Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

And above is why we have fickle supporters, bottom of championship and plummeting.

Gus has a record miles ahead of any of the last 5 managers, He took as far as the top league.... eh what do you want Europe. challenge Tic... Get Real

Hughes not good enough.... well I would take his failure any day right now. Scottish Cup and Europe - FFS

Someone young  You mean like Murray, Rae and Teale...

Honestly- St Mirren are not a big club... we have no claim to be top 6, top league..... Bigger Clubs than us have faltered. Pars to name one...

But are they going sack their manager because they are not going to get bpromoted?

Rae had to go..... he was not interested in Saints... that's what I want, some passion, some identity , and some ideas. Gus or Billy D .

Agree with most of what you say mate. Ambition nothing wrong with that though. We can average the same gates as the fakes who do well . Higher up the table you finish the more money you get helping budgets. There are teams making the top six no bigger than our selves. I'm sure your old enough to remember the days we were in Europe. Still we have a very long road to go before we can make the top league never mind Europe. Hope Gordon Scott picks Davis he is the man who can take us forward bringing exciting times back making football a pleasure to go too which has been missing for each and everyone of us.

Rae got the bullet for pish football, unbalanced squad and having no Plan B. But besides all that I reckon his removal will help bring about a complete new energy to the Club. Rae was not appointed by the current BOD and they were left with him - more like a continuation than a takeover. Now we have a new Chairman who is appointing his own man which for me anyway brings about a freshness we have not seen at the Club for years. The candidates appear a lot stronger than those who may have applied in the past and I detect a growing sense of optimism with the fans. Although we will all have our own thoughts as to who we want I reckon whoever is appointed as manager will get more support from the fans than possibly anyone has over the last few years. Things are looking up at last.

21 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Agree with most of what you say mate. Ambition nothing wrong with that though. We can average the same gates as the fakes who do well . Higher up the table you finish the more money you get helping budgets. There are teams making the top six no bigger than our selves. I'm sure your old enough to remember the days we were in Europe. Still we have a very long road to go before we can make the top league never mind Europe. Hope Gordon Scott picks Davis he is the man who can take us forward bringing exciting times back making football a pleasure to go too which has been missing for each and everyone of us.

IOB, yes I can remember them well but that was another era , but yes its comforting Saints have a past. But in my 40 years as a Saints fan only 3 of those was Saints in top 6, and that was over 33 years ago..

Hope Gordon picks a man, who he feels will make a difference, impressed he is talking to Davies, because whatever the viewpoint on here about his fallouts he managed high level championship , for clubs with far bigger pasts than us, far bigger gates and budgets and far far bigger budgets.

Can Billy D really get us back. Of course he can.....

As Alloa showed last night, you don't need to be big to be dangerous.... Saints are so frustrating because its the fact that we keep giving it away. Listening to the chairman talk about Jack Ross must fill him with pride

Why oh why do we buy crap and why do we ship out talent. Are we self destruct? Yes we are...... 

I blame Scottish Football collapse mainly at door of that prat Murray with his big ideas and borrowed money, and I blame the fall of Saints on the old BOD, spending peanuts, getting monkeys and expecting success, and also creating a poisoned feel at Saints

9 hours ago, Svard svard said:

Klopp isn't a Liverpool fan but always talks about the club in a positive manner.

Guardiola the same, Koeman same the list goes on.

Not once did I mention a "fan" as you put it getting the job.

It's easy to talk about Liverpool in a positive manner. Or Borussia Dortmund. Or Barcelona, Bayern Munich, etc.

I imagine their chat wouldn't be quite so buoyant after a few months in Paisley!!

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

The cinema quote was and still is wrongly attributed to Gus but hey... Why pass up another stick to beat him with.

When he left, the time was right.

His achievements are being totally ignored by people with a personal dislike of the man.

Years later, I don't believe he would be exactly the same.

That said, he would not be my choice for the post... Billy Davies got my vote ahead of Rae the last time and I stand by that.

But if Gus was appointed... and I do not expect that to happen... I would get fully behind him.

I don't have a personal dislike for Gus (that would just be silly). I do know, however, that it was during his tenure that I gave up my season ticket, so utterly weary I was of the style of football he generally adopted.

There was the odd highlight, of course, but latterly, they didn't do enough to fire my enthusiasm. I agree with you that it was the right time for him to leave. Similarly, I don't think that now is the right time for him to return, if any time would be (for me, there would be no such time).

On 9/19/2016 at 10:18 PM, Drew said:

You have to wonder about the quality of the enquiries that were fired in within hours of Rae's departure. Folk literally sitting refreshing Twitter etc, waiting for managers getting bagged? Bizarre.

And others posting on social media forums. Bizarre indeed Drew.

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

Maybe the poll should start again as some more potentially good candidates have appeared who are not on the original list eg Billy Davies, George Burley, et al ?

Or the high calibre ones that are on the "other" list.:wink: 

At the end of the day, sod it. Blank out the experience since March 2013 and let's go forward with some simple positive pressing on and off the park. This is a genuine new era. This is a springboard hopefully to enthusiasm and some passion. The old tired bod has gone, understandably the team suffered as a consequence. Time will tell but I just want to look forward to attending St mitten matches. That doesn't have to be top six in top league. Just get out in games on the front foot and get some belief back.

4 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

At the end of the day, sod it. Blank out the experience since March 2013 and let's go forward with some simple positive pressing on and off the park. This is a genuine new era. This is a springboard hopefully to enthusiasm and some passion. The old tired bod has gone, understandably the team suffered as a consequence. Time will tell but I just want to look forward to attending St mitten matches. That doesn't have to be top six in top league. Just get out in games on the front foot and get some belief back.

Only if they're better than St.Mirren matches.

Lets not kid ourselves, the last 3 years have shown just how far a team can fall and there is two leagues below us...

What priority does a new manager have..... he cant buy his way out.

Are players playing so badly because they are rubbish or because they are being asked to play a way they cant?

Some examples- Webster- Sure he is not the player he was 10 years ago but is he that bad now?

Naismith-Played well before injury, has he lost it now

Mallon-  Showed great ability last two years surely playing out of position.

Clarkson- Again Forward or Midfielder..... he cant be both?

Also Shankland, Gallacher, Sutton can we not find a combo that works

Need Morgan back. need Langfield shot and then we could be on way up.....

I generally really liked Gus MacPherson when he was manager.

The season we won the league was generally excellent. We won the Challenge Cup as well and only a disappointing performance at Gretna stopped us making the semi finals of the Scottish Cup.

Gus did just about enough to then keep us in the top flight for the next 5 seasons and we got to a Scottish Cup semi and a League Cup final under his tenure.

It was hardly exciting but it was effective.

That all said and done, he did have a budget to play with that was light years ahead of what we have now. I remember someone on good authority tell me that at one point we were paying £5K a week on goalkeepers across Chris Smith, Mark Howard and Paul Gallagher.

He's done really well at Queens Park since then but the nagging doubt I would have about Gus is that right from day one he'd have no honeymoon period at all with some of the fans.

It wouldn't be an exciting appointment at all, and unless he got results from the off it would be starting with some negativity and that would be a real shame!

So for those reasons, I wouldn't like Gus to return to the club personally.

If we could get a Billy Davies or a Yogi Hughes I think it sparks some excitment. Sure it might not work out, every appointment is a risk, but surely any manager worth his salt would at least be able to keep us in the Championship and thats first and foremost the immediate priority. Neither of those two big names would struggle with that???

I'm hoping for one of those two. Davies would be my number one choice now given that he seems to be up for it. Hughes my next preference.

The season we won the league was generally excellent. We won the Challenge Cup as well and only a disappointing performance at Gretna stopped us making the semi finals of the Scottish Cup.

Gus did just about enough to then keep us in the top flight for the next 5 seasons and we got to a Scottish Cup semi and a League Cup final under his tenure.

That all said and done, he did have a budget to play with that was light years ahead of what we have now. I remember someone on good authority tell me that at one point we were paying £5K a week on goalkeepers across Chris Smith, Mark Howard and Paul Gallagher.

He's done really well at Queens Park since then but the nagging doubt I would have about Gus is that right from day one he'd have no honeymoon period at all with some of the fans.

It wouldn't be an exciting appointment at all, and unless he got results from the off it would be starting with some negativity and that would be a real shame!

If we could get a Billy Davies or a Yogi Hughes I think it sparks some excitment. Sure it might not work out, every appointment is a risk, but surely any manager worth his salt would at least be able to keep us in the Championship and thats first and foremost the immediate priority. Neither of those two big names would struggle with that???

I'm hoping for one of those two. Davies would be my number one choice now given that he seems to be up for it. Hughes my next preference.

Yup, by and large the body o'the kirk would agree. Amen

31 minutes ago, div said:

"good authority"  lol

19 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

so where is Gardner speirs,and what he doing,and what has he been doing last 5 years,and how did he end up leaving queens park?and why is nobody interested in him Stuart??

When he left QP, he went to Rangers for a bit working in their youth academy. He joined East Kilbride last year as Assistant Manager but I'm not sure if he's still there

so where is Gardner speirs,and what he doing,and what has he been doing last 5 years,and how did he end up leaving queens park?and why is nobody interested in him Stuart??

He left Queens Park in 2013 after 5 years in charge after they were relegated back to League Two. MacPherson replaced him. Recently he was helping out at East Kilbride in the Lowland League and was Assistant Manager when EKFC lost 2-0 to Celtic in the Scottish Cup earlier this year.

I don't know if clubs have been interested in him or not. At that level of the game a part time manager job would be more of a hobby than a career and it would have to fit around working life. Many Junior clubs also pay more than League One and League Two clubs.

I'd like to see Speirsy back at the club.

1 hour ago, paul torfason said:

Plus Hughes, Davies and most of the other applicants.

1 hour ago, SuperSaints 12 said:

When he left QP, he went to Rangers for a bit working in their youth academy. He joined East Kilbride last year as Assistant Manager but I'm not sure if he's still there

As far as I am aware he is head of the Academy at Queens Park.

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'm wondering, given some of the names mentioned, we might be thinking of a director of football model, with a younger head coach working underneath them?

Just another salary to pay. I don't think that a club operating at our level really needs or can sustain that model.