New Official St Mirren Website

shull

2 hours ago, div said:

The site is actually updated very regularly compared to a lot of other sites of clubs our size.

hold on div the official site is poor ,news is slow at best ,nothing changes for days on end very often,my example of last week is typical ,our u20 were top of league and playing hibs AT HOME no less and nothing was put onto site till Thursday afternoon when the game was played on Tuesday ,its seems like other things going on at club that nobody can actually be bothered to do anything

36 minutes ago, saltcoatsbuddie said:

hold on div the official site is poor ,news is slow at best ,nothing changes for days on end very often,my example of last week is typical ,our u20 were top of league and playing hibs AT HOME no less and nothing was put onto site till Thursday afternoon when the game was played on Tuesday ,its seems like other things going on at club that nobody can actually be bothered to do anything

No it doesn't.

You only have to look through the past news to see that your statement is blatantly untrue.

There was a statement on the 8th of September regarding the Hibs game.

I don't think it's the website updating that's at fault..............................

U20 Side: Next Match

September 8, 2016 By admin
SPFL - Feature

The St Mirren Under-20 side are back in action again next midweek when they play host to their counterparts from Hibernian. The SPFL Development League fixture between the young Buddies and Hibees on Tuesday, 13th September will take place at the Paisley 2021 Stadium and it will kick-off at 6:00pm. For more news on the SPFL [...]

Folk can claim they get their news elsewhere but when it comes to factual stuff (folk definitely signing as opposed to rumours, which a club website obviously can't report) chances are the news will have originated there - Sunday night's sackings being a case in point.

I agree it could do with more interviews etc with players and the manager although I see there's been a few more pieces with members of the playing squad this season. There'd be plenty more on the site if the club invested properly in the media/communications/PR side of the club but, like many areas, it's woefully under resourced.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Norrie has knocked his pan in for washers on behalf of the club for years. A smashing guy who deserves credit for keeping things ticking over against tough odds at times.

Absolutely, including paying for stuff out of his own pocket and having to work from his house because the club refused to turn on the heating for the people in the office.

16 minutes ago, John Gotti said:

Absolutely, including paying for stuff out of his own pocket and having to work from his house because the club refused to turn on the heating for the people in the office.

Whilst I'd never decry the excellent work Norrie does, surely not having the expense and hassle of travelling to work is a benefit?

4 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Whilst I'd never decry the excellent work Norrie does, surely not having the expense and hassle of travelling to work is a benefit?

Working from home, heating his house when he'd otherwise be at work, using his broadband connection and telephone line etc., would somewhat offset the bus fare saved in getting to work, no?

Do you ever think before you post, Stuart?

Working from home, heating his house when he'd otherwise be at work, using his broadband connection and telephone line etc., would somewhat offset the bus fare saved in getting to work, no?

Of course I do. Unless Norrie lives in a mansion or in a house with no roof and no walls the daily cost of heating a home should be around 70p during the spring and autumn to around £6.00 on the harshest of winter days. He's unlikely to be working sitting in a bath and although he'd be using electricity to power a laptop it's hardly going to cost a fortune. I don't know how much his bus fare is for his return journey - my trip to work on the buses cost me £8 per day minimum last year.

Now I love a good story that shows Gilmour up as a tit, but most days I'd happily work from home. I'd hardly think this was a hardship.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

While I usually stay away from anything that Stuart poisons wouldn't the house be heated, the broadband be there etc anyway?

On that note, i'm out of this before Stuart takes it over completely, like most threads he enters. 

15 hours ago, saltcoatsbuddie said:

That's actually a problem with the design of the current site.

If you look at the current site the latest 4 articles are actually hidden inside the image scroller at the top of the homepage. That in itself is not particularly unusual but it's not immediately obvious that there are other articles there other than the first one that loads.

Articles only appear in the obvious list underneath the slideshow once they become the 5th newest article.

I believe when you were looking for that info on the 20s game it was probably buried inside that slideshow and you didn't see it.

It's a problem we have tried to address in the new design.

11 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The point I was making is working from home should be elective and not something that is required because your employer won't provide a suitable work environment and also to highlight how little the club valued the website.

20 hours ago, saltcoatsbuddie said:

Didn't you read the title. 

Your right about one thing, there are other things going on.  New ownership, new chairmen, new board, new manager to come and in case you hadn't noticed a new website. 

Can you explain how you know this if you haven't visited the official site in the last 10 years?

Pedant alert - peak:- the pointed top of a mountain or ridge

peek:- to look or glance quickly or furtively

Not sure if it was phone auto correcting ( to something I didn't mean to spell that way ) or my fault but stand corrected on the 'peek'

As for the question ? Yes , I base my reply on the numerous posters stating such information and found that to be my own experience as well.

The club media platforms can be viewed 24/7 and therefore should be kept updated daily or perhaps quicker after games/events/news/injury updates/hospitality news etc. People are viewing the Internet at all times of the day and I found the club to be slower on Twitter than B&W.

I've emailed the club 3 times in last twelve months, got a reply on one occasion and people often rant on here regarding similar issues.

The one thing in my opinion St Mirren have always been poor at is communication with the fans.That has not changed and examples are often given on here by various posters.

So a combination of people's experiences as well as my own are enough to keep me well away from anything official regarding Saints.

B&W army serves our needs well and offers the very same external links.

Why go anywhere else :)

10 hours ago, John Gotti said:

The point I was making is working from home should be elective and not something that is required because your employer won't provide a suitable work environment and also to highlight how little the club valued the website.

Far be it for me to labour the point in defence of the old board but I don't buy into that at all. Many small businesses and start ups don't have offices these days and all their staff work from home. My cousin works for a major global pharma company and travels the globe selling their products - working from home. There is no UK office at his company. The company I work for has several office across Europe but the engineers aren't expected to come in, instead they work from home and only come in to collect parts or to get their appraisals. I wouldn't say it shows how little those businesses value their contributions. It simply makes logistical sense.

BTW, I think Norrie is a great guy. For many years he was the only person working within the club that responded to any of my queries, suggestions or complaints and he often managed to get things done off the back of that. The guy is seriously undervalued in terms of the work he does - no question about that at all. But this thing about working from home.....come of it. That's much more a perk than it is onerous. 

11 hours ago, whydowebother said:

The one thing in my opinion St Mirren have always been poor at is communication with the fans.That has not changed and examples are often given on here by various posters.

So a combination of people's experiences as well as my own are enough to keep me well away from anything official regarding Saints.

B&W army serves our needs well and offers the very same external links.

Why go anywhere else :)

I'm very happy that B&W Army is serving a valuable purpose and it will always continue to be here.

One of the reasons Gordon (and indeed Stewart because the current project was actually started by him) wanted a new official club website was to try and improve the communication between the fans and the club.

I'm hopeful that Gordon is going to be a regular contributor on the official website going forward with at least a monthly update from him talking about some of the stuff that has been going on that perhaps the fans wouldn't know about.

From being in and around the club a lot over the last few weeks there is an raft of stuff happening that I genuinely had no idea about. Everyone down there is run off their feet!

Communication is always work in progress, can always be improved. Making small incremental improvements is the name of the game here, there won't be an enormous change overnight.

1 hour ago, rebella15 said:

They have been run off their feet for years but there are numerous retired guys that could help but it's been like the secret service, no outside help required! still the same 

I think ideally the club would like to be able to sustain more full time members of staff to help generate more revenue and run things a lot more smoothly but it's a chicken and egg situation. At some point there needs to be a bit of speculation to accumulate and I do think in time that will happen.

There are undoubtedly one off projects that could be run or manned by volunteers as you suggest but at the end of the day the club is a business not a charity, and they should be able to sustain full time members of staff and pay them the going rate.

For too long, in my opinion, we've been throwing every last cent we have at the first team squad at the expense of absolutely everything else. Sometimes the longer term view requires some more strategic thinking. It's hard to say that when the pressure is to invest completely in the first team, but I think longer term it would be more beneficial.

What we could really do with is selling a player for proper money.  I'm still holding out hope that John McGinn could be that man. If Hibs sold him for £3m we'd be entitled to £1m of that.

Just think of the difference money like that could make.

2 hours ago, div said:

I think ideally the club would like to be able to sustain more full time members of staff to help generate more revenue and run things a lot more smoothly but it's a chicken and egg situation. At some point there needs to be a bit of speculation to accumulate and I do think in time that will happen.

There are undoubtedly one off projects that could be run or manned by volunteers as you suggest but at the end of the day the club is a business not a charity, and they should be able to sustain full time members of staff and pay them the going rate.

For too long, in my opinion, we've been throwing every last cent we have at the first team squad at the expense of absolutely everything else. Sometimes the longer term view requires some more strategic thinking. It's hard to say that when the pressure is to invest completely in the first team, but I think longer term it would be more beneficial.

What we could really do with is selling a player for proper money.  I'm still holding out hope that John McGinn could be that man. If Hibs sold him for £3m we'd be entitled to £1m of that.

Just think of the difference money like that could make.

The first line of your post is the sort of thing I'd like to see the extra cash from SMiSA spent on as it should, if done correctly, pay for itself. However, I have a feeling that would be outvoted in favour of more exciting ideas.

The first line of your post is the sort of thing I'd like to see the extra cash from SMiSA spent on as it should, if done correctly, pay for itself. However, I have a feeling that would be outvoted in favour of more exciting ideas.

Problem with salaries is that they are recurring costs. Again I don't think this is really what the SMISA money is going to go on, it will be one off expenses, IMHO!!

Problem with salaries is that they are recurring costs. Again I don't think this is really what the SMISA money is going to go on, it will be one off expenses, IMHO!!

It doesn't have to be. I don't know what kind of posts Stu was talking about but if they were revenue generating then those posts could pay for itself.

In juvenile football were beginning to see some full time posts at the bigger clubs and there's some creative use of facilities to allow some volunteering their services to the club to be renumerated in other ways.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, FTOF said:

No it doesn't.

You only have to look through the past news to see that your statement is blatantly untrue.

There was a statement on the 8th of September regarding the Hibs game.

I don't think it's the website updating that's at fault..............................

U20 Side: Next Match

September 8, 2016 By admin
SPFL - Feature

The St Mirren Under-20 side are back in action again next midweek when they play host to their counterparts from Hibernian. The SPFL Development League fixture between the young Buddies and Hibees on Tuesday, 13th September will take place at the Paisley 2021 Stadium and it will kick-off at 6:00pm. For more news on the SPFL [...]

that's not what I said ,it was the result of this game that took 2 days to go onto official site and that was the 1st thing on site since alex rae post match comments on sat night after game ,,so nearly 5 days with nothing new

that's not what I said ,it was the result of this game that took 2 days to go onto official site and that was the 1st thing on site since alex rae post match comments on sat night after game ,,so nearly 5 days with nothing new

Fair enough bud. What I would say is that today there is 1 guy who updates the website and writes the programme. Unfortunately he doesn't work 7 days a week.

Not many people do!