Decathlon at Braehead

shull

I was in this Sports Shop/Warehouse on Saturday. 

Got a few football things for my daughter. 

A great place selling many sporting items. 

And reasonable prices. 

Will be back. 

No St Mirren Kit though. 

Decathlon is good for running stuff if you're not bothered about brand names - fairly cheap T-shirts and I prefer them to stuff from Sports Direct.

They have a machine that's meant to help you choose which are the right running shoes for you, will need to give that a try.

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

Decathlon is good for running stuff if you're not bothered about brand names - fairly cheap T-shirts and I prefer them to stuff from Sports Direct.

They have a machine that's meant to help you choose which are the right running shoes for you, will need to give that a try.

Will need to give that a try.

Running my first ever 10K next year on behalf of Ayrshire Hospice in memory of my late dad.

Need good trainers to doIMG_20160904_154613.jpg the great man proud.

Edited by Longtimecoming
Added picture of late father

Good luck to you :) If you've started running/training and you've not had any problems with your current trainers you'll be fine to use them and put off buying new ones for a while. I started back in January using an old pair of trainers and haven't had any problems - any that I think were caused by my trainers anyway!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good luck to you :) If you've started running/training and you've not had any problems with your current trainers you'll be fine to use them and put off buying new ones for a while. I started back in January using an old pair of trainers and haven't had any problems - any that I think were caused by my trainers anyway!

Thanks for advice.

Will stick to old gutties for now then.

Thanks for advice.

Will stick to old gutties for now then.

When I first trained for a 10k I started in Reebok classics [emoji23]

Got talked into buying ones from the experts and they told which ones I needed to get the right support etc. When I first started using the new ones I got strange pains in different parts of my legs which input down to the change of trainers. After a few runs the pains went away and I still have the trainers. Though I recently worked out that they must be 10 years old and will have run a fair few miles.
Well worth the £60 I spent.

• 8 months later...
51 minutes ago, Longtimecoming said:

Wee update. My wife got me new gutties from Decathlon for my 10k in Edinburgh.

Did it in 1hr 5mins 15secs today.

Not too bad for first attempt

Congratulations Sir :clapping

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, Stu said:

They have a machine that's meant to help you choose which are the right  most expensive running shoes for you, will need to give that a try.

Fixed it for you

23 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Fixed it for you

Aye probably. Bit like Strava continually telling me I need new trainers as I've done more than 300 miles in them. 

Went to a shop in Carlisle at the end of last year where I got fitted for running shoes and had a nice chat with the guy about our respective teams (although I missed out the bit about Danny Grainger being a Hearts' obsessed twat). He knocked £15 off the price of them which I thought was nice, then I went home and discovered that was the price in their online sale. Someone was getting me them for Christmas so I wasn't bothered.

Somehow finished 16th at Kirkcudbright Half Marathon (out of more than 160 before anyone gets smart!) last week. Think it was a combination of jelly babies and surviving in the heat while others struggled rather than any brilliance on my part.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Aye probably. Bit like Strava continually telling me I need new trainers as I've done more than 300 miles in them. 

Went to a shop in Carlisle at the end of last year where I got fitted for running shoes and had a nice chat with the guy about our respective teams (although I missed out the bit about Danny Grainger being a Hearts' obsessed twat). He knocked £15 off the price of them which I thought was nice, then I went home and discovered that was the price in their online sale. Someone was getting me them for Christmas so I wasn't bothered.

Somehow finished 16th at Kirkcudbright Half Marathon (out of more than 160 before anyone gets smart!) last week. Think it was a combination of jelly babies and surviving in the heat while others struggled rather than any brilliance on my part.

1.37 on a hilly course in hot weather.

Not bad Stu.

6 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

1.37 on a hilly course in hot weather.

Not bad Stu.

Cheers. A couple of minutes off my PB but I noticed the ladies' winner was two minutes slower than when she won last year so not too bad. About quarter of an hour quicker than I managed on the same course last year as I was just starting off!

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cheers. A couple of minutes off my PB but I noticed the ladies' winner was two minutes slower than when she won last year so not too bad. About quarter of an hour quicker than I managed on the same course last year as I was just starting off!

Hills make a big difference. Neil Renault won it in 2015 in 70.18 and he runs flat HMs in the 66s.

You ran a good time for a relative newbie. Keep it up, put in the training, avoid injury and you'll keep getting better and better.

13 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

Hills make a big difference. Neil Renault won it in 2015 in 70.18 and he runs flat HMs in the 66s.

You ran a good time for a relative newbie. Keep it up, put in the training, avoid injury and you'll keep getting better and better.

He'd probably be a bit quicker if Kirkcudbright didn't start at one o'clock and was nearly always boiling.

He's won it two or three times. Before I started running I had to interview the winners for the paper and he seems a nice guy. The first year he won it someone called Paul Arcari was second. He started spelling out Kilbarchan to me as the name of his club and I told him there was no need - turned out we'd both been to Park Mains. Small world!

4 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Was asked if my name Stephen had a PH or a V in it, I replied it had a K, E and 2 R's. Had to explain it emoji23.png

It's never funny when you have to explain it.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

He'd probably be a bit quicker if Kirkcudbright didn't start at one o'clock and was nearly always boiling.

He's won it two or three times. Before I started running I had to interview the winners for the paper and he seems a nice guy. The first year he won it someone called Paul Arcari was second. He started spelling out Kilbarchan to me as the name of his club and I told him there was no need - turned out we'd both been to Park Mains. Small world!

You say that about the 1pm start but your body is probably able to run faster later in the day than first thing in the morning. Swings and roundabouts...

How come there aren't any parkruns in the Dumfries area? We seem to be swamped with choice in the Glasgow area now. We've even got Linwood now!