Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

28 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

I must admit I would like Goody as manager. If we don't get him in someone else will. GUS and Danny Lennon would be a backward step. Think it should be a quick appointment then the new guy has nearly 2 weeks to work with players.

our two, proven and most successful recent ex managers would be a backward step, but bringing in a former player is looking to the future?  Where is the evidwnce that Goodwin is a manager?

And if the new manager lands on Friday he has four working days to get the team ready for Celtic

1 hour ago, HSS said:

And yet some "Fans" on here think we're in a great position just now.Only 2 points behind Aberdeen,Hibs and sevco.Some seem to think we're doing so well we were wrong to sack the manager.

If by any if that are you asking if i thought Stubbs should have been given more time to sort out his mess, then yes i think he should have.

failing that the board should have shown respect, and thought how their actions would appear to potential recruits, by not leaking a series of smears and stories to fuel the mob, and simply sacked him straight up.

and yet some fans on here think The dressing room is divided between the duds Stubbs signed, the ones the captain has publicly blamed. And that some of the existing players downed tools.

i dont know about you? But I neither hired, nor fired the manager.... is this all my fault?

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Lots of talk about Kearney's "lack of experience". As pointed out he has 7 years experience. He would be moving over from Northern Ireland, it's not exactly that different from the Scottish League, some are talking as if we are looking at bringing in a rugby coach from Western Samoa.

He will also have plenty experience in coaching part time dross, which fits in perfectly with Stubbs recruitment policy. 

Three months till the next transfer window - anyone coming in will have to hope that the players & their friends are over their huff.

I'd prefer Kearney to an old lag like McIntyre & think it's still a bit soon for Goodwin.

Mellon's still my first choice!

melon-man-1-hoodies-men-s-hoodie.jpg

17 minutes ago, munoz said:

Goodwin being appointed might work , who knows. For me though at this time , I can't help but think it's a gamble (as all are) we can't afford to take. As it stands we don't even know if he wants it. 

Gawd I ate people who are being too realistic,  let us wallow in our anticipation GOODY, GOODY GOODY :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So its the guy from Alloa again?

do you think this board will stick by whoever comes in if they lose as many as Ross did? Its not me who needs convincing, its the people the board want. What are they to make of the club at this time? Is it something that will further/establish their career, or waiting on the hangman's noose?

Stubbs got it wrong, big time. He didnt give himself the job, nor pick the players left to him.

True, but he brought in such an unbalanced mix of lower league players (some of whom may yet come good of course) and for whatever reason choose the to present the wrong demeanour to the dressing room and made a pigs arse of it all round re the fans

I'll keep saying it Goodwins CV only consists of finishing 2nd in League One, failing to get promoted, finishing 3rd in League One promoted via the playoffs. Removed as a first team coach at us for being awful. I wouldn't say any of his achievements scream out Premiership managerial target. If he hadn't played for us, or if he hadn't been part of a team that won a cup he'd be a rank outsider.

That's a CV the board should only be considering if there is literally no one else out there. I'd be disappointed if we were looking at that standard of candidate we looked at if Ross had left mid season in the Championship never mind the position we are in now.

I know people will look at things differently, but if having played for us is preferential for candidates then we have a real problem.

That is a ridiculously reductive summary of events there, tbh.

He was completely out his depth and an can easily be described as useless on and off the field that season.

And that was a team in rebuild mode, he was part of the backroom staff that until Stubbs is arguably one of the worst the club has seen in modern times.

Whit ur yi bangin on aboot?
The season when he was coach to Tommy Craig. The season that we relied only McLean to attempt to drag us through games as Goodwin spent the majority of the season being retrospectively punished for idiotic moments.

I don't think anyone can argue with any of what has been said about that season, Goodwin was part of that backroom staff, and was deemed not fit for the role when Craig was sacked.

I don't see how anyone can argue with any of that.

But the reality is he's only being mentioned because of one cup win, which he wasn't even close to being a key player in. If anyone was handed a nameless CV of his with his accomplishments it'd be massively down the pile for wanted candidates especially at this moment in time.

The season when he was coach to Tommy Craig. The season that we relied only McLean to attempt to drag us through games as Goodwin spent the majority of the season being retrospectively punished for idiotic moments.

I don't think anyone can argue with any of what has been said about that season, Goodwin was part of that backroom staff, and was deemed not fit for the role when Craig was sacked.

But the reality is he's only being mentioned because of one cup win, which he wasn't even close to being a key player in. If anyone was handed a nameless CV of his with his accomplishments it'd be massively down the pile for wanted candidates especially at this moment in time.

Alloa finished runners up in his first season. Only Livingston finished ahead.

Last season they were 3rd, behind the 2 big teams in that league, Ayr & Raith. Got them promoted from the play offs.

That looks like not a bad managerial CV to me!

He was captain of the side that won the cup. One of the central defenders. Pretty much a key player!

9 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

There are many many professionals in the game present and past who would love a national cup winners medal

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Last season they were 3rd, behind the 2 big teams in that league, Ayr & Raith. Got them promoted from the play offs.

Exactly. He's done quite well with Alloa in fairness and kept them going as one of Scotland's best part time sides. How often have we seen these sides go high then crash down? Stirling Albion in L2, Brechin were awful last season, Dumbarton haven't handled life in L1 too well. Cowden keep finishing bottom in L2. It's quite hard to sustain being one of the best part time sides in Scotland, only Dumbarton have done it better and now look at them.

He was captain of the side that won the cup. One of the central defenders. Pretty much a key player!

If that's the level of CV we are aiming at for a top flight manager I'm worried. Brechin managed to get promoted ahead of him in his first season. He's also never had to rebuild a team.

I'd argue Samson, McAusland, Dummett, Newton, McGinn, McGowan, Teale, Thompson and Goncalves were much more key in the semi final and final.

But thankfully being a player has literally nothing to do with a being a manager.
There are many many professionals in the game present and past who would love a national cup winners medal
Playing medals don't count for anything when appointing a manager. Nor should who you play for.

31 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

He was completely out his depth and an can easily be described as useless on and off the field that season.

And that was a team in rebuild mode, he was part of the backroom staff that until Stubbs is arguably one of the worst the club has seen in modern times.

My recollection is that it was the indiscipline onfield that lost him the coaching role. 

Relegation in 2014/15 was mainly down to us not being able to replace Thompson's 13 league goals per season.