Alex Rae: sacked!

ulysses

Just now, Stuart Dickson said:

If you can use Google you'll find some allegations and rumours that I'm not going to repeat. The official line the club took that was quoted in the press was that reserve and youth team players didn't like his training methods. 

I thought they had a good rate of getting youth into the first team at Bolton ? And arsenal bought one of their kids recently too? 

Not sure about any rumours but Freedman  seemed to trust him with his youth set up at three championship clubs so he must have something about him.? 

Hey , if he has a bad name in the game he won't get the job .. people would know the score with the these things I would expect.

on the face of it he seems to have done the graft but who knows 

Things had become horribly stale under Gus. We were going absolutely nowhere.

Exactly, things were very sour when he left and he said some ridiculous things to alienate the fans. Gus coming back would be a complete disaster. And everyone seems to assume he'd jump at the chance to come back too. He didn't exactly leave under an air of positivity...

1 minute ago, STGBuddy said:

I thought they had a good rate of getting youth into the first team at Bolton ? And arsenal bought one of their kids recently too? 

Not sure about any rumours but Freedman  seemed to trust him with his youth set up at three championship clubs so he must have something about him.? 

Hey , if he has a bad name in the game he won't get the job .. people would know the score with the these things I would expect.

on the face of it he seems to have done the graft but who knows 

Not Fullerton. Freedman hired him. Lennon "mutually consented" him. 

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Def gone. Just announced on sportscene . Tommo couldn't keep the smile off his face. Good riddence to bad rubbish.

Just think if Rae had kept on giving Thommo 90 minutes he might have scored 1 more league goal last season and topped his goal celebration against QOTS. Severely hope we don't turn to The Hawk.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

He was at one of our home games earlier this season taking notes - either Hibs or Queen of the South.

Interesting. Fullarton may well have had informal contact with the Chairman already then.

He's run an academy in Spain for many years so fits the bill in that regard. Would be pretty much a rookie though as a manager.

This job has become something of a poisoned chalice, given the turnover in recent times.

Any prospective candidate will have that in the back of his mind, but will also see an opportunity to turn round an ailing team and increase his stock.

I think we need someone with experience, but not with St Mirren related baggage. So that counts out all former managers (though I would consider interviewing Fergie:o).

God knows this is a tough call for Gordon Scott to make. I'll try my very best not to be too bent out of shape if MacPherson gets the gig, but it will feel like a huge missed opportunity. 

Hughes seems the best fit to me, but there is absolutely nothing to say that he'd accept the gig. I understand that he has a bit of a soft spot for Saints, though, so rule nothing out....

This job has become something of a poisoned chalice, given the turnover in recent times.

Any prospective candidate will have that in the back of his mind, but will also see an opportunity to turn round an ailing team and increase his stock.

A manager hasn't increased his stock at St Mirren since the 80s, sadly. We're not just a poisoned chalice because of the recent sackings: we also effectively end managers' careers, pretty much without fail.

I genuinely wonder what it is.

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

A manager hasn't increased his stock at St Mirren since the 80s, sadly. We're not just a poisoned chalice because of the recent sackings: we also effectively end managers' careers, pretty much without fail.

I think they do that pretty much under their own steam.

3 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Aye, that's very true. Surely that trend has to end at some point, though.

I hope the board take their time and appoint the right manager this time. But it has to be someone with at least a proven track record. I would like Terry Butcher, or someone with his calibre to come in. There are lots of managers who would love the chance to turn things around at St Mirren and it would look good on a CV. Malky Mackay could resurrect his  career maybe. Brendan Rodgers coming to Scotland I think was great for Scottish football. I know it was to Celtic the biggest club but Scotland is a small country. They may already know who is coming in before they sacked Rae but I hope it is the right man this time. Someone to bring the buzz back to St Mirren Park on a Saturday. Please Please board get it right this time.

The last thing we need is Fullarton. Bombed big time at Notts County..Ignoring fatty's ramblings about Hughes reign at Hibs, Yogi knows this league very well by virtue of the fact he along with Coyle won the title with Falkirk. Won a Scottish Cup on a shoestring with ICT to boot. No compo to be paid as he is out of work. Whats not to like? Yogi for me. And spare me all the crap about McPherson. That for me is a backward step.