Raised Disabled Platform in Main Stand

I got a letter from the club yesterday informing me that they are building a raised disabled platform in the Main Stand and therefore need to relocate some people with season tickets in the back four rows of sections M1 and M2 to a new row they have put in M4 in front of the press seats. I phoned up the ticket office today and they have moved the 4 of us who sit in row K together along to the new row in M4.

I had heard talk of a disabled platfrom being installed but didnt know it had been confirmed and would be going in the main stand, was this common knowledge?

Yeh I dont have a problem moving just wasn't aware it was happening. Sounds like work has already started.

Only slight issue for us is that there are 6 of us who sit together.. 4 in row k and 2 in the row in front. The 2 in front weren't part of the group of season tickets to be moved so we're being split up, but to be fair the woman in the ticket office said they may be able to move them next to us once all the other season tickets are moved in the back 4 rows.

1 minute ago, linwood bud said:

Just wondering and not wanting to shoot this idea down in any way, but will health and safety sign off on this?

I'm wondering if there was an emergency how do the disabled fans get out? As if it's a fire surely the lifts go off?

One of the problems was getting building consent for the platform, that would include all the required safety issues. Don't know what the rules are but i'm sure it will comply with all.

Disabled people access upper floors in buildings all the time. Yes, lifts can't generally be used in emergencies, but special stair chairs for evacuation purposes can be provided etc. Can't imagine this would have been a major issue.

Very pleased to hear that this is now progressing.

9 hours ago, Cairters_Corner said:

Brilliant news. Hopefully the club will do a diary of its construction with photos. 

Any idea when work commences?

The letter I got said we would be moved for the Falkirk game on the 1st which is the next home game so I'm assuming it has either already started or will by then at least.

Edited by irvine_buddie

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Cairters_Corner said:

Hopefully we will see work starting shortly on this. Also good to see a section of the press area being removed for another row of seats in M4, have alterations been made to the press area yet?

Less seats. Not as many turn now, nothing to report. :P

On 4 October 2016 at 11:51 PM, Cairters_Corner said:

Hopefully we will see work starting shortly on this. Also good to see a section of the press area being removed for another row of seats in M4, have alterations been made to the press area yet 

will chick youngs press seat still be there ?

Edited by thewhiteman

9 hours ago, thewhiteman said:

will chick youngs press seat still be there ?

Judging by the Chico's comments on the radio yesterday, I think he's worked out he won't be getting a padded seat from the new regime.

Story here from the Renfrewshire Greens backing the raised platform. All good PR:

https://renfrewshiregreens.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/greens-praise-smisa-funding/

Sarah Anderson, candidate for the Scottish Greens at the upcoming council elections, said: “As a disabled activist and a member of the supporters’ association, I was thrilled to see that the first vote was to ensure disabled members of our club and community would be able to better enjoy our sport. The members voted in vast numbers disabled people will soon benefit from enhanced facilities as a result of fans owning their own club. This not only demonstrates how vital fan ownership is for raising issues which matter to fans, but the sheer numbers of Buddies who voted displays how important St. Mirren is to the local community. I’m looking forward to seeing more votes and many more benefits for members as a result of fan ownership.”

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear of the platform for our wheelchair users. I have just heard that sadly one of our fans with a disability has passed away. His name was Jimmy who walked with the aid of a zimmer frame. A big man with a big heart. Will also miss chatting to you at the bingo on a Saturday night about st mirren. Your mum and everyone who new you will miss you.

Been meaning to ask, why is there a need for an extra row of seats for the fans who are being moved? There's hardly a shortage of empty seats around the stadium (and the amount will be growing on a weekly basis) and it surely wouldn't have been too difficult to come to an arrangement with the fans who are being asked to make way.

On 02/11/2016 at 1:57 PM, Stu said:

Been meaning to ask, why is there a need for an extra row of seats for the fans who are being moved? There's hardly a shortage of empty seats around the stadium (and the amount will be growing on a weekly basis) and it surely wouldn't have been too difficult to come to an arrangement with the fans who are being asked to make way.

Space was available and seats were available so a local company with a Saints fan in charge supplied the labour to install the seats. Everyones a winner.

• 2 weeks later...