Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

56 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Drew he does not like us as a club quite obvious when on off the ball. Its a pointless debate as he will not be offered it. 

I listened to him being very complimentary about the club on Radio Shortbread last night. Okay, perhaps that was him submitting his application, but I think you might be buying in to the panto villain stuff I mentioned previously.

On what are you basing your assertion that he wouldn't be offered the job? I don't think any of us knows who would or wouldn't be offered it. It is complete speculation just now, and McCall is as likely to be in the frame as any of the other names mentioned.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The board who created all this mess are going to have to really sugar coat their offer to any interested, and half decent manager to actually take the job! Yes 'someone' will take it, but the board are the ones under the microscope now. If they pick, or are left with Just anyone..? Then their time is up.

any manager taking the job will know they are most likely looking at being relegated, even at this stage of the season. If they cant get the team in a position with half a chance come December, then the board are unlikely to give them a budget to overhaul the squad yet again in the hope of staying up. So how, and to who do you sell that potential career-ender?

you can chuck more wages at the new guy to just take it, but anyone with a bit of pedigree/potential can afford to bide their time on that front.

you can give assurances that even if their relegated, you will retain them to build for the future, but having just bagged someone for failing after four league games makes that look a hollow promise.

you could sell it as a stepping stone, a chance to re-start a management career etc.. etc.. but read the above! With no budget, a mismatched and divided squad, your first game possibly against Celtic.. then it looks like the ultimate hospital pass.

we can all bounce names of who we would prefer to be the next incumbent, but think.... given our predicament, position and perilous state. Who could be convinced to take it?

does Goody want to comeback as a legend, then get the shit kicked out of him week after week as he tries to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

does McIntyre fancy jumping back into a club, in the same, or perhaps worse state than the one he was sacked from, and then potentially be relegated?

Kearney who is flying high, stock rising... will he see it as the same opportunity it was in the summer? Maybe better to bide his time for something he can at least shape in the short term?

I think the more realistic question is not 'who would we like?' But... 'who the f**k with anything about them can be persuaded to take it?'

And yet some "Fans" on here think we're in a great position just now.Only 2 points behind Aberdeen,Hibs and sevco.Some seem to think we're doing so well we were wrong to sack the manager.

Of course we are going over analyze any appointment and considering the last apt so should the BOD...................

We are in a good place as a club overall, our issues are Player recruitment, Leadership on and off the Park , and a shared vision, just as we did last season, where Jack had it done to the point tally per quarter.....................

In the great scheme, we are probably 3 points light of where we would expect to be.............

But, we are still a newbee Premiership team after 3 woeful years and 2 good ones in last 6 , Bad 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 .............. Good 2013 League Cup and 8th, 2017- 2018  Promotion to Premiership  ...............

Its as obvious as Tommy Craig shocking appointment that the whole Stubbs apt was doomed............... a hell of a lot of player power in 2014-2015, added with BOD wanting out and ridiculous club speculation with consortiums, this year its just the Stubbs scenario....... I do hope- that the BOD do an analysis on anything they could have/ should have done different ........... this was Gordon's apt Rae wasnt

Next apt is crucial. Jack said from day dot we will be in Premiership. We need  a target for next manager, and he needs to talk about it every game , the players need to focus, whether its 6th or 10th , it just needs out there  .................. that way the fans, players buy in, ownership is shared , after all if we are to be a medium/long term success we need buy in..........

One town One team- that's how we succeed

Edited by DougJamie

27 minutes ago, munoz said:

I think some are slightly blinkered by Jim Goodwin and their memories of him. 

As some have said , now is not the right time for him. He even suggested that himself the last time round. 

Last time round is very different from this time, however.

12 hours ago, lenziebud said:
18 hours ago, LargsBud said:

It will need to be someone who knows the Scottish game inside out. That was the main stipulation the board had when appointing Stubbs. Which is why Kluivert and Guti didn't get a look in. 

They wanted him to do the same as Ross did and use his contacts in Scotland to overhaul the squad. He pretty much made his bed when he done the opposite of that and signed a bunch of diddies from England. 

Can see it being McIntyre. Seems really uninspiring but since we are in desperate times he might be the best option.

Why is Jim McIntyre uninspiring ?.

Seen this said by a number of folks on here. Just don't get it. We are St Mirren, not Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc. Jim McIntrye in what he has done in his management career is a perfect fit IMO. He will be hungry after RC debacle and want to show again what he is made of. He did as good a job as could be expected of him at RC, so I don't really get this uninspiring stuff. He's more inspiring for me than the managers of Motherwell, Hamilton, Dundee etc. If we could get a Stevie Clark then great but I doubt it given current situation. Billy Davies for me if the only manager who is up there with Clark and who's record as a manager is vastly better, but he seems to be a non starter cause he rejected  us when marooned at the bottom of the Championship, saying he can do better and quite right to IMO.

So if there is nobody else on the table with the profile of Clark etc, then what the heck is wrong with McIntrye ?. 

Also why do we assume that McIntrye would be the slightest bit interested in us given his initial rejection for Stubbs. I think i know what I'd say to SMFC board after that !

I loved the way you argued 'why not Jim McIntrye' ; so effectively I was beginning to think you might be his agent in disguise and then you made everything in the garden rosy, by explaining why he wouldn't be interested, who needs people to respond, quite obviously you don't.  :lol:

Just as an aside; I would have to agree with virtually all of your pretty reasonable assessment of the bloke and I don't know why, but not for me thank you

4 hours ago, Drew said:
4 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think that's where I am right now, too.

Remember that statement he made right after his unsuccessful interview? Full of honesty and integrity, he pressed all the right buttons. I feel like he'd be the sort of guy who would treat our squad properly, manage them excellently and get the best out of them.

I'm pretty sure he only didn't get the job at the time because of his contacts and specific knowledge of our game, which is now irrelevant in the situation we're in anyway.

Kearney for me, too.

I think that would be a bit of a punt (aye, I appreciate they all are).

Has never worked in Scotland as far as I'm aware, so have to wonder if he would know what is required. Do we know for sure that he could galvanise the squad? Would he command the respect of the players?

Lots of whataboutery, I know, but somehow I feel we need a manager in who will know what the job entails from day one. That's not to say that this guy wouldn't, but I'm not convinced, to be honest.

He is gaining a bit of support on here and I can see why, good reputation, sounds also as if he gave a good interview last time; but unfortunately the same issue re lack of knowledge of the Scottish game still matters and possibly even more now, he could well be worth a punt as Drew thinks,  BUT perhaps a punt too far

AND he ain't GOODY :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

What a mess we're in, no point blaming the board/Stubbs, we are where we are.

Unfortunately we, IMO, will struggle to attract anyone of any proven pedigree.

It'll go like this, we'll appoint almost anyone who is up for grabs, Stubbs will be blamed until January, or further, depending on where we are in the league.

I think, even in the middle of this depressing situation, we could still escape relegation as Dundee, Hamilton and Livingston will still be in our sights, especially if the support get back to the levels of last season where they were the 12th man.

Surviving this season was always going to be difficult, if we stay up then we can start to build, aiming for that"next level". :wink:

I really an concerned here.... not about our new manager it's you.. you have become all reasonable again.  Did you find your pills ?  B)

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The board who created all this mess are going to have to really sugar coat their offer to any interested, and half decent manager to actually take the job! Yes 'someone' will take it, but the board are the ones under the microscope now. If they pick, or are left with Just anyone..? Then their time is up.

any manager taking the job will know they are most likely looking at being relegated, even at this stage of the season. If they cant get the team in a position with half a chance come December, then the board are unlikely to give them a budget to overhaul the squad yet again in the hope of staying up. So how, and to who do you sell that potential career-ender?

you can chuck more wages at the new guy to just take it, but anyone with a bit of pedigree/potential can afford to bide their time on that front.

you can give assurances that even if their relegated, you will retain them to build for the future, but having just bagged someone for failing after four league games makes that look a hollow promise.

you could sell it as a stepping stone, a chance to re-start a management career etc.. etc.. but read the above! With no budget, a mismatched and divided squad, your first game possibly against Celtic.. then it looks like the ultimate hospital pass.

we can all bounce names of who we would prefer to be the next incumbent, but think.... given our predicament, position and perilous state. Who could be convinced to take it?

does Goody want to comeback as a legend, then get the shit kicked out of him week after week as he tries to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

does McIntyre fancy jumping back into a club, in the same, or perhaps worse state than the one he was sacked from, and then potentially be relegated?

Kearney who is flying high, stock rising... will he see it as the same opportunity it was in the summer? Maybe better to bide his time for something he can at least shape in the short term?

I think the more realistic question is not 'who would we like?' But... 'who the f**k with anything about them can be persuaded to take it?'

I can see you have been taking your pills, apart from the first paragraph, which only exists in your fantasy world I actually think the rest of the post is reasonable, I don't necessarily agree with all but it is a point of view and well put

The reason your first paragraph is 'let's be kind and say wrong' is that the board is there at the discretion of the owner who ultimately controls all decisions.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

The difference for Goodwin now, as opposed to earlier in the year, is that he wouldn't have such big shoes to fill.

Following on from a very successful manager was always likely to be a big ask, especially for a relatively inexperienced manager, and perhaps he didn't fancy that pressure. Now, however, whoever comes in will have to do catastrophically badly to be worse than his predecessor.

Our aspirations are a bit lower now, I would have thought (ie - survival). That would have been enough for many in any event, but certainly must be for all but the most delusional post-Stubbs.

Anyway, its all ifs and buts just now.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Yeah I know. Now he has very little scope to bring in who he wants. 

Or, if you choose, you can look at it from the perspective above.

No-one coming in has scope to bring their own players just now, so I would hardly consider that the most telling point.

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

Or, if you choose, you can look at it from the perspective above.

No-one coming in has scope to bring their own players just now, so I would hardly consider that the most telling point.

Goodwin being appointed might work , who knows. For me though at this time , I can't help but think it's a gamble (as all are) we can't afford to take. As it stands we don't even know if he wants it. 

1 hour ago, MWISAINT71 said:
3 hours ago, cambiebud said:

Surely people suggesting Gus are at it? Anyone but him if we are serious about moving forward. Goodwin is too inexperienced imo. An experienced manager who will motivate this squad, keep us in the frame til January and able to upgrade then. If such a person exists......

I will probably get shot down in flames for this suggestion but What about Yogi, he'll take no sh!t, get us organised and from I can recall his teams played no bad football. The downside is he's been out the game for a while but I personally think he'll install the passion that we have been sadly missing and what I think that we as supporters all respond to.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! I couldn't BARE BEAR it if he got the job  :P

Edited by jaybee
tooooooo excited couldn't sperrrrl

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Goodwin being appointed might work , who knows. For me though at this time , I can't help but think it's a gamble (as all are) we can't afford to take. As it stands we don't even know if he wants it. 

Indeed. He hasn't ruled himself out yet, right enough.

I see the PDE/DR are claiming that McIntyre isn't in the running. If it is between Goodwin and Gus, it is a no-brainer for me. Has to be Jim.

1 hour ago, div said:

St.Mirren offer an absolutely fantastic opportunity for any prospective manager.

A club with no debt, with money in the bank.

A club with a place in the Premiership.

A club with a dedicated training ground.

A club with a young and ambitious board of directors.

A club with a proven youth academy, one that has delivered over £2m in transfer income in the last few years.

A club with a stadium that is still under 10 years old.

A club that is well on the way to becoming fan owned.

A club with a record number of season ticket holders this season.

A club whose supporters have demonstrated that they will absolutely adore a manager that they can identify with.

A club with a tremendous and proud history.

There will rightly be a queue of managers absolutely desperate to take control of our fantastic club.

Where do I sign and how much do I have to pay?  B)  AND can I have GOODY as my BOSS

Edited by jaybee
brain kicked in

Lots of talk about Kearney's "lack of experience". As pointed out he has 7 years experience. He would be moving over from Northern Ireland, it's not exactly that different from the Scottish League, some are talking as if we are looking at bringing in a rugby coach from Western Samoa.

He will also have plenty experience in coaching part time dross, which fits in perfectly with Stubbs recruitment policy. 

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Indeed. He hasn't ruled himself out yet, right enough.

I see the PDE/DR are claiming that McIntyre isn't in the running. If it is between Goodwin and Gus, it is a no-brainer for me. Has to be Jim.

Definitely agree with that , but hopefully more than 2 people are interested. We don't have to go down the St Mirren connection route just cause things didn't work out with Stubbs. 

3 hours ago, billyg said:

Absolutely , we are ! Jack Ross took over a club in a perilous position , turned them round , and got the plaudits and a big pay day. Now that same situation has presented itself once again to anyone with a bit about them.

So its the guy from Alloa again?

do you think this board will stick by whoever comes in if they lose as many as Ross did? Its not me who needs convincing, its the people the board want. What are they to make of the club at this time? Is it something that will further/establish their career, or waiting on the hangman's noose?

Stubbs got it wrong, big time. He didnt give himself the job, nor pick the players left to him.

41 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Jim Goodwin would be my preferred appointment. Even better if he brought in Thommo as his number two. Wouldn’t happen but love it if it did.

Wouldn’t be disappointed if McIntyre got the job though.

Agree totally with first statement

Devastated by second

Just proves that some people really are paranoid  :wasntme