Alex Rae: sacked!

ulysses

It was time to move on as it was quite clear it wasn't working or ever going to work under Rae. The club had to make a quick decision and move on.

If John Hughes is available then I would like to see him at St Mirren Park. His strong, positive, inclusive personality would reflect the type of club we want to be under the new fan ownership model of SMISA.

Gordon Scott did say to me after the Morton game that he was a big fan of Gus as he felt he saw year on year improvement while Gus was at the club so it wouldn't surprise me if we appointed him.

Time to move on and try and salvage what has been a desperately poor start to the season.

We really have to get one of these managerial appointments right sometime soon as the last few years have seen some spectacularly poor appointments.

1 minute ago, div said:

Kenny McDowall might be a left field name. Was a bit of a disaster at Rangers but the circumstances there were unusual to say the least.

Has a great track record with younger players. A few years ago he'd have been a hugely popular appointment.

I'd say Gus will be favourite. Him and Gordon get on well and he inherited more or less the same situation last time and within 2 years we were promoted.

For all I really liked Gus personally I'd rather not go back the way, you don't really want a new manager coming in where some fans already have it in for him.

Yeah, not for me either to be honest though I wouldn't be dead against it. I agree with Dickson (I know, I know) that we should be looking at someone who will completely envelope themselves in all aspects of the club and not just the fist team. We know that's not Gus.

3 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Are the bigger clubs in England touting John Hughes? I must have missed that :rolleyes:

No, you are the one touting Kenny as being this brilliant and successful manager and get he is still managing in the Irish league. Hughes is available and may get an offer from down South.  Anyway, the main question here us why such a successful manager like Kenny would come to a club like ours?

Nobody's mentioned Gary Holt yet. He was on the radio yesterday, he's looking for a job and on the face of it did pretty well at Falkirk.

Is John Hughes getting so many mentions due to the style of football his team usually plays? It would certainly beat the wretched keich of hoofing the ball forward and hoping for the best that we've been watching for a while now.

I wonder if Ben Gordon is having a Homer Simpson D'oh moment?

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

No, you are the one touting Kenny as being this brilliant and successful manager and get he is still managing in the Irish league. Hughes is available and may get an offer from down South.  Anyway, the main question here us why such a successful manager like Kenny would come to a club like ours?

I said in my first post on this thread that he probably wouldn't anymore. He's enjoying his time operating at a club with a turnover less than half that of St Mirren, mixing it with the big boys in the Europa League and holding their own. 

He may have moved last year. Doubt he would now

6 minutes ago, div said:

I'd say Gus will be favourite. Him and Gordon get on well and he inherited more or less the same situation last time and within 2 years we were promoted.

For all I really liked Gus personally I'd rather not go back the way, you don't really want a new manager coming in where some fans already have it in for him.

We're in a completely different place now than when Gus was bagged. I'd have him back to steady the ship with Goody in the Andy role of ageing gunslinger !

34 minutes ago, Drew said:

Gus would be an absolutely hellish appointment.

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Hughes would definitely be my first choice. Oh, and to think that I laughed when ICT sighed him....

To say Gus would be a hellish appointment when he has one of the best track records as any St Mirren manager is off the mark in my opinion. He took us from a position similar to where we currently find ourselves to the SPL in a couple of seasons and kept us there. We desperately need someone of that standard and experience. However he would be devisive amongst our supporters.

As for Yogi, there's a reason you laughed when he was appointed at ICT, I laughed also. He would be a risk, a huge risk. 

I switched on "off the ball" a few weeks ago and was really impressed with the guy speaking. Very intelligent, engaging, passionate about the game, inspiring almost. He just seemed like somebody who would be successful in whatever he did. Later on, I found out it was Jamie Fullarton.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's the man.

6 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Surely a new manager is better than a previous one ?

i just can't get excited about him coming back ... and I don't think the fans generally would be 

Would he be "coming back" ??

It's like You  / me going to a company 10 years later - It's all changed!

Look at him as the "ex Queens Park manager" not as the ex Saints manager!

Just now, thepaisleypanda said:

Would he be "coming back" ??

It's like You  / me going to a company 10 years later - It's all changed!

Look at him as the "ex Queens Park manager" not as the ex Saints manager!

I can look at him as the ex Queens manager ... but the fact remains that I just wouldn't get excited about him being appointed 

I'd still support him if he did .. I just wouldn't celebrate the appointment <_<

I too was impressed with Fullarton and also when yogi was on sportsound/off the ball. McDowell has no management experience and I believe he himself said he was a coach and not a manager. And our u20 are doing ok without him. Gus for me is a step backwards but he did have a successful but extremely boring time with us. Jack Ross is interesting but must be considered a real gamble and I do not think that's what we need just now. If I had to choose it would probably be yogi as I can see him galvanising not just the team but also the club.

Let's not kid ourselves here.  The majority were looking to get rid of Gus at the time and in my opinion rightly so. 

I never, ever thought I would say this but reckon Yogi would be the right appointment.  He's always positive and believe this would make it's way to the players we currently have. The team is a bit imbalanced in midfield but this squad of players should not be fighting relegation.  

Yogi for me,

10 minutes ago, Kendo said:

To say Gus would be a hellish appointment when he has one of the best track records as any St Mirren manager is off the mark in my opinion. He took us from a position similar to where we currently find ourselves to the SPL in a couple of seasons and kept us there. We desperately need someone of that standard and experience. However he would be devisive amongst our supporters.

As for Yogi, there's a reason you laughed when he was appointed at ICT, I laughed also. He would be a risk, a huge risk. 

Gus, there he is again.

OMFG

Seems he is held in more reverence than Alex Ferguson ffs.

Divisive all right.

For someone who had his high tide mark at Fir park best part of a decade ago, wtf is it about him on this forum, seriously ?!