Jump to content

Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

Recommended Posts

We'd pretty much flatlined under Gus. The line that many of us trotted out was that he had taken us as far as he could - which was generally avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth.

In fairness to Gus, it wasn't an ideal position to be in. Having hit a high point of securing a promotion, there wasn't a great deal to aim for other than consolidation.... and the possibility of winning a cup competition. Of course, that is where he ultimately fell down - at the final fence. More damaging than that alone was the manner in which we came up short. That day is branded in the psyche of many Saints supporters.

As I've often said since, a part of me died that afternoon. A part of me that lived and breathed St Mirren. The resignation and apathy kicked in, as, ultimately, the season ticket departed. I don't blame Gus for that, as such, but it is impossible not to closely associate him with it.

I have a mate who now finds himself in a similar position. I'm talking about a hardcore supporter who has followed the club since the days of Fergies Furys. He intends to give up his ST, and, to put it bluntly, has fallen out of love with Saints. That is deeply saddening. I fear it might be too late to see a reverse of his position, but I strongly suspect that it most certainly wouldn't happen if Gus were to be appointed.

The club as a whole is at a fork in the road. Yes, we need to salvage yet another clusterf**k of a season, but we also need to see a demonstration of the fresh start that we have all been crying out for since Gilmour et al announced that they were selling up. The club has been on the crash table for a few years now.  The next move is absolutely critical. I think Gordon Scott is all too aware of this, and for that reason, I don't think we'll see Gus MacPherson back in the dressing room.

 

Edited by Drew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barney63 said:

Don't really want Saints associated with a dinosaur dressing-room bully type manager, but when all's said and done how important really is the manager? I recall research from Holland I think  that showed that overwhelmingly management changes have little overall bearing on results.  This is entirely logical, surely  it is improvements to the playing squad that counts.  Having said that, I believe the Manager can have an impact on the mood around the support when things are tough and the appointment decisions of the board have been consistently disappointing in that regard in recent years so more than ever perhaps we really need a positive  appointment this time , tempered with pragmatism and realism.   Gus had that in spades and has been vindicated like it or not.  While most fans probably don't care who the manager is there is a small minority who just wouldn't accept going back so I expect a new name and the next to-be-ex St Mirren manager will not be a former Manager.

This research is the opposite of the opinion of many fans on here. :lol:

In fact it's ALL down to the manager, seemingly. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This research is the opposite of the opinion of many fans on here. :lol:

In fact it's ALL down to the manager, seemingly. :P

The Players could probably manage the Team among themselves .

Unfortunately the useless fannies are more interested in their ..........

JESSIE HAIR, BOOTS AND BEARDS.

Pampered Overpaid Prats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew said:

We'd pretty much flatlined under Gus. The line that many of us trotted out was that he had taken us as far as he could - which was generally avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth.

In fairness to Gus, it wasn't an ideal position to be in. Having hit a high point of securing a promotion, there wasn't a great deal to aim for other than consolidation.... and the possibility of winning a cup competition. Of course, that is where he ultimately fell down - at the final fence. More damaging than that alone was the manner in which we came up short. That day is branded in the psyche of many Saints supporters.

As I've often said since, a part of me died that afternoon. A part of me that lived and breathed St Mirren. The resignation and apathy kicked in, as, ultimately, the season ticket departed. I don't blame Gus for that, as such, but it is impossible not to closely associate him with it.

I have a mate who now finds himself in a similar position. I'm talking about a hardcore supporter who has followed the club since the days of Fergies Furys. He intends to give up his ST, and, to put it bluntly, has fallen out of love with Saints. That is deeply saddening. I fear it might be too late to see a reverse of his position, but I strongly suspect that it most certainly wouldn't happen if Gus were to be appointed.

The club as a whole is at a fork in the road. Yes, we need to salvage yet another clusterf**k of a season, but we also need to see a demonstration of the fresh start that we have all been crying out for since Gilmour et al announced that they were selling up. The club has been on the crash table for a few years now.  The next move is absolutely critical. I think Gordon Scott is all too aware of this, and for that reason, I don't think we'll see Gus MacPherson back in the dressing room.

 

If you look at the all-time Scottish top division table we're ninth, realistically we should be behind Dundee Utd. who didn't reach the top flight till around 1960. Gus had us pretty much at level par - there is no next level for Saints never was, never will be!

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premiership/all-time-table

As for the 2010 LC Final Gus got his tictacs spot on that day and can't be blamed for Potter mistiming and pulling out of a tackle at the halfway line or Mair (IIRC) not putting in a challenge on Boyd.

**********************

However as I've said already second-time-arounds rarely work. I've always said we should be looking at young up & coming managers so for me if there's money for compo (and if there's not then Rae should have been given till the end of November to turn things round) there's only one option - the mighty, mighty Stephen Aitken!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gazmc83 said:

Most of them are from the West Stand.

Sorry, I missed the cleaning lady. :)

Edited by pod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

 

As for the 2010 LC Final Gus got his tictacs spot on that day and can't be blamed for Potter mistiming and pulling out of a tackle at the halfway line or Mair (IIRC) not putting in a challenge on Miller.

**********************

 

It's all about opinions, that's for sure. For me, the tactics after they were reduced to 9 were catastrophic.

Rather than consolidate on the superior number by taking it to ET, we decided to dispense with defending and opted to pass the ball across the final third until someone made a mistake, lost possession, and we were left ridiculously exposed on the counter.

It was schoolboy stuff, and everyone round about me was screaming for us to keep our shape, calm it down, and take it to extra time when our 2 man advantage would surely count. FFS, I shudder just recalling the memory of it.

Anyway, its history now, and so - in my view - is Gus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drew said:

It's all about opinions, that's for sure. For me, the tactics after they were reduced to 9 were catastrophic.

Rather than consolidate on the superior number by taking it to ET, we decided to dispense with defending and opted to pass the ball across the final third until someone made a mistake, lost possession, and we were left ridiculously exposed on the counter.

It was schoolboy stuff, and everyone round about me was screaming for us to keep our shape, calm it down, and take it to extra time when our 2 man advantage would surely count. FFS, I shudder just recalling the memory of it.

Anyway, its history now, and so - in my view - is Gus.

It used to be. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mind that rumour about an ex-Arsenal player having applied? Apparently it's Stefan Schwarz. 10/1 on McBookie now. 


can't remember him playing for Arsenal,so what teams has he been with since leaving them??


I recall him, or was that Stephen Black?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew said:

It's all about opinions, that's for sure. For me, the tactics after they were reduced to 9 were catastrophic.

Rather than consolidate on the superior number by taking it to ET, we decided to dispense with defending and opted to pass the ball across the final third until someone made a mistake, lost possession, and we were left ridiculously exposed on the counter.

It was schoolboy stuff, and everyone round about me was screaming for us to keep our shape, calm it down, and take it to extra time when our 2 man advantage would surely count. FFS, I shudder just recalling the memory of it.

Anyway, its history now, and so - in my view - is Gus.

Believe me the 17 seconds from when Weir read Dargo's dummy at the edge of a crowded box (!) till the ball hit the side, yes the side, of Gallacher's net are seared into my memory - I don't blame Gus in the slightest.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't see what benefit there would be to turning the clock back to Gus (episode 2).

Yes he may be doing a fair job at QP, however he didn't set the heather on fire at the Doonhamers and my general recollections of his tactical nous were that he liked a strong defence but not a lot else. The League Cup final exposed his lack of ability to adjust and it was really embarrassing to sit through that. I don't recollect stunning midfield and attacking tactics being adopted at any point in either that game or his tenure as a whole.

I'm not expecting a miracle worker, but I do genuinely feel that the squad we have has the ability to perform at a much better standard than they have shown this season so far. A Coach / Manager (call him / her what you will) with a passion, tactical understanding and the ability to connect with the players to get them to perform each week as though they wanted to play for St Mirren will be good enough to see the team climb the league.

I agree with a previous poster that we should be able to compete with St Johnstone, PT, Hamilton, Motherwell and Dundee Utd on a regular basis. We need to stabilise, compete and maybe, just maybe, again raise the expectations of the faithful to turn up regularly to watch some enjoyable football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I really don't see what benefit there would be to turning the clock back to Gus (episode 2).

Yes he may be doing a fair job at QP, however he didn't set the heather on fire at the Doonhamers and my general recollections of his tactical nous were that he liked a strong defence but not a lot else. The League Cup final exposed his lack of ability to adjust and it was really embarrassing to sit through that. I don't recollect stunning midfield and attacking tactics being adopted at any point in either that game or his tenure as a whole.

I'm not expecting a miracle worker, but I do genuinely feel that the squad we have has the ability to perform at a much better standard than they have shown this season so far. A Coach / Manager (call him / her what you will) with a passion, tactical understanding and the ability to connect with the players to get them to perform each week as though they wanted to play for St Mirren will be good enough to see the team climb the league.

I agree with a previous poster that we should be able to compete with St Johnstone, PT, Hamilton, Motherwell and Dundee Utd on a regular basis. We need to stabilise, compete and maybe, just maybe, again raise the expectations of the faithful to turn up regularly to watch some enjoyable football.

I was not a great fan of GM's tictacs in general and don't particularly want him back as manager but the LC final was a masterstroke - 3-5-2 crossfield balls to two tall strikers (Higdon & Mehmet) with the other forward supporting totally outfoxed and frustrated Smith and Rangers - he shoulda used these tictacs all that season but maybe he was saving them for "the big one" - I'll let it go after this one but GM got it spot on that day and shouldn't be blamed for players' errors.

*******************

St. Johnstone, PT & Hamilton have all spent lengthy spells in the second tier within the past twenty years, PT & Hamilton have been relegated beneath that during this period. I posted my Tier theory of Scottish clubs awhile back, Motherwell went into administration after overspending vastly and would have been relegated a decade or so back had Falkirk's new ground been ready, and Dundee Utd. are arguably the biggest of the diddy clubs but even they've been relegated twice in the last 20 years (ok - 21 years) although  they bounced back at the first attempt via the play-offs in '96.

We're at the low point in our cycle but as long as we avoid relegation we're not outwith where we should be - plus or minus.

*******************

Stephen Aitkens BAWA - you know it makes sense!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davies I think is where a lot of fans will look but GS has stated that this a long term job and I just can't for one minute seeing Davies wanting to commit to a long term job. Lets be clear , Davies will see us as a stepping stone so if he can't, or wont, commit to a long term plan ( and I know nothing , especially management, is ever long term) that will go against him.

Hughes may have left ICT due to funds not being available so if no real money is available at saints then , again, that might not be attractive to him.

So from that list ( and we don't always believe the bookies) it leaves the next two as Gus and Fullarton. Fans don't appear to relish a Gus return and I wonder whether the BOD want that either. Which leaves Jamie Fullarton out of that alleged favourite group. I said at that start of this process that we need someone new, hungry and connected and for me he fits the bill. Is it a risk ? all appointments are in my view but I've heard him a lot recently (Talksport, BBC etc) and he has done his time learning this job.

Will he get it? he has as much chance as anyone but I'd be comfortable if he did. The main thing is that the club and fans get behind whichever of the four ( or others ...apart from Chick young :huh:) gets it and we start kicking on because bottom of this championship is no fun at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×