Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

I think the only person that classes DL as a failure is you. 

What exactly did he fail at? 

Danny Lennon was part of a list of managers who's first permanent full time managerial role was their last, at least up till now. Illustrating the point that for every Alex Neil there is 10 who don't do what he did.

Could argue about DL being a success or failure... But if he was such a success, why hasn't he got another permanent full time gig since leaving us? It's certainly not for lack of trying, Danny's threw his hat in for pretty much every full time managerial job that's came up in Scotland since he left, from Dumfries to Dingwall.

32 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Danny Lennon was part of a list of managers who's first permanent full time managerial role was their last, at least up till now. Illustrating the point that for every Alex Neil there is 10 who don't do what he did.

Ahem ............. add your pal Gus to that list. 

Edited by Kendo

31 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Could argue about DL being a success or failure... But if he was such a success, why hasn't he got another permanent full time gig since leaving us? It's certainly not for lack of trying, Danny's threw his hat in for pretty much every full time managerial job that's came up in Scotland since he left, from Dumfries to Dingwall.

If that is a measure of his lack of success, what about your beloved MacPherson? His F/T gig after leaving us (for a job in a lower league) ended with him relegating the club. He now manages a p/t club in the third tier.

If that is a measure of his lack of success, what about your beloved MacPherson? His F/T gig after leaving us (for a job in a lower league) ended with him relegating the club. He now manages a p/t club in the third tier.

But he won't make the list of managers who's first full time role was their last, unlike the others on that list.

Let's hope Jack's one of the few managers who's first full time role isn't their last.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

But he won't make the list of managers who's first full time role was their last, unlike the others on that list.

Let's hope Jacks one of the few managers who goes on to manage another full time club.

I don't care what hue of club Ross goes on to manage. It is what he does whilst at St Mirren that matters.

What's with the fixation on the subsequent careers of former managers? Do you measure your performance in the job you are currently in by speculating about what posts you might hold in the future? Sorry, but this is an absurd manner in which to judge how successful a St Mirren manager has been.

43 minutes ago, SuperSaints 12 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3822785/Jack-Ross-lands-St-Mirren-job-serve-notice-period-Alloa.html

"Kilmarnock's demand for compensation killed off a late move for Assistant Manager Lee McCulloch"

Cheers Killie - massive bullet dodged !!!

17 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

How has that been 'proven' then? :huh: I would say the fact that team beat Celtic in the semi-final and then Hearts in the final, but finished 2nd bottom of the league 'proves' Danny failed in the league (our bread and butter).

It's 4 of that team that played in the relegation season, not 6. You're not having McLean, he was our top scorer and his sale mid-season was one of the main reasons we got relegated, and you're not having a 36 year old Teale who had effectively retired and started 3 games all season!

Of those that were still around; McGinn has moved onto a bigger club and now plays for Scotland, Cheesy got hounded out the club, Goodwin and Thommohawk had aged another 2 years + and were well into their 30s.

That was a great team that fell into Lennon's lap, and he made an arse of it in the league. Simple as that.

No, that proves that it's far easier for teams to get themselves up for big matches at Hampden than it is to do it consistently over a league season. That season's team had two young players - McGinn and McLean - both given their chance by Lennon and played regularly despite their age, getting support from the manager. You are right to acknowledge that he has gone onto better things - being given his debut at 18 and being trusted by his manager will have played a huge part in his development.

ou don't get to choose who was part of the team. McLean was top scorer when he left and we were bottom when he left. I'll concede on Teale but the point is that half the team that was good enough for top 4 in your eyes was part of the team that got relegated.

Of that team that "fell into Lennon's lap" he gave McLean and McGinn their debuts, signed Thommo, Teale, Goncalves, Dummet, Goodwin, Newton, Samson, and most of the others that were part of the cup win. The fact that they were good enough to finish a respectable 8th twice in three season as well as a cup win is a credit to both them and the manager.

The fact that we were relegated as soon as Lennon left says a lot about the work he done while here to keep us up.

Unless you have an agenda, that is...

15 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see past, "Murray, mark 2".

You're right. They're both young managers, so are likely to be genetically identical, and will make the exact same decisions, use the exact same "tactics" and will no doubt have the exact same results.

I don't know why nobody else has cottoned on to this...

Lennon done a brilliant job Gilmore put an end to that. then disaster as we all know the rest of the story upto now. jack Ross is the manager he has a hard task ahead of him he really needs to shake it up in the January transfer window so there is players challenging for positions.Rae's left him with not alot of choices in key positions. I hope he does get the team playing as well as they played the last 10 minutes on Saturday. They proved they can do it.but I think they need pushed every week. good luck jack

Lennon didn't do a brilliant job. He'd have done better if he had clamped down on the indiscipline shown by the squad after the cup final.

The period that we consistently lost goals in the 90th minute of games was some of the worst football ive seen us play.

Coupled with his pretty patchy signing history. His cup win was good, but he definitely had plenty of faults.

11 hours ago, scottd said:

The team hardly fell into Lennon's lap.  He signed most of them, or in the case of McLean stopped the previous vandal getting rid of him.:rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by vandal, did MacPherson try and get rid of McLean?

Ok, maybe I'm pushing it a little bit with 'fell into his lap'. I was trying to make the point that 3 of them were loans that came through Tommy Craig and an agent (for Isma I believe). A couple of them were youth players and another couple were Saints fans who were signing for us regardless of manager. He did sign Samson, Goody, DVZ, Gowser and Teale - all excellent signings............... that should have been playing in Europe in 2013/14 :)

7 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Ok, maybe I'm pushing it a little bit with 'fell into his lap'. I was trying to make the point that 3 of them were loans that came through Tommy Craig and an agent (for Isma I believe). A couple of them were youth players and another couple were Saints fans who were signing for us regardless of manager. He did sign Samson, Goody, DVZ, Gowser and Teale - all excellent signings............... that should have been playing in Europe in 2013/14 :)

If it weren't for the poor performance of Scottish teams in Europe over the years, we would have been. The European place for the League Cup was taken away due to diminishing league places...

Let's hope Jack's one of the few managers who's first full time role isn't their last.

Let's hope it is Jack's last. Then that means he's been continuously successful for St Mirren.

We never should forget the past. There have been some great times there that will live with us forever, and the really really low points along the way make the good times even better.

At this precise moment though we should all be looking forward and hoping that Jack Ross brings us the same level of joy that Tom Hendrie did when he came from Alloa or that Alex Ferguson did when he joined from East Stirling.

It's never dull supporting this club of ours. Buckle up and let's see where this new journey takes us.

1 hour ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Ok, maybe I'm pushing it a little bit with 'fell into his lap'. I was trying to make the point that 3 of them were loans that came through Tommy Craig and an agent (for Isma I believe). A couple of them were youth players and another couple were Saints fans who were signing for us regardless of manager. He did sign Samson, Goody, DVZ, Gowser and Teale - all excellent signings............... that should have been playing in Europe in 2013/14 :)

I don't buy the line that we should have been playing in Europe with that team.  To qualify for Europe you need to finish top 3 in the league, I'm sorry but that squad was not a top3 squad.

And yes MacPherson did try and get rid of McLean.

Edited by scottd