Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

Just now, bazil85 said:

What he's done at Alloa on a small budget would be great if he echoed it at St Mirren. All of the above came in with the club on a downward spiral and did well. Don't see why Goody would be different. Young, passionate, driven and in touch with modern game. Alloa fans rave about him. 

Goodwin went into an Alloa set up that were on the up and had recruited well.....that's why we got Jack Ross in the first place.

We don't really have foundations to build on at the moment. I like Goodwin but I don't think this would be the right appointment for either the club or Goodwin, maybe next time round though. Just my opinion of course.

2 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Goodwin went into an Alloa set up that were on the up and had recruited well.....that's why we got Jack Ross in the first place.

We don't really have foundations to build on at the moment. I like Goodwin but I don't think this would be the right appointment for either the club or Goodwin, maybe next time round though. Just my opinion of course.

To maintain it for almost two full seasons though including promoted in a play-off over bigger, stronger teams is a great achievement. Like I say, anyone else linked has failed in at least one job. He's young, passionate and modern thinking. Hands down should get it if interested. Another Jack Ross mold. 

Edited by bazil85

I've got to add my voice to the growing number backing Jim Goodwin. A legend at the club, not least for his leadership qualities during that League Cup run. Has a ruthless streak which good managers need. He's now got just under two years experience managing Alloa, taking them up in the playoffs and has them a well drilled, organised unit.

He would unite the fans in a way few other candidates could, which will be a must for us after the last few months, and is a motivator as shown many times while playing for us, which is another requirement given the lackadaisical nature of individual performances of late.

For me, he's the perfect choice - over to GLS...

ETA The other quality that Goodwin appears to have is energy, allied with enthusiasm. Add that to the motivational ability and his growing reputation as a coach and tactician, and it's a no brainer for me. 

Edited by Soctty

54 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

England is the land of milk and honey Scotland on this small island gets the crumbs. Out with the old firm foreign managers have not been a great success.

The style of Scottish football does not suit tippy tappy sideways backwards football of foreign managers.

At this time we need a manager that can put Humpty Dumpty back together again someone who knows the club not a romantic  foreign dream project.

Goodwin  or McPherson is the right course of action at this time Goodwin would be my choice. McPherson would be acceptable after this farce that team Stubbs brought to our club.

Would keep Rice on I'm sure he will be a good number two.

Then why are all these foreign players here in Scotland that have come from a 'tippy tappy' culture?  We have to rid ourselves of this mindset of 'Scottish football' as being better and more practicable.   The call of 'get fcuking intae them' exemplifies our approach to the game which has shown Scotland to be far from the level of other small countries.

I heard Jim interviewed a few months in to the Alloa gig and he refused to take any credit for where they were in the league, putting it all down to Jack Ross. He spoke very highly indeed of Jack and hopefully learned a lot from working with him.

If the Alloa fans are happy with him then that is certainly a good sign. If only we had asked Rotherham fans how Stubbs time went.  Although I would feel bad for taking Alloa's manager once again.

I think I would still prefer Jim McIntyre due to his Premier League experience, but some of the posts here have convinced me it wouldn't be a bad shout to give Goodwin the chance to step up.

I don't normally wax lyrical about The International Rangers. Are you seriously suggesting that in the next week or two we might overtake them since we are only two points / one result behind them? Rangers have already made it to the Europa League group stages this season. Like us they have gone to Pittodrie. Unlike us they played 80 minutes with 10 men and almost won the game until Aberdeen got an injury time equaliser against the run of play. Did you watch our game against Rangers at Ibrox? At one point in the first half Rangers had 75% possession, they played 60 minutes with 10 men against us and we didn't make Allan McGregor make a save. 
You also mention our proximity in league standing to Aberdeen. Aberdeen almost scored against us within 6 seconds of kick off, when they did start scoring for real they were 3-0 up after 25 minutes and ran out 4-0 winners comfortably. Did we look like scoring even a consolation goal against them?
Could you envisage us going toe to toe with Rangers at home and getting a last minute equaliser to make it 3-3 the way Motherwell did?
You are right that it is the silly season for looking at sacking a manager this early in the league campaign. It has been 4 weeks since a St Mirren player scored a goal for us, 4 games in a row where the game is over by half time, a few of those games have been finished after 25 minutes.
Stubbs was promised money to sign 6 or 7 players to add to the players he inherited from Jack Ross - he has been backed by the board who have let him sign 11 of his own players now.
Time will tell what kind of terms we have signed our 7 loan signings on but going by the team selections week by week I am wondering if we are allowed to drop some of our loan players if they are fit to play... eg Smith and Mullen have been on the bench but Brock-Madsen starts every game. When fans post their ideal starting XI almost no one sticks Coulson at left back and the majority suggest playing him in left midfield... we've supposedly been told by Middlesborough he has to be used as a left back. Once Paul McGinn returns to fitness do you think Stubbs would consider dropping Coulson for his defensive mistakes week after week.
Can you see any of our loan players making way for Ryan Edwards in midfield or are we going to see more of our permanent signings punted to the bench to make way for another loanee. For our last 2 games, 3 of our defenders have been loanees.
Stubbs seems to operate on the belief that English academy players are better than Scottish premiership players - something not being borne out by performances or results in the league, where we are currently the whipping boys for everyone else apart from a Dundee team who missed a penalty against us and whose keeper fell over to gift us a winning goal.
Good post

The league table it what it is! One point behing Motherwell and two points behind Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs. And its like that because its only four games in, so a team can win and climb four places. Given the board stood by their man Ross, and were in the end rewarded for thst strategy, its nonsense to think they will sack Stubbzo after four games, given he is also their man!
as Regards the loanees and academy players, imo they are better technically to what we had. Their issue is a lack of professional game time, and having so many all trying to learn on the job at the same time. I feel that will settle down, tneir confidence will grow and we will see improving performances. Some of these young guys are very highly rated, they will come good.
with Edwards coming in, and Paul McGinn back that is must the competition we need for places, so should strengthen us. What isnt certain is will tbe club retain and rehab McKenzie and Eckersley? Obviously they both have contracts and are entitled to see them fulfilled, but would it not make sense if Stubbs doesn't think he will use them to offer them a mutual with rehab facilities? Then he could be in a position to add a decent free agent...
i am pretty sure if he was fit that Mckenzie would have featured at least off tbe bench in recent games. But given that he wouldnt sign for a club with astroturf you have to wonder what logic there is to not offering him a mutual?
You don't seem to be listening, or reading. You think stubbs should've remained? How far behind do we have to be before we're inevitably looking at relegation before you'd act to remove what has been a poor appointment?

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Charlie Adam gave a radio interview a month or so back where he was less than complimentary about Lambert's management style.

Lambert apparently liked to remind the players that they were nothing more than water carriers and that everything had to go through one particular star player.

So on that score, I don't think this is what we want.

Oh well if Charlie Overweight Lazy Adams says it- it must be true......:lol:

Football management is one strange and not such a wonderful world! <_<

Here we are just 4 league games into this new season where we had such high hopes, if not expectations and we're back into the early summer recess period looking for a MANAGER who can manage, inspire, lead, teach, sympathise and be successful despite a very limited, or even non-existent budget.

I had to smile recently in the company of two Morton supporters (yes they have more than one) and they were apoplectic about the departure of Ray McKinnon. One minute he is signing the players he thinks will do a good job for Morton, appearing to be leading them in the right direction, inspiring the players at training and on the park, then the next he is quietly tempted off to Falkirk and leaves the 'Ton' on the lurch! :rolleyes: I jokingly offered them AS, little did I know he would be available so quickly!!

My point is that for almost every team in Scotland, maybe bar the hooped east-enders' in Glasgow,  football management is certainly not for those who want job stability, little public scrutiny or for those of a thin-skinned disposition. Most never reach the end of their 'contract' period and most are given vile vitriol in what is now open trench warfare in public forums, even if their success record is fair to middling or just plain crap.

This is a new low point for Saints, other than Iain Munro's one day appointment back in '96, AS's tenure is the shortest managerial appointment in Saints history. He came on the back of a Cup win at Hibs and probably little else that would inspire, other than playing at a very high standard in a very competitive league. You might have thought that he had picked up one or two useful markers how you manage people and inspire at the same time - apparently not. However it also tells me that the decision makers who appointed him are not without a great amount of fault and in terms of recruitment they have let the fans and the club down badly.

No matter how you parcel up this last 12 weeks, it reflects exceedingly badly on the club, the Board and a number of the fans who have publicly berated the Manager to the point of vindictiveness.  I ask a simple question, what good, self-respecting person would want to take on this gig?  :wacko:

41 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I heard Jim interviewed a few months in to the Alloa gig and he refused to take any credit for where they were in the league, putting it all down to Jack Ross. He spoke very highly indeed of Jack and hopefully learned a lot from working with him.

If the Alloa fans are happy with him then that is certainly a good sign. If only we had asked Rotherham fans how Stubbs time went.  Although I would feel bad for taking Alloa's manager once again.

I think I would still prefer Jim McIntyre due to his Premier League experience, but some of the posts here have convinced me it wouldn't be a bad shout to give Goodwin the chance to step up.

Kemp.  Living in Stirling gave me the opportunity to watch Alloa a few times.  The stand out players were our two loanees Kirkpatrick and Stewart.  His team last season was a mix of pros reaching the end of their careers, loaners and young players.  They were well drilled and covered for other on the pitch. I liked what I saw. Ignore the mentions to JR.  He was playing to the gallery there.  Jim's time might come but perhaps not now.  He is at a well run club that nurtures young managers.  As to Jim McIntyre,  maybe worth a punt.  I'm happy to leave it to the board in the knowledge that they have that responsibility.  I wouldn't like it. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Kuivert i know it was his first management  job but the buzz of him at the club plus the dutch and spanish contact's he had. The st mirren job had his name written all over it from the start. He wouldnt touch it now. So its jim mcintyre there really isn't any other half decent managers out their out of a job at the moment. If we bring in goody or any other manager who is in a job then we need to pay compensation. 

40 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Whatever poor bugger ends up in the chair, they will, under this board be thrown to the lions!

this board refuse to take responsibility for their failings.

Indeed, they offered our money, not theirs, to Stubbs along with a 3 year contract. 

A one year rolling contract would have been sufficient. 

If Stubbs had refused that, then don't feckin employ him and move on to the next applicant. 

THREE FECKING YEARS 

42 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Whatever poor bugger ends up in the chair, they will, under this board be thrown to the lions!

this board refuse to take responsibility for their failings.

Like Stubbs the poor bugger that has just walked off with 75k for 3 months work, poor bugger indeed. :lol:

Anymore square go’s lined up for today? :lol:

1 hour ago, buddygreat said:
On 9/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, Lord Pityme said:
The league table it what it is! One point behing Motherwell and two points behind Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs. And its like that because its only four games in, so a team can win and climb four places. Given the board stood by their man Ross, and were in the end rewarded for thst strategy, its nonsense to think they will sack Stubbzo after four games, given he is also their man!
as Regards the loanees and academy players, imo they are better technically to what we had. Their issue is a lack of professional game time, and having so many all trying to learn on the job at the same time. I feel that will settle down, tneir confidence will grow and we will see improving performances. Some of these young guys are very highly rated, they will come good.
with Edwards coming in, and Paul McGinn back that is must the competition we need for places, so should strengthen us. What isnt certain is will tbe club retain and rehab McKenzie and Eckersley? Obviously they both have contracts and are entitled to see them fulfilled, but would it not make sense if Stubbs doesn't think he will use them to offer them a mutual with rehab facilities? Then he could be in a position to add a decent free agent...
i am pretty sure if he was fit that Mckenzie would have featured at least off tbe bench in recent games. But given that he wouldnt sign for a club with astroturf you have to wonder what logic there is to not offering him a mutual?

You don't seem to be listening, or reading. You think stubbs should've remained? How far behind do we have to be before we're inevitably looking at relegation before you'd act to remove what has been a poor appointment?

We are two points behind Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs. One point behind Motherwell.

its criminally early to sack someone because the players dont like him! A round of fixtures should have been a reasonable assessment of a managers good. But if you feel it has to be sooner then have some pride in yourself, your club and respect for the person YOU employed weeks ago and tell them first, and to their face?

wonder how the next guy will feel if the club start leaking shit to smear him after a few games?