Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

2 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

Paddy Connolly is the assistant at Alloa with Lee Sharp coach. Neither were appointed by Jim though.

Pretty sure he works/worked with Lee Sharp at Cadbury’s, so just assumed the link was there and he brought Sharp in.

Just now, aldo_j said:

Pretty sure he works/worked with Lee Sharp at Cadbury’s, so just assumed the link was there and he brought Sharp in.

Is it the same Lee sharp that played with buds,and was as bad as Bobby dawson and Gary bowman, my worst 3 buds!!!!

17 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

Absolutely buzzing if goody gets it,best young manager in Scotland by far,am never as excited as this but brilliant appointment, hopefully Houston doesn't come as assistant as always thought of him as a bellend

I honestly cannot think of a worse appointment than Goodwin...fills me with absolute dread..ear mark this post as "i told u so"...reasons will remain confidential...

4 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

I honestly cannot think of a worse appointment than Goodwin...fills me with absolute dread..ear mark this post as "i told u so"...reasons will remain confidential...

Tommy Craig.

a worse appointment that Goodwin.

Who would you have?

23 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

Is it the same Lee sharp that played with buds,and was as bad as Bobby dawson and Gary bowman, my worst 3 buds!!!!

The one and same!

I've seen worse but not much!

Also, I detested Gary Bowman but one of the worst 3 ever?! Jesus, he's not even in my top (bottom) 30! :lol: 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Led to believe the idea of Jim Goodwin to St Mirren might not be as set in stone as many think. This from Twitter for me a bit of a worry. Knocked back Hibs, Waked away from Dundee. But Jim loves St Mirren. 

Dundee never offered him the job.

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Led to believe the idea of Jim Goodwin to St Mirren might not be as set in stone as many think. This from Twitter for me a bit of a worry. Knocked back Hibs, Waked away from Dundee. But Jim loves St Mirren. 

Goodwin will be in charge before the weekend, nothing to worry about.

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

IOBS in changing direction shocker...

”Led to believe” and “...Twitter” probably shouldn’t go hand in hand.

Should the facts that Goody was unable to beat a shit saint team in the cup after being 2 up with 15mins to go not go against him He would do for me since they don't seem to be anybody else that I can think off that would do for us.

Our record of going through managers is embarrassing. Pre season has started with no manager, no new players of note (who’s call was it to sign Lyness?), whoever comes in will immediately be playing catch up.... making desperate signings who won’t get a full pre season together. Has this BoD learned nothing? Exactly the same mess as last year.. more money thrown away on pay offs that could have better been spent on players, or facilities or.... whatever.. Rather than get too hung up on whether or not Mr Goodwin is daft enough to take the leap... and be our next bargain basement appointment, perhaps we should be questioning what Mr Scott and Mr Fitzpatrick are doing to our club?

Our record of going through managers is embarrassing. Pre season has started with no manager, no new players of note (who’s call was it to sign Lyness?), whoever comes in will immediately be playing catch up.... making desperate signings who won’t get a full pre season together. Has this BoD learned nothing? Exactly the same mess as last year.. more money thrown away on pay offs that could have better been spent on players, or facilities or.... whatever.. Rather than get too hung up on whether or not Mr Goodwin is daft enough to take the leap... and be our next bargain basement appointment, perhaps we should be questioning what Mr Scott and Mr Fitzpatrick are doing to our club?

How do you know this? Maybe OK paid Saints to get out of his contract. Maybe nobody paid anybody. Only a select few know, and none of them are on here.

27 minutes ago, Robbie said:

That's not true - McPherson is there exactly for situations like this.

Whoever the new manager is, they are coming in to a list of targets who have likely already been contacted and so are not going in cold or panic buying. Every transfer window from here on out (and January) is a joint venture. There is no real catch up to be played and most certainly not on the scale of last season.

No doubt people will criticise this approach but it's a damn sight better than ripping the book up and starting again.

GM had a very good signing record on the whole as St. Mirren manager and one thing that's not in doubt is that he has an eye for a player.

Whoever the new manager is, they are coming in to a list of targets who have likely already been contacted and so are not going in cold or panic buying. Every transfer window from here on out (and January) is a joint venture. There is no real catch up to be played and most certainly not on the scale of last season.

No doubt people will criticise this approach but it's a damn sight better than ripping the book up and starting again.
GM had a very good signing record on the whole as St. Mirren manager and one thing that's not in doubt is that he has an eye for a player.
It would be interesting to hear how we sourced Hladky, Popescu, Muzek, etc.

Brad Lyons was clearly Oran but I'd kind of assumed the manager was pointed in the direction of most of the others. Huge credit has to go to whoever trawled European football to find them! Gus?

Pre season has started with no manager, no new players of note (who’s call was it to sign Lyness?)

Oran, in conjunction with Jamie Langfield, you would assume.

To be fair, I think one of Goodwin's first questions will be what is Gus's exact role? Reading between the lines I think he played his part in the end of Kearney.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

It would be interesting to hear how we sourced Hladky, Popescu, Muzek, etc.

Brad Lyons was clearly Oran but I'd kind of assumed the manager was pointed in the direction of most of the others. Huge credit has to go to whoever trawled European football to find them! Gus?

You'd imagine Gus had a major hand in it. He took a lot of criticism for working the same old markets but his signing record was actually very good and on the rare occasion he did bring in a player from abroad (Miranda, Dorman..... let's not mention Tonet though), it usually worked out pretty well. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Speculations at best. :lol:

Also managers would prefer to have been, at least, part of the scouting process as he will be the person setting out the team.

To suggest we are not in a position of catch up is, frankly, wishful thinking as we are currently, doing exactly that with most teams.