Alex Rae: sacked!

ulysses

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I too was impressed with Fullarton and also when yogi was on sportsound/off the ball. McDowell has no management experience and I believe he himself said he was a coach and not a manager. And our u20 are doing ok without him. Gus for me is a step backwards but he did have a successful but extremely boring time with us. Jack Ross is interesting but must be considered a real gamble and I do not think that's what we need just now. If I had to choose it would probably be yogi as I can see him galvanising not just the team but also the club.

Either of those two would be a good appointment for me. 

Fullarton has the quailities/contacts/enthusiasm and Yogi had been round the block and knows the score but has had some negatives 

either would do me though 

I am beginning to spot a theme. One of our most level-headed, sensible and influential contributors has spoken his mind.

Our last two managers have bitten the dust within a few days of receiving condemnation on this forum from Mr Zo. They were dead men walking from then on.

7 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Gus, there he is again.

OMFG

Seems he is held in more reverence than Alex Ferguson ffs.

Divisive all right.

For someone who had his high tide mark at Fir park best part of a decade ago, wtf is it about him on this forum, seriously ?!

And if I remember correctly did he not have to go away early that day cause his father was ill? 

To be honest any appointment will be a gamble as Rae has left his mark. I don't know what any manager will do to improve this clusterf*ck of a season given the tools, (no pun intended), at his disposal. Unless GS can loosen the purse strings we'll still be bouncing along. Hopefully the bounce will be slightly higher though.

Gus?

If GLS thinks that 4th spot is an impossible task with the current squad and a new gaffer then Gus would be a good appointment til the end of the season. I'd be confident of turning things round enough with him to keep us in the division. 

If he believes the right gaffer can still achieve a 4th place finish then I'd be looking elsewhere. 

Guest TPAFKATS

I can't warm to Fullarton due to how he treated the club when he was a player.
Gus, no thanks.
Hughes, not sure he would want the gig. It's only Sept so there will be a dozen lower league jobs coming up in England over the next few weeks.

Lets get behind McManus over the next few games and see how it goes.

I'm undecided, I like Gus, he is one of our most successful managers.  He knows what it takes to make a team well organised and tough to beat which is what we've badly lacked in the last 3 years.  He's had plenty of experience at the lower levels now so he could possibly identify a few gems.

I was impressed with what Hughes did at ICT.  He got his team playing good football but that takes a bit of time to develop.  At this moment we don't have time, we need someone who can improve results and performances right away.

Despite Mixu having an absolute shocker at Dundee Utd, you would like to think he would learn from his mistakes.  He has good experience including a spell as international manager not to mention the fine job he did with our youths.  He got Kilmarnock playing some great football - again this takes time and good players. 

2 hours ago, TediousTom said:

This is becoming a regular occurence

The next appointment is crucial......something about the froth in my urine tells me the next one will be a good one.

Anyway I am impressed by the decisive action of oor Mr Scott.  Hanging this failing nonsense out any longer would ony have deepened the damage to Paisley's best ever sporting club.  

Well done Gordy Scott.

From the names I'm hearing you might be dissapointed with that .

Guest TPAFKATS
I can't warm to Fullarton due to how he treated the club when he was a player.
Gus, no thanks.
Hughes, not sure he would want the gig. It's only Sept so there will be a dozen lower league jobs coming up in England over the next few weeks.

Lets get behind McManus over the next few games and see how it goes.

Meant to comment on Pressley as well. Not sure how he gets such good press, he's been a f**kin disaster as a manager

1 hour ago, El Gingero said:

The usual suspects will get their names in the frame.

Stephen Aitken
Jimmy Calderwood
Barry Smith
Mixu
Yogi Hughes
Fullarton

Wonder if a left field name will get the gig.

Major appointment though.

You have 2 out of the six right .

33 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Liability ? What happened at Bolton ?

If you can use Google you'll find some allegations and rumours that I'm not going to repeat. The official line that was quoted in the press was that reserve and youth team players didn't like his training methods. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

2 hours ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Hope the people that were desperate for him to get the chop are happy.

If memory serves me correctly (speculation) When Kilmarnock and Saints were looking for managers at the same time, Danny Lennon was interviewed by both clubs but Mixu was considered also for Saints. I'm pretty sure Scott's preferred candidate was Mixu but the rest of the board opted for Danny. Can't help but think Scott might eventually get his man.

GLS quit the board the day before Gus got booted so that's unlikely to happen.

1 hour ago, eastlandssaint said:

Outside bet - Steven Pressley

Pressley, for some reason, sees himself as being above Scottish football. He wasn't interested in the Dundee United job last season when he was out of work so won't touch us. Aside from the fact he is an utter cocksocket I have no idea why he has such a high opinion of his managerial abilities as he has achieved f**k all with three different clubs - unless relegation counts as an achievement.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Now's not the time to gamble on Jack Ross IMHO. 

Agreed. If you take into consideration Alloa being relegated wasn't really his fault as he inherited someone else's mess, the clamour for him is based on two or three months of work at Alloa. They've been great in that time, however it's not really long enough to say whether or not he's a good manager - although no doubt folk will claim he was the brains behind Murray at Dumbarton.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

If Gus gets the gig, I'm cancelling my direct debit!

:P

While I know you re joking, I can see a lot of "rage quits" with direct debits from folks if Gus was given the job. I think it would be a very divisive move. I'd be against it too. Aside from how it ended, it's a decade on from when he turned us around last time. If he had achieved that with, say, Falkirk rather than ourselves would folk want him appointed? I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

I switched on "off the ball" a few weeks ago and was really impressed with the guy speaking. Very intelligent, engaging, passionate about the game, inspiring almost. He just seemed like somebody who would be successful in whatever he did. Later on, I found out it was Jamie Fullarton.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's the man.

He was at one of our home games earlier this season taking notes - either Hibs or Queen of the South. Will certainly be touted by the guy at The Sun who mentioned him the last two times the job was up for grabs.

On the basis from what I've seen of us this season (wasn't there yesterday) it's the right move. Aside from the shite results and league position, there has been absolutely no indications that Rae knows how to turn it round, no glimmers of hope you can cling on to. Rae's time in charge is looking similar to John Brown at Dundee - came in, acted sergeant major for a bit, got a reaction but was screwed when it came to starting over for the new season.

Apologies for the post with a ridiculous number of quotes of other posts!

1 hour ago, northendsaint said:

I,m disappointed because if you sack your manager it means your team is not doing well.I,m at a loss to where we go from here as the fans choice appears to be John Hughes.He left Caley because his playing budget was cut and i dont think he would come to work with what we have.

The last three years have been the worse i have experienced as a Saints fan and the next appointment has to be the correct one.The players really have to look at themselves also as they are the only ones who can dictate whats happening on the park.Finally i plead to all Saints fans to come out and support their team starting with this Saturday against Dunfermline.Your support is required more than ever.

I agree with every part of what northendsaint has stated above. I do not know who we would get in as Manager but I would not be in favour of John "Yogi" Hughes..Gordon Scott, SMISA members and the others on the board have acted in the best interests of our beloved St.Mirren and with haste, I congratulate them. I despise unemployment in any form, but both AR and DF were simply not up to the job. The players we have need to take a good long hard look at themselves, they must know they have under performed and very much need to improve..

1 minute ago, Stuart Dickson said:

If you can use Google you'll find some allegations and rumours that I'm not going to repeat. The official line the club took that was quoted in the press was that reserve and youth team players didn't like his training methods. 

You called him a liability.  Prove it.  Put up or shut up.