Our Mission at Saint Mirren is to.....Discuss.

St.Ricky

A number of threads have posts which mention that the club needs to reinvent itself and reconnect with the fans, town and wider community.

What would you see as the ultimate but realistic mission for the club we support.

By way of example the mission for Stirling Albion, a fan owned club with a smaller fan base, is to become the highest ranked part-time team in Scotland, or so I am told.

Nothing major will happen unless you have a team that can compete on that we have been uncompetitive since the league cup win. That's a long time even for the hard core. Giving out free tickets won't bring in larger crowds punters won't turn up given our results. Once you have a team that can compete that is when you work on the wider community.

Our reasonable expectations are Premier League, Top 6 occasionally .a cup run every now and again, I am afraid some of our fans are delusional about where we lie in the greater scheme of Scottish football. We are no bigger than Dunfermline,Falkirk ,our aim should be St Johnstone, having a good few years  in the top 6.

Would not say our fans are delusional for me we are realistic in the most part. We will bounce back up again but will take the best part of a decade going by our past history.

Our reasonable expectations are Premier League, Top 6 occasionally .a cup run every now and again, I am afraid some of our fans are delusional about where we lie in the greater scheme of Scottish football. We are no bigger than Dunfermline,Falkirk ,our aim should be St Johnstone, having a good few years  in the top 6.

Isle of bute nailed it. Without a successful first team everything else is pointless. Look at us at present crowds dwindling away support decimated why? Because the product is poor. Put a team together like tom Hendrie did as an example and you have people following the team home and away, a feelgood factor returns and we start to be successful off the park also. At present we are declining and it's not reached the bottom yet. This team had no heart and nobody ready to drag it out of the mire. On Saturday we were three one Dow and I saw nothing no desire just a bunch of players going thro the motions. They don't believe in themselves and I am v fearful for this season

7 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Isle of bute nailed it. Without a successful first team everything else is pointless. Look at us at present crowds dwindling away support decimated why? Because the product is poor. Put a team together like tom Hendrie did as an example and you have people following the team home and away, a feelgood factor returns and we start to be successful off the park also. At present we are declining and it's not reached the bottom yet. This team had no heart and nobody ready to drag it out of the mire. On Saturday we were three one Dow and I saw nothing no desire just a bunch of players going thro the motions. They don't believe in themselves and I am v fearful for this season

What, exactly, do you think our crowds would be if we achieved this "success" as I believe our attendances would only marginally increase, as football has limited popularity.

It's very unlikely droves (whatever that really means) of people would regularly turn up to watch St Mirren.

Purpose - to play competitive professional football in the Scottish football league and cup competitions at the highest level attainable and to fulfil our community and business objectives.

Mission - St Mirren football club aim to be the highest ranked non city football club in Scotland.
(should aim as high as possible - Realistically - stating as a first step to be highest ranked non city club in Scotland before adjusting this to highest ranked outside of Glasgow, then highest ranked, if you see where I'm going)

Then there's those goals and objectives - no harm in setting these out to include cup wins, top 6 in top league, stability of employment, training, qualified coaches, community engagement with local boys clubs, international caps at U 21 and full level etc... lots and lots and lots of stuff to measure and improve - consistent home crowds of 4000, the 4500, then 5000...

Then setting out specific actions to make all of this happen - I'm sure someone is already on top of all of this though ;-)

Needs a bit of work ;-)

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

What, exactly, do you think our crowds would be if we achieved this "success" as I believe our attendances would only marginally increase, as football has limited popularity.

It's very unlikely droves (whatever that really means) of people would regularly turn up to watch St Mirren.

If the fitba was good enough, they'd be running coaches from bizarre, outlandish places such as Ecclefechan, Dounby and Arbroath...

33 minutes ago, scottd said:

We didn't manage 5000 home fans in our Premier days.  Visiting support tended to skew the numbers upwards.  Things are bad at the moment but the past wasn't as rosy as some would have you believe.

Whilst you are correct, what we managed in the past is irrelevant.