Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Led to believe the idea of Jim Goodwin to St Mirren might not be as set in stone as many think. This from Twitter for me a bit of a worry. Knocked back Hibs, Waked away from Dundee. But Jim loves St Mirren. 

Dundee never offered him the job.

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Led to believe the idea of Jim Goodwin to St Mirren might not be as set in stone as many think. This from Twitter for me a bit of a worry. Knocked back Hibs, Waked away from Dundee. But Jim loves St Mirren. 

Goodwin will be in charge before the weekend, nothing to worry about.

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

IOBS in changing direction shocker...

”Led to believe” and “...Twitter” probably shouldn’t go hand in hand.

Should the facts that Goody was unable to beat a shit saint team in the cup after being 2 up with 15mins to go not go against him He would do for me since they don't seem to be anybody else that I can think off that would do for us.

Our record of going through managers is embarrassing. Pre season has started with no manager, no new players of note (who’s call was it to sign Lyness?), whoever comes in will immediately be playing catch up.... making desperate signings who won’t get a full pre season together. Has this BoD learned nothing? Exactly the same mess as last year.. more money thrown away on pay offs that could have better been spent on players, or facilities or.... whatever.. Rather than get too hung up on whether or not Mr Goodwin is daft enough to take the leap... and be our next bargain basement appointment, perhaps we should be questioning what Mr Scott and Mr Fitzpatrick are doing to our club?

27 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Our record of going through managers is embarrassing. Pre season has started with no manager, no new players of note (who’s call was it to sign Lyness?), whoever comes in will immediately be playing catch up.... making desperate signings who won’t get a full pre season together. Has this BoD learned nothing? Exactly the same mess as last year.. more money thrown away on pay offs that could have better been spent on players, or facilities or.... whatever.. Rather than get too hung up on whether or not Mr Goodwin is daft enough to take the leap... and be our next bargain basement appointment, perhaps we should be questioning what Mr Scott and Mr Fitzpatrick are doing to our club?

That's not true - McPherson is there exactly for situations like this.

Whoever the new manager is, they are coming in to a list of targets who have likely already been contacted and so are not going in cold or panic buying. Every transfer window from here on out (and January) is a joint venture. There is no real catch up to be played and most certainly not on the scale of last season.

No doubt people will criticise this approach but it's a damn sight better than ripping the book up and starting again.

GM had a very good signing record on the whole as St. Mirren manager and one thing that's not in doubt is that he has an eye for a player.

Whoever the new manager is, they are coming in to a list of targets who have likely already been contacted and so are not going in cold or panic buying. Every transfer window from here on out (and January) is a joint venture. There is no real catch up to be played and most certainly not on the scale of last season.

No doubt people will criticise this approach but it's a damn sight better than ripping the book up and starting again.
GM had a very good signing record on the whole as St. Mirren manager and one thing that's not in doubt is that he has an eye for a player.
It would be interesting to hear how we sourced Hladky, Popescu, Muzek, etc.

Brad Lyons was clearly Oran but I'd kind of assumed the manager was pointed in the direction of most of the others. Huge credit has to go to whoever trawled European football to find them! Gus?

Pre season has started with no manager, no new players of note (who’s call was it to sign Lyness?)

Oran, in conjunction with Jamie Langfield, you would assume.

To be fair, I think one of Goodwin's first questions will be what is Gus's exact role? Reading between the lines I think he played his part in the end of Kearney.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

It would be interesting to hear how we sourced Hladky, Popescu, Muzek, etc.

Brad Lyons was clearly Oran but I'd kind of assumed the manager was pointed in the direction of most of the others. Huge credit has to go to whoever trawled European football to find them! Gus?

You'd imagine Gus had a major hand in it. He took a lot of criticism for working the same old markets but his signing record was actually very good and on the rare occasion he did bring in a player from abroad (Miranda, Dorman..... let's not mention Tonet though), it usually worked out pretty well. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Speculations at best. :lol:

Also managers would prefer to have been, at least, part of the scouting process as he will be the person setting out the team.

To suggest we are not in a position of catch up is, frankly, wishful thinking as we are currently, doing exactly that with most teams. 

Speculations at best. 
Also managers would prefer to have been, at least, part of the scouting process as he will be the person setting out the team.
To suggest we are not in a position of catch up is, frankly, wishful thinking as we are currently, doing exactly that with most teams. 
Even with us playing catch up & despite what Top4Tony thinks we are basically in a league of 4 next season where 1st or 2nd will do surely we are good enough to finish above Livingston,Hamilton & Ross County.

There was obviously alot of ifs and buts last season but we were a solitary point away from 10th despite hardly winning a game until around March.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Even with us playing catch up & despite what Top4Tony thinks we are basically in a league of 4 next season where 1st or 2nd will do surely we are good enough to finish above Livingston,Hamilton & Ross County.

There was obviously alot of ifs and buts last season but we were a solitary point away from 10th despite hardly winning a game until around March.

Good point, pardon the pun, but the league is what it is, played over 38 games.

There was some trumpet who said if we'd played another game we would have been 10th, if yer granny etc. 

We are almost into July and are behind in making any new additions to the squad. 

No manager, no new players and there's no doubt, IMO, this puts us in a position of catch up.

I do like "Top4Tony"......................I may borrow that in the future. 

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Speculations at best. :lol:

It's not speculative at all. When Gus was hired, it was mentioned at the Q&A that one of the reasons he was brought in was to avoid any disruption caused by managerial  changes as the time between JR and AS had a massive negative impact. 

AS came in and literally started from scratch with very little time and the overall personnel recruited reflected that. 

What else can we realistically do in this situation? Let the new boss pick up from scratch? Scrap the lot? Or more likely, let the manager  come on board and have input to a list of players already identified (as we've been told that the recruiting process for new players is well underway a couple of weeks ago by our now former manager, so it's safe to say that this list does exist) as well as add potential targets he himself wants us to focus on. 

Alright, I concede there is a bit of catching up but nowhere near the level of last season when we had literally nobody at the helm to drive forward for targets for a long time. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

It's not speculative at all. When Gus was hired, it was mentioned at the Q&A that one of the reasons he was brought in was to avoid any disruption caused by managerial  changes as the time between JR and AS had a massive negative impact. 

AS came in and literally started from scratch with very little time and the overall personnel recruited reflected that. 

What else can we realistically do in this situation? Let the new boss pick up from scratch? Scrap the lot? Or more likely, let the manager  come on board and have input to a list of players already identified (as we've been told that the recruiting process for new players is well underway a couple of weeks ago by our now former manager, so it's safe to say that this list does exist) as well as add potential targets he himself wants us to focus on. 

Alright, I concede there is a bit of catching up but nowhere near the level of last season when we had literally nobody at the helm to drive forward for targets for a long time. 

So where, exactly, are we in this signing frenzy? 

I'm not saying where we are is a disaster but only an eejit would not see not having a manager is probably damaging? 

I agree we can only do what we can but the decision to let Kearney go has NOT helped our preparation. 

key point is this situation, IMO, could have been avoided with some serious effort from the chairman.

I, unlike some :rolleyes:, have nothing against GS, but this is down to him as he could, IMO, made more real effort to keep Kearney. 

just a wee thing about us being 'behind' in transfer dealings.

OK was the manager till this week. Did he make any efforts to sign any players for the coming season? did he make any plans for season 2019/20?
Or did he not bother as he knew he was going back to Northern Ireland?
But, of course GS and Top Four Tony🤣 (love Tony by the way) should have noticed that.

I think the new manager can, very easily, quickly bring in the players required to make sure we finish top of our mini league of 4 and why not push for St J and Motherwell too?

10 hours ago, aldo_j said:

IOBS in changing direction shocker...

”Led to believe” and “...Twitter” probably shouldn’t go hand in hand.

Who is changing direction ? Jim Goodwin has always been my first choice. even over Oran go back through my history. That Twitter account is someone from Alloa . Feel free to keep typing pish.

Think its Croy to Queen Street Station by train then bike to Ralston. Still impressive. He is fast - shot past me in Glasgow and nearly made me drop my roll and crisps.
Yes I've seen him several times too. Very disciplined. Impressive!