Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

There are plenty of guys who would take the job and how do you come to the conclusion there won't be any budget come January. Because they never gave Stubbs any more money to spunk away there will. Be a good budget for whoever comes in for January what they have to do is get the players back on board get them properly organised and playing in there proper positions there's players out their who can come in and do a job for us until January when they can start to look at what's needed

14 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Goodwin if he wants it has to be ahead of Kearney all day long.

Not sure what would have changed for Jim though given his stance in the summer. 

Huge gamble to give either of them the job given our situation.

Could kill Goodwins career stone dead, for me he is better to wait for a Thistle type job where he'd have a good solid board and time.

Our job for me needs a proven solid Premiership manager, but then again Jack Ross wouldn't be that either !!

Goodwin has done well at Alloa, although was struggling a touch before Ross Stewart and Jordan Kirkpatrick went on loan last year, Jack Ross wouldn't have had him as his assistant for no reason.

Still to see a good reason as to why McIntyre is uninspiring ?.

The difference for Goodwin now, as opposed to earlier in the year, is that he wouldn't have such big shoes to fill.

Following on from a very successful manager was always likely to be a big ask, especially for a relatively inexperienced manager, and perhaps he didn't fancy that pressure. Now, however, whoever comes in will have to do catastrophically badly to be worse than his predecessor.

Our aspirations are a bit lower now, I would have thought (ie - survival). That would have been enough for many in any event, but certainly must be for all but the most delusional post-Stubbs.

Anyway, its all ifs and buts just now.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Ally McCoist has announced he's pulled out of the running for a job he wasn't being considered for.

Hopefully he is concentrating on how his wealth can be used to improve the life of the young man so devastated by the actions of McCoist junior and improve on the offer of £100 per month compensation from the son of a multi-millionaire

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

What are you basing this on (genuine question)?

He's pretty well known around the west end of glasgow (where he drinks all the time), as being a wee bit of a prick.  Whether we like each other doesn't matter - I do think he'd do a job and may even bring Shankland with him. There you go, 2 guys some of posters don't like:) 

In saying all that, its Goody for me. But McCall a country mile ahead of Gus.

Surely people suggesting Gus are at it? Anyone but him if we are serious about moving forward. Goodwin is too inexperienced imo. An experienced manager who will motivate this squad, keep us in the frame til January and able to upgrade then. If such a person exists......

Jim Goodwin is the clear choice for me. Had there been a lot of experienced managers in the frame, they might have been a better pick, but most experienced managers in this country have their baggage and their failures. I'd rather a young manager with fresh ideas and enthusiasm. One with leadership skills and a motivator is what we need to get us playing right now, and Jim would be a hugely popular choice among the fans.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

Jim Goodwin is the clear choice for me. Had there been a lot of experienced managers in the frame, they might have been a better pick, but most experienced managers in this country have their baggage and their failures. I'd rather a young manager with fresh ideas and enthusiasm. One with leadership skills and a motivator is what we need to get us playing right now, and Jim would be a hugely popular choice among the fans.

You'll be saying the same about Goodwin in 3 or 4 years. Seems about the time frame for all managers to get that label ?

8 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

You'll be saying the same about Goodwin in 3 or 4 years. Seems about the time frame for all managers to get that label ?

You'll be posting more pish on here in 3 or 4 years, trying to put words in others' mouths.

Try sticking to your own opinions rather than trying to tell others theirs.

:thumbsup

I honestly just don't understand why people would want Goodwin. His managerial career so far is actually pretty poor and I don't see what fresh ideas or enthusiasm he's capable of bringing. He's no exactly renown for his tactical nous or doing anything different at Alloa. That's no even mentioning his potential lack of contacts in the game, when you look at the players he's played with and where they are now.

People comparing the situation to when we took Ross seem to forget the position we were in when Ross was appointed, bottom of the Championship. Yet they want a man who's not won a game in the Championship to keep us up in the top flight.

If he hadn't been as fortunate to be captain when we won the cup, no one would mention him. Even in the cup team he isn't in the top 7 players in the team.

Goodwin would not signal any ambition form the club other than trying to tread water, with the excuse of 'but the other manager messed it up' despite us being 4 league games in.

I get where people wanting Goody are coming from . Would it work ? Who knows .But the other names being mentioned have question marks also.
As far as Goody’s performance to date as a manager , 43% win ratio and a promotion is not a bad achievement but premiership is a big jump up . Contact wise he hasn’t done too bad this season, loans from Aberdeen, sevco, well and Sunderland .
Alan Stubbs has loads of contacts and we all know how that turned out.
I have no idea who will get the gig , I only hope they can salvage something from this season.

1 hour ago, cambiebud said:

Surely people suggesting Gus are at it? Anyone but him if we are serious about moving forward. Goodwin is too inexperienced imo. An experienced manager who will motivate this squad, keep us in the frame til January and able to upgrade then. If such a person exists......

I will probably get shot down in flames for this suggestion but What about Yogi, he'll take no sh!t, get us organised and from I can recall his teams played no bad football. The downside is he's been out the game for a while but I personally think he'll install the passion that we have been sadly missing and what I think that we as supporters all respond to.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Not the season we were relegated he wasn't.  Disappeared without a trace.

Like most did ?  The magic managers coming and going. Terrible period in our history. We need steady hands someone who knows Scottish Football a bonus would be has a feel for the club <_< That would be a good win :D

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Like most did ?  The magic managers coming and going. Terrible period in our history. We need steady hands someone who knows Scottish Football a bonus would be has a feel for the club <_< That would be a good win :D

I think some are slightly blinkered by Jim Goodwin and their memories of him. 

As some have said , now is not the right time for him. He even suggested that himself the last time round. 

9 minutes ago, div said:

St.Mirren offer an absolutely fantastic opportunity for any prospective manager.

A club with no debt, with money in the bank.

A club with a place in the Premiership.

A club with a dedicated training ground.

A club with a young and ambitious board of directors.

A club with a proven youth academy, one that has delivered over £2m in transfer income in the last few years.

A club with a stadium that is still under 10 years old.

A club that is well on the way to becoming fan owned.

A club with a record number of season ticket holders this season.

A club whose supporters have demonstrated that they will absolutely adore a manager that they can identify with.

A club with a tremendous and proud history.

There will rightly be a queue of managers absolutely desperate to take control of our fantastic club.

Well said that man.....................COYS!!!!

3 minutes ago, munoz said:

As some have said , now is not the right time for him. He even suggested that himself the last time round. 

Don't take my word for it his ex-team mates are praising his leadership skills including Samson today. 

56 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Drew he does not like us as a club quite obvious when on off the ball. Its a pointless debate as he will not be offered it. 

I listened to him being very complimentary about the club on Radio Shortbread last night. Okay, perhaps that was him submitting his application, but I think you might be buying in to the panto villain stuff I mentioned previously.

On what are you basing your assertion that he wouldn't be offered the job? I don't think any of us knows who would or wouldn't be offered it. It is complete speculation just now, and McCall is as likely to be in the frame as any of the other names mentioned.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The board who created all this mess are going to have to really sugar coat their offer to any interested, and half decent manager to actually take the job! Yes 'someone' will take it, but the board are the ones under the microscope now. If they pick, or are left with Just anyone..? Then their time is up.

any manager taking the job will know they are most likely looking at being relegated, even at this stage of the season. If they cant get the team in a position with half a chance come December, then the board are unlikely to give them a budget to overhaul the squad yet again in the hope of staying up. So how, and to who do you sell that potential career-ender?

you can chuck more wages at the new guy to just take it, but anyone with a bit of pedigree/potential can afford to bide their time on that front.

you can give assurances that even if their relegated, you will retain them to build for the future, but having just bagged someone for failing after four league games makes that look a hollow promise.

you could sell it as a stepping stone, a chance to re-start a management career etc.. etc.. but read the above! With no budget, a mismatched and divided squad, your first game possibly against Celtic.. then it looks like the ultimate hospital pass.

we can all bounce names of who we would prefer to be the next incumbent, but think.... given our predicament, position and perilous state. Who could be convinced to take it?

does Goody want to comeback as a legend, then get the shit kicked out of him week after week as he tries to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

does McIntyre fancy jumping back into a club, in the same, or perhaps worse state than the one he was sacked from, and then potentially be relegated?

Kearney who is flying high, stock rising... will he see it as the same opportunity it was in the summer? Maybe better to bide his time for something he can at least shape in the short term?

I think the more realistic question is not 'who would we like?' But... 'who the f**k with anything about them can be persuaded to take it?'

And yet some "Fans" on here think we're in a great position just now.Only 2 points behind Aberdeen,Hibs and sevco.Some seem to think we're doing so well we were wrong to sack the manager.

Of course we are going over analyze any appointment and considering the last apt so should the BOD...................

We are in a good place as a club overall, our issues are Player recruitment, Leadership on and off the Park , and a shared vision, just as we did last season, where Jack had it done to the point tally per quarter.....................

In the great scheme, we are probably 3 points light of where we would expect to be.............

But, we are still a newbee Premiership team after 3 woeful years and 2 good ones in last 6 , Bad 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 .............. Good 2013 League Cup and 8th, 2017- 2018  Promotion to Premiership  ...............

Its as obvious as Tommy Craig shocking appointment that the whole Stubbs apt was doomed............... a hell of a lot of player power in 2014-2015, added with BOD wanting out and ridiculous club speculation with consortiums, this year its just the Stubbs scenario....... I do hope- that the BOD do an analysis on anything they could have/ should have done different ........... this was Gordon's apt Rae wasnt

Next apt is crucial. Jack said from day dot we will be in Premiership. We need  a target for next manager, and he needs to talk about it every game , the players need to focus, whether its 6th or 10th , it just needs out there  .................. that way the fans, players buy in, ownership is shared , after all if we are to be a medium/long term success we need buy in..........

One town One team- that's how we succeed

Edited by DougJamie

27 minutes ago, munoz said:

Last time round is very different from this time, however.