Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Any reasonable enquiries so far?

You have to wonder about the quality of the enquiries that were fired in within hours of Rae's departure. Folk literally sitting refreshing Twitter etc, waiting for managers getting bagged? Bizarre.

15 minutes ago, Kombibuddie said:

Not enthused by the same old names getting bandied about time and time again. Like there is no depth in talent in Scottish footballers at the moment, there is no depth in decent managers. We keep seeing the same, tired names mentioned for every job going.

Yogi Hughes, it's not a coincidence he is not managing a team just now. Pish Pish Pish.

Coming in from way way left field is Andy Roddie. He is managing highland league side Colony Park, they won their division last season, whole season undefeated and won 19 of 22 league games. Cutting his managerial teeth in the highland league might be worth considering if he could make the step up.

They play in the worst junior league in Scotland, nowhere near the Highland League, how is your uncle Andy keeping ???

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

You have to wonder about the quality of the enquiries that were fired in within hours of Rae's departure. Folk literally sitting refreshing Twitter etc, waiting for managers getting bagged? Bizarre.

To be fair i think most knew it was on the cards and perhaps some of these candidates had already been sounded out about the possibility of being our next manager.

32 minutes ago, Rabinho said:

Pressley consistently linked with jobs since he left Fleetwood, now I know he's a bellend but he might be an interesting choice.
Worked very well with youth players at Falkirk.

Our elvis would delighted if he got the job.

Yeah I doubt he's on £50k but I'd agree with you on the Queens Park job. IIRC Gardner Speirs and Billy Stark were full time managers at the club. Their duties were more than just running the first team. I would have thought MacPherson would have been the same but I spotted a news article from last year claiming he was looking to get "back into" full time football although it had to be "the right offer". He was also claiming that he had rejected a number of offers to stay at Queens Park. 

I've been along to watch the Queens play a few times under MacPherson and they were what I would have expected them to be. They weren't packed full of flair, a bit stuffy, but solid enough. Again IIRC it was Gardner Speirs that had Andrew Robertson, Shankland, Connelly and Spittal in his squad and not MacPherson but I'd need to check that. My concern about a guy like MacPherson would be that he's had a chance at St Mirren and he didn't have the best of records in developing young talent but as I said previously maybe that was because the old board were reticent to give him any influence over the work being done at the Academy by David Longwell. 

Yes, the guys who got the big moves from Queens were before Gus's time

Why's Danny Lennon not on that list? he would get more votes than Gus..

Personally I would love to see us appoint Billy Davies, but think he's out of our reach.

I'm sure Davies was on radio recently saying he's applied for loads of jobs and not getting anywhere. Seemed a bit bitter and blaming a journo from Nottingham if I recall correctly?

If he's getting rejected he could well drop down to the bottom of championship in order to rebuild his career.

I think John Collins would need a good assistant and foil for his own personality, but is the kind of guy who would be keen to set a good vision for the club and try and raise standards and spot young players and develop them. He might be a bit abrasive so would need someone with good people skills as his assistant. If we are going down the youth development route I think he would be good at teaching young players good habits and what is requiried to get on the way to the top. Not sure how he would get on with players who don't share his attitude towards fitness, or if he would be interested in the job but it might be worth sounding him out if he is remotely interested.

Doesn't John Collins like to work with Tommy Craig?

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Learning the technical skills should include learning how to play different styles of football.

It's not a case of splitting hairs, it's fundamental. Everyone in Scotland seems to think the ideal is to copy Barcelona and their tika-taka which incidentally Pep Guardiola said was "rubbish and utterly pointless". Yet Athletico Madrid were more successful than Barca last season playing a far more counter attacking style of football, defending deep and breaking quickly. Their style is far more risk adverse yet it gets them results. You could go back further. Tom Hendrie played a very direct attacking game using the pace of Junior Mendes and ensuring that his midfield got up the park quickly to support Yardley and Lavety while Tommy Turner would often sit very deep to break up the oppositions counter. Watching David Longwell talk in videos about teaching his kids to play the ball out from the back and to play the "right" way never sat right with me at all and when you get a manager of the first team who's looking to play a different style, it seems to have had the effect of breaking whatever confidence those kids coming through to the first team might have had. 

Formations and style of play are insignificant if you aren't taught and made comfortable and confident holding the ball. This is the main reason for youth players trained in the "tippy,tappy" football from an early age. If you can hold the ball, are comfortable and confident in your own ability then Hoof ball can be a plan B. There is no such thing as" learning" different styles. It is totally different from learning the technical aspects of the game. A good coach is one who knows what he's got at his disposal and adapts his formation and tactics accordingly. The only limitation is in the make up of players. Whether one is able to tackle comfortably or whether they are likely to put themselves at a disadvantage when doing so.  Building a squad to allow the adaptation is the difference between a coach and a  manager. Look at who I thought was the perfect attacking midfielder. Scholes. Going forward. Holding the ball. adapting withing Fergie's various tweaks. Fantastic. But ask him to tackle?????

Edited by stlucifer

Just now, tony soprano said:

Doesn't John Collins like to work with Tommy Craig?

My point would be when Collins was at Hibs in first managerial job it probably made sense to have an old head and good coach like Tommy Craig as his assistant while he learned the ropes. He's had a few seasons as a No.1 and has probably learned all her can from Tommy Craig. My guess is he needs a diplomatic approachable assistant.

I'm sure Davies was on radio recently saying he's applied for loads of jobs and not getting anywhere. Seemed a bit bitter and blaming a journo from Nottingham if I recall correctly?

If he's getting rejected he could well drop down to the bottom of championship in order to rebuild his career.

Aye I heard that interview as well.
Sounded bitter and slightly deluded.

5 hours ago, Meiksyboy said:

Please not Gus remember he's the Manager that couldn't beat 9 men in a cup final, that would definitely be taking a step backwards

And he was the Manager who strolled the next Match after the Cup Final.

9 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

here is one from the left field what about Anna Signuel the Scottish woman's international manager? Maybe be interested in being the first woman to manage in the top flight????

Great idea! Why don't we get my mum in as her assistant? 

Ban this c**t already, not even a st mirren fan 

here is one from the left field what about Anna Signuel the Scottish woman's international manager? Maybe be interested in being the first woman to manage in the top flight????

Shows how much thought you put into this!! We're not in the bloody top flight

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

They play in the worst junior league in Scotland, nowhere near the Highland League,

plenty good players and managers plying their trades in shite leagues all over the world.

We all hope that the next manager is the one who delivers the style of successful football we, as a mob, want to see. None of the names on the current list will do that. St Mirren needs to broaden it's search.