Fans Losing Interest

I'm 27... A season ticket holder. I've attended 1.5 games this season.

The worse thing about it is that I've travelled everywhere this season. Today I went to The Rock Bowling Club. There was 10 of us from the supporters bus that spent the whole afternoon there. (I sneaked in for injury time).

My old man spent years convincing me to go to the games, and eventually I went, and I was hooked. Begged him to take me to the away days at Arbroath, Dingwall... Watching Coughlin....

Now, I only go because I work full time, run a business on the side with my wife to be next month and a Saturday is the only day I get catch up with my friends and enjoy myself. Got called a d*ck from a member of the FC for doing just that today...

Are fans losing interest....? Without a doubt. I've got to the stage where I couldn't give two f'ks.

Do I love St Mirren yes, but I find the football boring, much rather watch the scores come in, eye on the coupon and a bit of banter.

I've not been to a game for over two years.
Last one was the one each draw with Morton, or was it nothing each? Cannae mind. But the point being we looked fking awful, we just looked so amateurish. That was under Tommy Craig and it hasn't got any better since.
I want to go back but I cannot justify the dollars for watching pure turgid pish.

I'll keep going and I feel that you need to go thro the bad times so that you can appreciate the good times. The football at present is absolutely shocking. Naismith doesn't know how to pass to a saints player, Hutton looks off the pace,and the rest are all poor. No pace or imagination at all. I remember under gus and Danny winning at typecastle, Tannadice and easter road etc and thinking this is brilliant I need to enjoy these moments. We can't find a way past Dumbarton or Ayr two part time teams at present. We sit bottom of the league and we could be isolated there if we lose next week and again to a now resurgent Falkirk on October 1. Can you really see is beating either of them? No. Maybe dunfermline but certainly not Falkirk and that's v sad. I'd imagine a likely return is a point next sat then a defeat the following. It's not good enough and if saints do slide further then around the end of October the board will need to act as our club cannot function in.league 1. Ralston won't be funded on gate of 1200

I'm 27... A season ticket holder. I've attended 1.5 games this season.

The worse thing about it is that I've travelled everywhere this season. Today I went to The Rock Bowling Club. There was 10 of us from the supporters bus that spent the whole afternoon there. (I sneaked in for injury time).

My old man spent years convincing me to go to the games, and eventually I went, and I was hooked. Begged him to take me to the away days at Arbroath, Dingwall... Watching Coughlin....

Now, I only go because I work full time, run a business on the side with my wife to be next month and a Saturday is the only day I get catch up with my friends and enjoy myself. Got called a d*ck from a member of the FC for doing just that today...

Are fans losing interest....? Without a doubt. I've got to the stage where I couldn't give two f'ks.

Do I love St Mirren yes, but I find the football boring, much rather watch the scores come in, eye on the coupon and a bit of banter.

10 of you make the trip to Dumbarton and stay in the bowling club. Why did you not just stay in Paisley. Thought about chucking it a few times unfortuantly my emotional side to the club wins me over. Been going since 1967 so seen it all before. The good times will come back so stick with it Tam. Rae should be shown the door clearly he can't fix the problem.

I  swithered about going yesterday. I could easily have decided not to, but, against my better judgement, opted to turn up.

I can entirely appreciate why folk chuck it. I pretty much did so when Craig was the manager, and going to games was absolutely soul destroying.  I fear that I'm close to doing likewise before too long.

Does anyone genuinely look forward to going to games these days? I certainly don't. To be honest, I reckon the last time I did (2012/13 cup campaign aside) was Lennon's second season - pretty sure it was his second. We were playing some exciting stuff back then. We were competitive, and the players looked as though they were enjoying playing.

It seems clear to me that Rae cannot turn this round. As such, I'll struggle to justify going along when I have other things to be doing with my precious weekends.

StuD is right, the new regime has to find ways to make a day out at the fitba more appealing, but the fare getting served up on the park is the most critical ingredient.

Since the weather looked half decent I decided to explore a few wee places on the East Coast this weekend instead of attending an away game. So glad I did. Having a great weekend so far without the fitba. This could get habit forming.
I'll still reluctantly attend Home games but have little enthusiasm as the hoofball is pish to watch.

With the new board coming in, signings which at the time looked pretty decent on paper and a manager at the time seemed to know what he was doing I really thought that we would be top four at least. Now? We have lurched from one disaster after another. And right now I just don't see where our next win is coming from. I've got to the point where any enthusiasm has just about evaporated and simply going to home games out of habit more than anything else. I'm probably looking forward to my forthcoming trips with Scotland to Slovakia and Wembley than watching Saints. I would never ditch my season ticket but Im finding it harder to motivate myself to get in the car and head for Greenhill Road, something that I thought was unthinkable.

If you lose interest and stop going to games then that's your choice and your entitled to it, personally i don't like what i'm watching at the moment but i know that staying away from our ground on matchdays will not help the situation and in fact would make the problem worse. Those who come out publicly and state "i'm not going until things are better" must surely realise that they are making it more difficult for things to get better - go to the games and moan or boo, packing it in will not help.

If you lose interest and stop going to games then that's your choice and your entitled to it, personally i don't like what i'm watching at the moment but i know that staying away from our ground on matchdays will not help the situation and in fact would make the problem worse. Those who come out publicly and state "i'm not going until things are better" must surely realise that they are making it more difficult for things to get better - go to the games and moan or boo, packing it in will not help.

Or..
Forcing the board into making a decision what with falling gates and all.

Fans vote with their feet.

13 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Yeah I agree , now isn't the time to chuck it . 

Your football team is for life , not just for the good times .

I will always go as i have done for 30 ish years but i just wish we had some sort of excitement to watch . I would not be half as scunnered if the football was good but results were not going our way but sadly the last few seasons have been more of a chore than actually looking forward to going.

33 minutes ago, sunlounger said:

Or..
Forcing the board into making a decision what with falling gates and all.

Fans vote with their feet.

I don't think the board need to see the attendance dropping to know we are piss poor at the moment, hopefully they are speaking to the manager about performances and will act accordingly after he answers them.

I will still go to home games but life is too short to watch the pish being served up every weekend. Before yesterday I had only missed Livi away due to holidays. We have been in decline since the club was put up for sale but I still toddled along to many away games besides all home games. But for now I am having time off for good behaviour.

As i have said previously to be able to give a fair and objective judgement on the manager's endeavours you need to wait until the first round of fixtures is complete, so three games to go on that one.

i feel the board need to come out publicly and tell us what their plan is to totally re-organise the club. Because it patently needs a complete culture change across every dept to enable progress across the piece. Yes Tony F has stated some aims like winning the league within five years, getting the stadium full etc... But that isnt telling us HOW these aims will be achieved!

the board should be in a position at the AGM to set out the all encompassing plan on a two year rolling basis. That for me is an absolute minimum if you want to keep fans who are now shareholders, soon to become owners engaged. Like many on here I have been involved in big & small businesses who saw they needed a root and branch transfomation to achieve their aims. Its about setting out the milestones anyone can see and measure progress against.

SMART objectives for everything the club is trying to do, a new communication process set up with fans, supporters, shareholders and the community, where the flow is up, or back to the club more than it is coming down, a process that is clear, transparent and effective so all the stakeholders can see it is progressing. It is without doubt a major project, but none the less one our club needs to establish. Get the people in and involved who have done it before, who can signpost the path, invest in every employee and volunteer to realise the objectives and aims, empower them to challenge and set new objectives themselves in customer service, quality control etc.. And ensure they are able to challenge what needs to change.

if was as simple as sacking the manager we would have qualified for the champions league by now! 

And if you stay behind at the final whistle to abuse the manager.. Really? Get a grip of yourself.

if you abuse the manager with sectarian insults, please f**k off now to a club that deserves you, you arent welcome at this one, and i hope anyone hearing it from our lot makes that known.

Can I just say that although checking coupons with your mates in the pub on a Saturday is great,discussions on a Monday over the goals section at work etc is fine.But nothing replicates following your team on a Saturday.Good results or bad we are st.mirren fans a rare breed, granted severely long suffering but we are who we are.I say this as a st.mirren fan from Thurso who works offshore and followed the team since 1978.I would love to be there every week.
When I do go (10 games last season) I leave Thurso at 5.30am on the Celtic supporters bus get to parkhead at 11.30 then over to Paisley for a couple of pints before the game.A taxi at 4.45pm to get back to parkhead to get the bus and get back to Thurso at 11.30pm it costs over £100 travel and tickets etc.and doesn't include substantial "refreshment"money.
This is my story thousands of st.mirren fans on here all have great levels of similar commitment to the team so I would say support (cause that is what they need more than ever now) and hang in there for those great days when they come again.

Can I just say that although checking coupons with your mates in the pub on a Saturday is great,discussions on a Monday over the goals section at work etc is fine.But nothing replicates following your team on a Saturday.Good results or bad we are st.mirren fans a rare breed, granted severely long suffering but we are who we are.I say this as a st.mirren fan from Thurso who works offshore and followed the team since 1978.I would love to be there every week.
When I do go (10 games last season) I leave Thurso at 5.30am on the Celtic supporters bus get to parkhead at 11.30 then over to Paisley for a couple of pints before the game.A taxi at 4.45pm to get back to parkhead to get the bus and get back to Thurso at 11.30pm it costs over £100 travel and tickets etc.and doesn't include substantial "refreshment"money.
This is my story thousands of st.mirren fans on here all have great levels of similar commitment to the team so I would say support (cause that is what they need more than ever now) and hang in there for those great days when they come again.

I haven't supported any of the decisions the club has made over the last three years. Infact the decisions have gotten progressively worse as time goes on.

How do I show this?

Oh by continuing to support...

Nah its not for me.

I commend your unfaltering dedication though.

19 hours ago, smcc said:

Maybe I have not got the brains to follow your argument. Can you please explain how, if you consider a couple of youth players making first team appearances a bonus, you think we would be able to sell any of our youth players. I can't think of any clubs who are likely to offer us big transfer fees for young players who have not appeared regularly in the first team.

I've had this same argument .. how can we expect any sort of plan if we see the youth set up as totally separate from the club?

if it has no link and a very slim chance of ever producing any players then just switch the lights off 

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM, antrin said:

Thanks PM.

Actually, I did enjoy standing in the North Bank before it became all seated 

These days a seat is welcome.

Re swearing.  I am not a jolly hockey sticks type of guy but see no need for the constant torrent of swearing from what is, I  believe;  is coming from a small number of people l.

I don't think this improves the atmosphere and is something that we, as fans, can do to build our family and community identity.

Glad you agree in general on the other points. Would also like to say that there have been some great ideas and summing up of our present position by others on this thread.

Things may not be wonderful on the playing side but much is making progress in the wider sphere regarding the club.

cant disagree with most of the points made on this thread. The fans are losing interest the next stage will be a reduction in pay at the gate supporters then next season it will be a reduction in season ticket sales. Then the fans are lost forever.

the fans are not shareholders or owners. Its SMISA and GLS. If the fans had any influence then Rae would be gone. I don't see him turning it around very much in the same vein as Ian Murray could not do it.

the new board will wait for the cheap option and wait for Rae to resign so we have to endure this for the time being. The only hope is that the damage has not been done and we are in league 1.

38 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

cant disagree with most of the points made on this thread. The fans are losing interest the next stage will be a reduction in pay at the gate supporters then next season it will be a reduction in season ticket sales. Then the fans are lost forever.

the fans are not shareholders or owners. Its SMISA and GLS. If the fans had any influence then Rae would be gone. I don't see him turning it around very much in the same vein as Ian Murray could not do it.

the new board will wait for the cheap option and wait for Rae to resign so we have to endure this for the time being. The only hope is that the damage has not been done and we are in league 1.

Scratch cheek , absorb , scratch head :lol: