Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

13 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Generally the reasons people have for disliking McPherson are idiotic.

His apparent dislike of youth policy, the cup final result and apparent general dislike of the fans have all been shown to be nonsense and outwith his control. He got us results that's the only thing that matters.

However he isn't someone who should be first choice for the current role. But I'd still have him over John 'play one style of football no matter the result' Hughes.

I'm not sure who should be manager, but we should be looking for someone who is going to get first team results, everything else is a bonus, even if that means the 'youth academy' continues to 'produce' little to nothing, and we play what is apparently 'dull' football.

What a load of pish. 

The reason most people don't want Gus back is because the football was f**king dire. Is that idiotic? Not wanting to sit through shit fest after shit fest? 

Away and shite 

Gus's football was absolutely dire to watch some people have short memories,His record wasn't great at all he kept us up woopy do and Danny's is a total manipulation of stats and figures.Fine we won a cup but let's not forget what happened after that.

Were we not the lowest scoring league team in Britain one season and nearly again the next when MacPherson was in charge.

His persistent picking of the likes of Potter,Smith to name two,Indicated he like people that kissed ass.

He had a total disdain for supporters and didn't really buy into St Mirren the club it was just a job to him.

1 hour ago, Simon_Towel said:

What a load of pish. 

The reason most people don't want Gus back is because the football was f**king dire. Is that idiotic? Not wanting to sit through shit fest after shit fest? 

Away and shite 

Right now shitfest and defensive soliditity would be much much better than right now losing goals as if its a fashion statement. Im not for bringing gus back but cmon name me someone better defensively

Gus's football was absolutely dire to watch some people have short memories,His record wasn't great at all he kept us up woopy do and Danny's is a total manipulation of stats and figures.Fine we won a cup but let's not forget what happened after that.

Were we not the lowest scoring league team in Britain one season and nearly again the next when MacPherson was in charge.

His persistent picking of the likes of Potter,Smith to name two,Indicated he like people that kissed ass.

He had a total disdain for supporters and didn't really buy into St Mirren the club it was just a job to him.

Really?

I hate to burst your bubble... But it WAS a job for him. At least he did his best and didn't suck up for the hell of it.

As for the defensive stuff... By now and given the attempts of numerous successors over the years I would have hoped people might realise he was doing what needed to be done to keep us in the top flight having got us there.

His team's football was less defensive than Alex Smiths or Alex Millers yet I don't see them coping the same flak!

You want a fan in charge... Someone who buys into our club.... Why not appoint our General manager... He would die for our club... How did that work out both times?

Give me someone who treats it as just a job any day of the week as long as they do it well.

Klopp isn't a Liverpool fan but always talks about the club in a positive manner.

Guardiola the same, Koeman same the list goes on.

Not once did I mention a "fan" as you put it getting the job.

Gus must have "got" the job a he did it and achieved more than many managers at Saints.

You might be happy with an underachieving sychophantic manager as long as you feel the love... Personally, the manager can call me a wanker every day of the week as long as he is doing his job.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Just because someone was sacked doesn't mean he wasn't a success. Indeed, you say Gus was a success in two of his jobs - well he was sacked from one of them! 

Was there not some strange things happening at QoS at that time? I'm sure the Chairman claimed the English consortium that were trying to buy the club threatened him when he refused to sell.

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Of course he wasn't. I mean pish gaffers lead teams like Ipswich to top 5 finishes in the Premiership whilst winning manager of the year in England and nail down jobs at places like Southampton.

Agreed. However, he's been plagued with accusations of 'personal' problems the last few years, so can't see him returning to football now.

Wouldn't mind jack Ross after last night's showing alloa were well organised and if could bring goody back as assistant then then every ergometer round get behind him appears the support is split on Hughes gus and davies need a manager full support can get behind coys

4 hours ago, John Gotti said:
Was there not some strange things happening at QoS at that time? I'm sure the Chairman claimed the English consortium that were trying to buy the club threatened him when he refused to sell.

By "strange things" do you mean him signing John Potter ;)

The takeover stuff was a bit crazy (at least one convicted criminal involved) but only lasted a week or so and was towards the end of the season, so can't really be blamed for poor form. The Queens chairman at the time was a bit eccentric in a Boris Johnson kind of way - right down to the hair.

The job I was referring to that Gus was sacked from was ours as he had a one year rolling contract with us. His contract ended at Queens and wasn't renewed.

Edited by Stu

Gus Gus Gus Gus Gus !
Jeesuz people !
Gus was negative with a few fluke results, lets be honest here.
As a defender by nature Gus teams were set up not to lose. Fine. We did though lose, lots. Especially sitting back in game after game holding out for that point only to lose a late goal. It was predictable and dire.
On the plus , yup, when Gus's hand was forced he instructed attack, we got two notable victories, one at Fir park. One at Grangemouth. Now if his mind set had been different in his league campaigns he might have been remembered more positively. His crowning glory, we do not entertain, go to the cinema. Sorry, that's where his colours were broadcast, as if he had to at all , as if his team set up wasn't give away enough. I mean instructing midfielders not to cross the half way line ! Boooooo. Let's move on, Gus had a stint. He earned his shot. He is history now for us , surely ?!?!?!

7 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

Generally the reasons people have for disliking McPherson are idiotic.

His apparent dislike of youth policy, the cup final result and apparent general dislike of the fans have all been shown to be nonsense and outwith his control.

Could you possibly point us in the direction of where they have been shown to be nonsense and out with his control? I must have missed that.

I would burn my season ticket if Gus came back but I know he will not be as the next manager of St Mirren (as I mentioned on a previous post) will be that of Dave Challinor.

The bookies seemed to have missed him out of though, some of the other names appearing today are:

Bobby Williamson 9/4

Philippe Troussier 7/1

Ricky Sbragia 8/1

Gary Brabin 12/1

Chris Kinnear 20/1

Gavin Esler 1000/1

Edited by Flareybob

4 minutes ago, Flareybob said:

I would burn my season ticket if Gus came back but I know he will not be as the next manager of St Mirren (as I mentioned on a previous post) will be that of Dave Challinor.

The bookies seemed to have missed him out of though, some of the other names appearing today are:

Bobby Williamson 9/4

Philippe Troussier 7/1

Ricky Sbragia 8/1

Gary Brabin 12/1

Chris Kinnear 20/1

Gavin Esler 1000/1

I reckon David Icke is a decent outside bet. What do you reckon, FB?

Gus Gus Gus Gus Gus !
Jeesuz people !
Gus was negative with a few fluke results, lets be honest here.
As a defender by nature Gus teams were set up not to lose. Fine. We did though lose, lots. Especially sitting back in game after game holding out for that point only to lose a late goal. It was predictable and dire.
On the plus , yup, when Gus's hand was forced he instructed attack, we got two notable victories, one at Fir park. One at Grangemouth. Now if his mind set had been different in his league campaigns he might have been remembered more positively. His crowning glory, we do not entertain, go to the cinema. Sorry, that's where his colours were broadcast, as if he had to at all , as if his team set up wasn't give away enough. I mean instructing midfielders not to cross the half way line ! Boooooo. Let's move on, Gus had a stint. He earned his shot. He is history now for us , surely ?!?!?!

The cinema quote was and still is wrongly attributed to Gus but hey... Why pass up another stick to beat him with.

When he left, the time was right.

His achievements are being totally ignored by people with a personal dislike of the man.

Years later, I don't believe he would be exactly the same.

That said, he would not be my choice for the post... Billy Davies got my vote ahead of Rae the last time and I stand by that.

But if Gus was appointed... and I do not expect that to happen... I would get fully behind him.

I liked the guy as a bloke to chat with and he was amiable enough as far as I could tell. I didn't like his 'style' with the team though. So heh hoh. So it goes. Fwiw I think you could get to the cinema with a meerkat deal for about three films for the price of a gane at St mirren.

It'll be an interesting one no matter what happens. From the names mentioned;

Don't want to see McPherson, just taking a step back for me.

Nutall, could be fantastic, could be disastrous, seems like a big risk to take at the moment.

Hughes seems to fit the bill of what the club wants, likes to play attractive football and, hugely important for me, seems to be happy to put trust in young players.

Then there's the "interesting" choices...

Burley, if he's half the manager he was in his pre-Scotland days, then appointing him would be a no-brainer. Bags of experience and success at a very high level, but hasn't been in the game for a few years, which worries me slightly.

Davies is in almost the same position, but he has the advantage of a strong link to the club.

I wouldn't be devastated if any of the 3 of them were appointed, like I said it'll be interesting either way.

19 hours ago, Loyal Supporter said:

GUS , does great at keeping clean sheets or just losing a goal . That only takes you so far . Walter Smith completely out thought him when he came down from the stand at Hampden and took over from Ally McCoist in the Cup Final . They were down to 9 men so simple 2 spare men stay wide DONT come inside and its a straight 9 v 9 . Why keep going the merry go round route ? Same as John Hughes , if he's not good enough for Inverness he's not good enough for us ! Terry Butcher built that team NOT John Hughes so if it's not Billy Davies then give a chance to someone new and young 

And above is why we have fickle supporters, bottom of championship and plummeting.

Gus has a record miles ahead of any of the last 5 managers, He took as far as the top league.... eh what do you want Europe. challenge Tic... Get Real

Hughes not good enough.... well I would take his failure any day right now. Scottish Cup and Europe - FFS

Someone young  You mean like Murray, Rae and Teale...

Honestly- St Mirren are not a big club... we have no claim to be top 6, top league..... Bigger Clubs than us have faltered. Pars to name one...

But are they going sack their manager because they are not going to get bpromoted?

Rae had to go..... he was not interested in Saints... that's what I want, some passion, some identity , and some ideas. Gus or Billy D .

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

And above is why we have fickle supporters, bottom of championship and plummeting.

Gus has a record miles ahead of any of the last 5 managers, He took as far as the top league.... eh what do you want Europe. challenge Tic... Get Real

Hughes not good enough.... well I would take his failure any day right now. Scottish Cup and Europe - FFS

Someone young  You mean like Murray, Rae and Teale...

Honestly- St Mirren are not a big club... we have no claim to be top 6, top league..... Bigger Clubs than us have faltered. Pars to name one...

But are they going sack their manager because they are not going to get bpromoted?

Rae had to go..... he was not interested in Saints... that's what I want, some passion, some identity , and some ideas. Gus or Billy D .

I agreed with everything until the point where you mentioned that Dunfermline are a bigger club than us.

Think the two clubs we have most in common with in Scotland in terms of size would be Dunfermline and Falkirk.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I agreed with everything until the point where you mentioned that Dunfermline are a bigger club than us.

Think the two clubs we have most in common with in Scotland in terms of size would be Dunfermline and Falkirk.

Ok historically they are but ok probably balanced with them being in freefall for 20 years.

Falkirk is another great example, they must be so frustrated not being up, and lets be honest we only hung on to Prem status by or fingernails on many occasions and we had Hearts and Gretna situations

I have always wanted to league of 18. As things stand we are No 22 in Scotland, we are in the bottom Half. This must be addressed