and White heros? 

We can turn up to watch games, make some noise, we can bring kids to the games, encourage friends to join us, We can buy scratch cards, buy our pies and soft drinks, Buy the kit.

We can show our passions noisily at matches to support players and manager. We can engage in the community activities of the club. More than ever, St Mirren are Our Team.

We can of course express opinions here on our own forum,

Lets support the team, lets support each other,Lets enjoy the good times, endure the bad and hope and plan for better.

Now you might take a different view. That's fine. Feel free to express them.

At the end of the title you missed the word 'happy". To which the answer is, variously, "f**k all", "suicide" or "getting rid of decent managers"......... #bunchofcunts :double

One town one team is bollocks, we only get roughly 5% of the population of the town turning up, but in reality a large portion of Fans come from outside Paisley, ie Erskine, Johnstone Renfrew etc do its more like 

97 out of 100 people in this town do not support the club 

Proportionately- St Mirren are better attended than Leeds United

I've lived in Leeds over 20 years & have attended a couple of hundred Leeds games , but it still doesn't match watching our team.

Leeds - population 751,500

Leeds United - Ave. 24,298

Less than 3%

Not doing to bad , are we ?

One town one team is bollocks, we only get roughly 5% of the population of the town turning up, but in reality a large portion of Fans come from outside Paisley, ie Erskine, Johnstone Renfrew etc do its more like 

97 out of 100 people in this town do not support the club 

Agreed but what reasons do the club give to get the people of the town to support the club?

I didn't have much of a choice really. Mum and Dad were rabid Saints fans (Mum still is, Dad chucked it after Dumbarton pumped us 3-0 in a cup replay) and I was taken along as a young pup and loved every minute of it.
As I got older I stuck with it through some amazing teams and times, from the Anglo Scottish Cup win, to 1987 as a teenager and also through some real shit as well. I always remember though that it felt brilliant to be different. To not support either of those horrible cretins from along the M8. I had a sense of belonging and still do. I've made some great friends through supporting Saints, had some amazing away days and I wouldn't change it for the world.
What does it mean to be a Saints fan though? All of the above, but topped off by the fact that my kids are now huge Saints fans as well. Seeing the look on my youngest's face in 2013 will stick with me forever. As they say in Eastenders, it's all about the family....

On 8/30/2016 at 2:39 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh I've been there but when I reflect back I think it was more a case of not wanting to be in the house on the Saturday afternoon, than having a really deep desire to watch St Mirren play. 

I can remember the first time I had to change my weekly pattern. It was in 99/00 season. St Mirren were chasing the league title, with one of the most entertaining St Mirren sides I'd ever watched play and I had to go to cover a Dunfermline v Raith Rovers match instead. I should have been gutted, but instead I really enjoyed the drive through to Dunfermline and I watched a entertaining game of football. I had people at the St Mirren game sending me updates, and both Dunfermline and Raith were promotion rivals but I quickly realised that so long as I was at a football match and I was enjoying it, it didn't need to be a St Mirren game at all. 

When St Mirren sacked Tom Hendrie in such an underhand manner it was easy for me to simply take my custom elsewhere. I don't think I had been any less emotionally involved than any other St Mirren fan. I'd travelled home and away for years at that point never missing a match and shouted myself hoarse at every game. But suddenly there was a realisation at that point that St Mirren weren't the club I'd put on a pedestal as a kid. Instead they were just as flawed as any other greed ridden football club at that time. It was all about money and f**k all to do with community, fans, club employees or family and it certainly wasn't about doing the right thing. Maybe my expectation as a fan was just unrealistic, but I honestly thought the cause I was backing was something special. When it proved not to be, it was easy to stop being fanatical. 

These days I still take an interest in the Saints. After the buy out I thought maybe I could be a fan again. I've even tried making an effort to go to more St Mirren matches this season even though they haven't been that enjoyable. My two sons are currently season ticket holders and my mate still goes to every home game with his father in law, so it's quite nice to go and spend an afternoon at the game with them . I'd imagine I'll give it most of this season regardless of how the team plays but if member ownership doesn't deliver a club I can feel better about "supporting" I don't think I'll be all that bothered about switching back to just enjoying my football at whatever game I've picked from the fixture list. I think my days of being a fan of anything are long gone though. Being a customer or a member is far more healthy. 

Fan......derogatory? I don't think so. Customer...possibly but a much weaker proposition. In my opinion.

9 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I don't understand that? In what way is it a weaker proposition? 

Stuart

Firstly. It is only my opinion as it is only yours when you give yours.

Being a fan is not merely a commercial transaction in the sense that being a customer is.

That perhaps is the essence. You either share it or you don't. So one is either a fan or not.

I do not mean offence but it seems that you have made it clear that you were a fan but no longer.

I am sure this happens to others for a variety of reasons.

For me - I remain a fan, a believer, perhaps simply because I want to be.

Otherwise I would go and watch any 11 men in the same shirts running around trying to score against any other 11 trying to do the same.

And yes  - I have done that many times. In these cases, I have been a fan of football but a customer of the club involved.

St. Ricky

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Stuart

Firstly. It is only my opinion as it is only yours when you give yours.

Being a fan is not merely a commercial transaction in the sense that being a customer is.

That perhaps is the essence. You either share it or you don't. So one is either a fan or not.

I do not mean offence but it seems that you have made it clear that you were a fan but no longer.

I am sure this happens to others for a variety of reasons.

For me - I remain a fan, a believer, perhaps simply because I want to be.

Otherwise I would go and watch any 11 men in the same shirts running around trying to score against any other 11 trying to do the same.

And yes  - I have done that many times. In these cases, I have been a fan of football but a customer of the club involved.

St. Ricky

I'm not taking offence to any of this. I am a customer and I did used to be a fan. I just don't get is why you think that's a weaker proposition. I'm in control now, I don't just empty my pockets on demand. And at the same time if a club wants to keep me going back they need to make the match day experience enjoyable whether or not that involves winning. 

I love my football and would never be without it. What makes you and I different is that I'm more discerning whilst you aren't. I can't see how that makes it a weaker proposition.  

For me down here in Newcastle they'd always stood out as the team in black and white stripes on the last page of my Pannini sticker albums at school. Then one xmas during a short stay in Bridge of Weir i actually got to see them play. Loved the way the so called underdogs could take on and match the OF, as well as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd who were strong sides back then in 1983. It feels special to be a saints fan.