Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

4 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

f**k off - no it wasn't. And I went to a hell of a lot of matches in the seasons where him and Eric Black ruled the roost. It was turgid pish most weeks despite the big money signings.

It's ok, he just made it up. :lol:

Just now, faraway saint said:

It's ok, he just made it up. :lol:

He must have done. I sat through some of that garbage. My sons were both getting free tickets from their schools back then so we'd go along to watch Motherwell, there was also a number of games where the gate money was donated to local charities. We went along to watch and by f**k was it bad. For a side that was pissing money left, right and centre signing big profile players, and a Chairman determined to attract new fans, the style of football throughout both guys tenures was utterly gash. Davies was worse than Black IMO because, as I said elsewhere, he signed his brother John and his cousin John Spencer in and paid them both big salaries "taking care" of them. 

Davies is a big name manager, and might be good at St Mirren but don't let someone like IoBS fool anyone about the quality of the football that was played at Fir Park during that period. Motherwell only started to turn on the style when Butcher took over the club in administration and brought through kids like McFadden, Pearson and Hammill. 

5 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

He must have done. I sat through some of that garbage. My sons were both getting free tickets from their schools back then so we'd go along to watch Motherwell, there was also a number of games where the gate money was donated to local charities. We went along to watch and by f**k was it bad. For a side that was pissing money left, right and centre signing big profile players, and a Chairman determined to attract new fans, the style of football throughout both guys tenures was utterly gash. Davies was worse than Black IMO because, as I said elsewhere, he signed his brother John and his cousin John Spencer in and paid them both big salaries "taking care" of them. 

Davies is a big name manager, and might be good at St Mirren but don't let someone like IoBS fool anyone about the quality of the football that was played at Fir Park during that period. Motherwell only started to turn on the style when Butcher took over the club in administration and brought through kids like McFadden, Pearson and Hammill. 

:lol:

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:50 PM, pod said:

Lambert available. :whistle

30 minutes ago, Gunni Thorfason said:

I have noticed no one has mentioned our old 87 Scottish cup teenage starlet for the job am I being to optimistic?

What, the one above.

2 years ago ICT "bossed" us...they were looking good and sadly we weren't

Yogi done a good job up there...

The one thing he seems to have is Camaraderie which also seems to be lacking in our dressing room ( not that i know but it shows on the park)

the one thing that strikes me is that yogi has praised us for many years,maybe now the time is right for him to be manager

thats my choice (as has been for a few weeks now)

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, I don't think Hughes is very good, his grammar and grasp of the English language is pretty shit and one of our previous managers got slaughtered for this seemingly critical part of a mangers skill set. :rolleyes:

I'll get back on all the other names being mentioned as I'm way behind in posting on this thread. 

For a start, you missed the 'e' at the end of shit...

Yogi speaks Scots and does it well.  Others who were "teased" were doing English, badly.

i have always liked Hughes, but doubt he'd want to come to Paisley, despite him speaking kindly of the place and team

Davies...  Would be good, but short-lived, I fear.

However, a punter's opinion is irrelevant.

Edited by antrin

8 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

2 years ago ICT "bossed" us...they were looking good and sadly we weren't

Yogi done a good job up there...

The one thing he seems to have is Camaraderie which also seems to be lacking in our dressing room ( not that i know but it shows on the park)

the one thing that strikes me is that yogi has praised us for many years,maybe now the time is right for him to be manager

thats my choice (as has been for a few weeks now)

Yip ,like most of the posts on this thread, a lot of "could be/might be/hope so" which I hope the new board have a more structured approach.

Suppose any managerial appointment is a gamble, we, I'm afraid, can't afford to gamble. 

1 minute ago, antrin said:

For a start, you missed the 'e' at the end of shit...

Yogi speaks Scots and does it well.  Others who were "teased" we're doing English, badly.

i have always liked Hughes, but doubt he'd want to come to Paisley, despite him speaking kindly of the place and team

Davies...  Would be good, but short-lived, I fear.

However, a punter's opinion is irrelevant.

Aye, in your heid maybe. :1eye

Scots? :lol:

13 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

The cinema quote was and still is wrongly attributed to Gus but hey... Why pass up another stick to beat him with.

When he left, the time was right.

His achievements are being totally ignored by people with a personal dislike of the man.

Years later, I don't believe he would be exactly the same.

That said, he would not be my choice for the post... Billy Davies got my vote ahead of Rae the last time and I stand by that.

But if Gus was appointed... and I do not expect that to happen... I would get fully behind him.

I had a lot of time for Gus and think it is unfair to remember him for the League Cup Final defeat, however one of his mantras was that success for St Mirren is finishing 11th / avoiding relegation. After the last few seasons many might be tempted to say he has been proven correct. Much of his time at the club took place before we moved to Greenhill Road and cleared our historic debts. Perhaps he would revise his estimation of success upwards a little given 11th now =  relegation play off and the new stadium, training ground and no bank debt means we are in a better position to compete in the SPL than when Gus first took us there when we were still at Love Street.

We should be aspiring to be in amongst the St Johnstones, Motherwells, Partick Thistles in the SPL.

I'm sure Gus was often trying to manage the support's expectations when he spoke about success being avoiding relegation but the downside was he didn't sell the club very well in the media. I would prefer someone with a more positive public outlook on the club and trying to raise the standards and expectation levels inside the club.

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I had a lot of time for Gus and think it is unfair to remember him for the League Cup Final defeat, however one of his mantras was that success for St Mirren is finishing 11th / avoiding relegation. After the last few seasons many might be tempted to say he has been proven correct. Much of his time at the club took place before we moved to Greenhill Road and cleared our historic debts. Perhaps he would revise his estimation of success upwards a little given 11th now =  relegation play off and the new stadium, training ground and no bank debt means we are in a better position to compete in the SPL than when Gus first took us there when we were still at Love Street.

We should be aspiring to be in amongst the St Johnstones, Motherwells, Partick Thistles in the SPL.

I'm sure Gus was often trying to manage the support's expectations when he spoke about success being avoiding relegation but the downside was he didn't sell the club very well in the media. I would prefer someone with a more positive public outlook on the club and trying to raise the standards and expectation levels inside the club.

I agree with all you say about Gus and his pronouncements.  I respect the job he did, given the limitations at the time.

i also feel his time has passed.

Danny did that and not finishing in the top six as hoped was used as a big stick to beat him with.

Gus started from a very low point and looked for realistic incremental improvements... which for the most part he achieved.

13 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Danny did that and not finishing in the top six as hoped was used as a big stick to beat him with.

Gus started from a very low point and looked for realistic incremental improvements... which for the most part he achieved.

I'm not sure there was ever a massive improvement under Gus once we got into the SPL either in terms of league position (11th or 10th in 4 seasons) or points totals:

2006/07: 11th Place; 8 league wins, 36 points, goal difference -20

2007/08: 10th Place; 10 league wins, 41 points, goal difference -28 [The season Gretna went into administration during the season].

2008/09: 11th Place; 9 league wins, 37 points, goal difference -19 (we finished on the same points as ICT who were relegated but had a better goal difference).

2009/10: 10th Place; 7 league wins, 34 points, goal difference -13.

If we exclude finishing streets ahead of Gretna (13 points for the whole season after their points deduction), in 2007 we finished 4 points ahead of Dunfermline, in 2009 we finished level on points with Inverness and in 2010 we finished 3 points ahead of Falkirk.

18 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'm not sure there was ever a massive improvement under Gus once we got into the SPL either in terms of league position (11th or 10th in 4 seasons) or points totals:

2006/07: 11th Place; 8 league wins, 36 points, goal difference -20

2007/08: 10th Place; 10 league wins, 41 points, goal difference -28 [The season Gretna went into administration during the season].

2008/09: 11th Place; 9 league wins, 37 points, goal difference -19 (we finished on the same points as ICT who were relegated but had a better goal difference).

2009/10: 10th Place; 7 league wins, 34 points, goal difference -13.

If we exclude finishing streets ahead of Gretna (13 points for the whole season after their points deduction), in 2007 we finished 4 points ahead of Dunfermline, in 2009 we finished level on points with Inverness and in 2010 we finished 3 points ahead of Falkirk.

That's fair, it was pretty much a bottom feeding turgid fair, with a wee escape fixture. Most notable fixtures like Motherwell and Falkirk, and those less so , like having to avoid a three goal defeat at home on the last day to Hamilton and managing to limit them to two, scraping a lifeline season after season. Your stats back that view.  Not great at all. We don't need any negative navigation, we need re launched.

St Mirren deserve a positive, ambitious platform. It needs a personality and a fresh approach.

I'm beat with this now, let's see what we get. 

Don't really want Saints associated with a dinosaur dressing-room bully type manager, but when all's said and done how important really is the manager? I recall research from Holland I think  that showed that overwhelmingly management changes have little overall bearing on results.  This is entirely logical, surely  it is improvements to the playing squad that counts.  Having said that, I believe the Manager can have an impact on the mood around the support when things are tough and the appointment decisions of the board have been consistently disappointing in that regard in recent years so more than ever perhaps we really need a positive  appointment this time , tempered with pragmatism and realism.   Gus had that in spades and has been vindicated like it or not.  While most fans probably don't care who the manager is there is a small minority who just wouldn't accept going back so I expect a new name and the next to-be-ex St Mirren manager will not be a former Manager.