Our Mission at Saint Mirren is to.....Discuss.

St.Ricky

Just now, norrie82 said:

5,000 at games regardless of home fans was decent. I think we should be aiming for this achievable target again

Yes. This is perfectly realistic.

We'd need to be competing near the top of the SPL and challenging for Cups and Europe to do it but it's not a daft target at all.

Oaksoft under Lennon we at times had over 5,000 same with Hendrie. It was likely a breakdown of 3,800-4000 saints fans and away fans forming the rest. I think it's v much a possibility. Your analysis is way off suggesting wed new to be in top positions. What a walloper you are at times. Do.your research and you'll see its possible. Cmon oaky back the buds. I forgot your only on here to be a pain

5 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The clubs got to be better than it is now. More professional in everything it does, better at being the centre of the community, focused at driving up standards on and off the park and doing much more to increase the visibility and reputation of the club.

Who could take issue with this? Not me, but perhaps you could shape those into a vision that can be articulated and then objectives could be discussed.  It sounds to me that you are suggesting something like that we should be the most successful community owned and run club in Scotland. ...but please don't let me put words into your mouth.

I think reading around other posts across the forums my realistic expectations for the club I adore and now invest into monthly are as follows:

a team that can competitively  compete in the league it is in

a squad of players who give 100% every game for the badge - the fans - and the manager

a kit deal with a company that is both lucrative for the club and respectful to the fans

a facility within the club where all fans if they choose can get together for a pre or post match drink

St Mirren as an organisation behaving in a much more efficient and professional manner eg getting the basics right such as replacing letters that adorn  the front of our stand when damaged in a reasonable timescale - sorting out hall of fame boards - having a functioning tannoy system - overhaul of the catering facilities to function in a way that all customers get a decent product without the lengthy queues 

negotiating a good sponsorship deal with a company / organisation that reflects our growing or improving status in the community 

not selling out to either of the old firm - or if it is such a financial necessity - keeping the fans informed and thus fans not speculating on the bones of the deal

investing in the club academy with a view to an ongoing production line of fresh talent to be promoted into the first team squad 

having been present at the Smisa event where I listened to Gordon , David , Tony and Alex all speak eloquently I want to see a charter of the short to mid term vision released to the fans and an input of new and creative ideas coming to fruition for the benifit to the club and community 

finally to make my match day experience an enjoyable one with a team that I can be proud of and every so often gives me wonderful days like 17th March 2013 every so often

22 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Oaksoft under Lennon we at times had over 5,000 same with Hendrie. It was likely a breakdown of 3,800-4000 saints fans and away fans forming the rest. I think it's v much a possibility. Your analysis is way off suggesting wed new to be in top positions. What a walloper you are at times. Do.your research and you'll see its possible. Cmon oaky back the buds. I forgot your only on here to be a pain

Also at times under Lennon we struggled to get 3000 home fans through the gate.  Statistics are great, especially selective ones.

1 hour ago, norrie82 said:

Norrie, go f**k yourself you cheeky bastard :lol:

1 hour ago, Liverpool Bud said:

I think reading around other posts across the forums my realistic expectations for the club I adore and now invest into monthly are as follows:

a team that can competitively  compete in the league it is in

a squad of players who give 100% every game for the badge - the fans - and the manager

a kit deal with a company that is both lucrative for the club and respectful to the fans

a facility within the club where all fans if they choose can get together for a pre or post match drink

St Mirren as an organisation behaving in a much more efficient and professional manner eg getting the basics right such as replacing letters that adorn  the front of our stand when damaged in a reasonable timescale - sorting out hall of fame boards - having a functioning tannoy system - overhaul of the catering facilities to function in a way that all customers get a decent product without the lengthy queues 

negotiating a good sponsorship deal with a company / organisation that reflects our growing or improving status in the community 

not selling out to either of the old firm - or if it is such a financial necessity - keeping the fans informed and thus fans not speculating on the bones of the deal

investing in the club academy with a view to an ongoing production line of fresh talent to be promoted into the first team squad 

having been present at the Smisa event where I listened to Gordon , David , Tony and Alex all speak eloquently I want to see a charter of the short to mid term vision released to the fans and an input of new and creative ideas coming to fruition for the benifit to the club and community 

finally to make my match day experience an enjoyable one with a team that I can be proud of and every so often gives me wonderful days like 17th March 2013 every so often

great post ,agree with all you have said ,I would also just once like to see the stadium filled for the 1st time and probably only time ,because it would hopefully mean all your points had been addressed

great post ,agree with all you have said ,I would also just once like to see the stadium filled for the 1st time and probably only time ,because it would hopefully mean all your points had been addressed

Our first game at the stadium was a near sell out, we're you not there?

Who could take issue with this? Not me, but perhaps you could shape those into a vision that can be articulated and then objectives could be discussed.  It sounds to me that you are suggesting something like that we should be the most successful community owned and run club in Scotland. ...but please don't let me put words into your mouth.

That's part of it. I've got real problems putting it into words. It's just loads of wee changes in attitude, ethics, and in professionalism that together would, IMO, propel the club forward.

There is merit in arguing performances on the pitch drives support. Of course it does. The problem is sustainability. How can you ensure that the club consistently finish in the top five in Scotland, and how do you stop numbers from dwindling when raised expectations aren't met. There has to be changes off the park that ensures sustainability on the pitch. That's what I'm driving at.

8 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I get that Stuart. What I am attempting to do is to give us fans an opportunity on here to dry to divine and then define what our purpose and mission are or rather to redefine it in the current context. Having done that, it is possible to set goals or objectives, prioritise these and then be able to articulate these to the owners, managers, staff and other stakeholders.

For what it is worth, I became a St Mirren supporter, along with my 2 sons and their friends back in 1974. I saw the club as representing the largest town in Scotland, one with a "guid conceit" of itself, a hard working town with the highest savings ratio per head in the country. Football in the town was of course reinvigorated by the appointment of a charismatic young manager..now Sir  Alex Ferguson. This also suited myself, my sons and friends as it removed us from the usual west of Scotland Old Firm stuff.

The club of course changed the manager but continued to move on and up until ............the rest you know.

The point is - What is our purpose now? What is our mission as an organisation?

8 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

That's part of it. I've got real problems putting it into words. It's just loads of wee changes in attitude, ethics, and in professionalism that together would, IMO, propel the club forward.

There is merit in arguing performances on the pitch drives support. Of course it does. The problem is sustainability. How can you ensure that the club consistently finish in the top five in Scotland, and how do you stop numbers from dwindling when raised expectations aren't met. There has to be changes off the park that ensures sustainability on the pitch. That's what I'm driving at.

Yeah I see what you are doing. I just struggle to define how I'd like to see the club in a concise mission statement. My best effort would be something along the lines of doing the right things for all the right reasons.

I'm in England just now seeing examples of community work in football clubs. I don't know if it's getting coverage North of the border but on Monday I witnessed something special. A young Sunderland supporter who has a rare form of cancer was match mascot. On the 5th minute fans of both Sunderland and Everton had over a minutes applause for the lad. A collection was made, there's been club campaigns running for days, and on Monday after the match Everton FC donated the final £200k to get the lad his treatment. That's the power football can have when it does the right thing. Today I was at a other club - far smaller in size and I was talking to a few of their volunteers. One guy was telling me how the club saved his life. He was suffering from depression and had been self harming to a pretty severe degree. Someone in his family volunteered him to do some work at the time and he reckons it gave him a purpose to his life and a new focus. I love those stories but when I look at Scottish Football I don't hear anything like those stories going on.

This is the way I see Scottish football

Tier 1 - Celtic, Rangers - apart from the Sevco experience we haven't finished above either of the OF teams since the early-80's and given the way the game has changed financially I suspect we never shall again.

Tier 2 - Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs - we'll usually finish below these teams but will occasionally be above one or more of them when they are underperforming.

Tier 3 - That's us and it includes the rest of the SPFL top division and the f/t teams in the Championship - that's about 15 teams & currently we're at the bottom of that list. Realistically I expect us to be a bit of a yo-yo team - a top flight season with no relegation worries is a good season (2011/12), a Championship season where we aren't in the running for a play-off spot (last season and most probably this one too) are bad seasons. Anything in between is so-so.

A top 6 finish would have been us finishing at the top of our Tier (or thereabouts) and would have been a great achievement, I never considered missing out a disaster - there is no next level and their never has been, we're below where we should be at present but we're only 5 games into the season and it's too early to write it off as a disaster.

I have no interest in U-20 football and without writing a small novel I don't think it's currently working for Scottish football, I think it'd be better to separate youth football from the professional clubs and have some sorta draft system like they do in US sports.

I have no interest in the clubs community activities and charidee initiatives, respect to those who take time to do something but the need to publicize it is just something I find a little bit distasteful - doing something good to offset being generally odious is why the OF spend so much time trying to emphasize what they do in this area and I guess it taints it a little bit for me.

Edited by Bud the Baker

This is the way I see Scottish football

Tier 1 - Celtic, Rangers - apart from the Sevco experience we haven't finished above either of the OF teams since the early-80's and given the way the game has changed financially I suspect we never shall again.

Tier 2 - Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs - we'll usually finish below these teams but will occasionally be above one or more of them when they are underperforming.

Tier 3 - That's us and it includes the rest of the SPFL top division and the f/t teams in the Championship - that's about 15 teams & currently we're at the bottom of that list. Realistically I expect us to be a bit of a yo-yo team - a top flight season with no relegation worries is a good season (2011/12), a Championship season where we aren't in the running for a play-off spot (last season and most probably this one too) are bad seasons. Anything in between is so-so.

A top 6 finish would have been us finishing at the top of our Tier (or thereabouts) and would have been a great achievement, I never considered missing out a disaster - there is no next level and their never has been, we're below where we should be at present but we're only 5 games into the season and it's too early to write it off as a disaster.

I have no interest in U-20 football and without writing a small novel I don't think it's currently working for Scottish football, I think it'd be better to separate youth football from the professional clubs and have some sorta draft system like they do in US sports.

I have no interest in the clubs community activities and charidee initiatives, respect to those who take time to do something but the need to publicize it is just something I find a little bit distasteful - doing something good to offset being generally odious is why the OF spend so much time trying to emphasize what they do in this area and I guess it taints it a little bit for me.

I appreciate you have no interest in under 20s football or the community. I guess most fans will feel the same way. The important bit is the bit on a Saturday for them.

The thing is - like in any good business - success lies in the planning, the recruitment, the marketing, and in the efficiency of the operation. To make success on the park viable and sustainable the club have to get those back office functions working properly.

St Mirren have to become much better in everything it does. I think the community and charity bit is utterly vital. People will support a cause with absolute loyalty. It's much harder to give absolute loyalty to a business, especially when the quality of the offering at the point of sale is so utterly sub standard

19 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I appreciate you have no interest in under 20s football or the community. I guess most fans will feel the same way. The important bit is the bit on a Saturday for them.

The thing is - like in any good business - success lies in the planning, the recruitment, the marketing, and in the efficiency of the operation. To make success on the park viable and sustainable the club have to get those back office functions working properly.

St Mirren have to become much better in everything it does. I think the community and charity bit is utterly vital. People will support a cause with absolute loyalty. It's much harder to give absolute loyalty to a business, especially when the quality of the offering at the point of sale is so utterly sub standard

Empty words, just more of your "I know better than everyone else" mantra - it was drivel the first time I read it and it's still drivel.

All I want for my £20 is two teams on the park for 90-odd minutes. Success on the park is cyclical and IMO at least 50% luck, we'll get promoted sometime in the next 7 seasons and we'll probably win another major trophy in about 2040 - that'll do me if I'm still around and haven't succumbed to senility. I'm happy with a BoD who want to be running the club, if I wanted to follow (follow) a successful trophy winning c(h)lub I'd have looked slightly further afield.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Slightly off topic but relevant none the less

ive found fans of the old firm fall into two distinct categories 

1 the Neanderthal bunch who can't understand why you don't support one of the two " big clubs" and think that by virtue of the school you attended - area you lived in - job you do that pre selects you to have to support one or the other 

2 the slightly more moderate ones who have a grudging respect for those individuals who choose to follow their local team

4 hours ago, Liverpool Bud said:

Slightly off topic but relevant none the less

ive found fans of the old firm fall into two distinct categories 

1 the Neanderthal bunch who can't understand why you don't support one of the two " big clubs" and think that by virtue of the school you attended - area you lived in - job you do that pre selects you to have to support one or the other 

2 the slightly more moderate ones who have a grudging respect for those individuals who choose to follow their local team

Sad if still true as far as the first category.

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Empty words, just more of your "I know better than everyone else" mantra - it was drivel the first time I read it and it's still drivel.

All I want for my £20 is two teams on the park for 90-odd minutes. Success on the park is cyclical and IMO at least 50% luck, we'll get promoted sometime in the next 7 seasons and we'll probably win another major trophy in about 2040 - that'll do me if I'm still around and haven't succumbed to senility. I'm happy with a BoD who want to be running the club, if I wanted to follow (follow) a successful trophy winning c(h)lub I'd have looked slightly further afield.

What attracted you to the club Bud?

Just now, St.Ricky said:

What attracted you to the club Bud?

My dad and my uncle took me to see Saints play Rangers in the famous Gilshan game in the fog...........................

Lifted over the gate and seldom regretted it, supporting Saints has been far better than becoming a fully developed human being. I drag my knuckles along the ground to the tune of "Oh when the Saints". 

Even the bad times are good!

Poor old Cowdenbeath. If success is cyclical and luck they must be amongst the unluckiest in the world

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Our first game at the stadium was a near sell out, we're you not there?

of course I was there but if memory serves me right it was way short of being full ,6000 summit ,better than the 3500 we have struggled to get any home game since though

13 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Poor old Cowdenbeath. If success is cyclical and luck they must be amongst the unluckiest in the world

Going back to my Tier hypothesis Cowdenbeath would be in No. 4 (p/t sides) - success for them would be a season or two in the Championship, which they recently achieved after winning the Division 2 title, or maybe a Q/F in one of the major cup competitions.

You've got a talent, it would have been hard to pick a worse example! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bud the Baker

Going back to my Tier hypothesis Cowdenbeath would be in No. 4 (p/t sides) - success for them would be a season or two in the Championship, which they recently achieved after winning the Division 2 title, or maybe a Q/F in one of the major cup competitions.

You've got a talent, it would have been hard to pick a worse example! :rolleyes:

There are many examples that prove you wrong. Cowdenbeath are one. What keeps Cowdenbeath part time when St Mirren are full time? What's to say that if St Mirren continue to slide the two won't swap places? After all Cowdenbeath are apparently "lucky enough" not to have Rangers and Celtic a few miles down the road.

I reckon you know Im right though. You're a customer only interested in what you get for your cash. But those running a business need to have their back office sorted. For St Mirren to enjoy success - either cyclical or sustained - they need to work better with the local target audience.