Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

When asked about the prospect of Davies as manager by a (non-Saints supporting) colleague, I managed to suss out my reasoning behind still preferring Yogi.

On a scale of bland (MacPherson) to a bit out there (Davies) appointments, Yogi falls somewhere between the two - roughly in the middle, perhaps.

As such, I'm going for the best fit compromise option.

Article in the Nottingham Post regarding Billy Davies having a chat with Gordon Scott. Gordon is quoted saying there is 25 to 30 applicants to look at , that he was hoping to have a new manager in place for the Falkirk game that this will be highly unlikely given the number of applicants. This would mean Gordon will interview most of them by the sounds of it.

34 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Davies has had football success but alienated fans, media and BODs. Would be a bold move but do we need more madness around the place?

As suggested earlier, the ideal for me is someone who doesn't feature at either extreme of the Fitba Manager Personality Continuum (FMPC).

Gus features at the lower end of the FMPC. Steady enough, but uninspiring, and lacking in dynamism. I can't imagine such an appointment would give the place much of a lift.

Davies, however, would seem to find himself towards the upper end of the FMPC, not quite in the crazy as a box of frogs category, but in the moderately unhinged bracket. He'd certainly introduce more than a frisson of excitement to proceedings, but might tip the club into chaos mode.

Yogi Hughes takes up the middle ground. Never a dull moment, but a safe distance from batshit meltdown territory.

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Article in the Nottingham Post regarding Billy Davies having a chat with Gordon Scott. Gordon is quoted saying there is 25 to 30 applicants to look at , that he was hoping to have a new manager in place for the Falkirk game that this will be highly unlikely given the number of applicants. This would mean Gordon will interview most of them by the sounds of it.

Cant see Gordon interviewing most of them, think more likely he will sift and select the ones to approach he believes 'could' work, find out if they want to buy-in to our new beginning, then interview the ones who meet that critical, basic condition.

we absolutely cannot continue to employ managers who all want to do it differently, the club should decide the footbaling philosphy and the manager has to fit that, not the other way round. Still no guarantees said individual will bring sucess, but at least you are only seeking to employ people who have been selected against our criteria, not their agenda. That type of appointment has brought us to where we are today.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/saint-mirren-latest-former-club-8881890?platform=hootsuite

Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County boss Billy Davies also held talks with the club last night.

Meanwhile, Gus MacPherson remains the frontrunner in the betting for the Greenhill Road hotseat.

MacPherson has admitted he understands why he has been heavily linked with a return to Paisley.

But he has stressed that no contact has been made between himself and the club.

John Hughes and Jack Ross are still among the early favourites, while Clyde manager Barry Ferguson has seen his odds cut overnight.

Ferguson was previously linked with the position prior to Alex Rae being appointed last December, but remained at Broadwood with the League Two charges.

Other names that have entered the fray included famed former Buddies midfielder Billy Stark and ex-Celtic stalwart Peter Grant, with the former currently assistant manager to Darren Young at Albion Rovers.

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

tmp_15716-sketch-1474454028755-2027139141.png

Good to know. Folk on that Facebook group were quickly scathing that the job is now one than no manager in Scotland would feasibly want.

I'd like Billy Davies in charge to be honest because of his contacts within the game but agree with a lot of others that Hughes is the one who brings more potential stability.

Wouldn't rule out Frank Nutall either just yet. My £20 on him at 8/1 could yet come to fruition.

I'm feeling encouraged that Gordon Scott is taking the time to carry out a detailed recruitment process to ensure we get the right man in place.

The fact he is talking to the likes of Hughes and Davies indicates he himself knows we must have an experienced appointment.

I'm feeling encouraged that Gordon Scott is taking the time to carry out a detailed recruitment process to ensure we get the right man in place.

The fact he is talking to the likes of Hughes and Davies indicates he himself knows we must have an experienced appointment.

Either one of them would do me Tambo.

Rumour on the Facebook group (I know, I know) that George Burley is the latest to have informal talks.

George Burley is someone I rate highly both as a person and as a manager. I'd be delighted if he was to get it. Infact I think he would inspire me to go back to watching Saints both home and away as much as work allows.

He's certainly got experience of developing kids in a first team environment, tries to play an entertaining style of football as we saw at Ayr, Ipswich and Hearts, and at Scotland where it unfortunately backfired on him. He's also got the proven ability to be a major asset when it comes to restructuring the club.

I would have assumed Burley would have been way outside St Mirren's league but if he's not he'd be a superb choice

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

Still Yogi for me. Davies has left a trail of anger in his wake with many allegations of being paranoid and alienating everyone around him. May be bollocks but for me its a bit risky as I reckon we need stability at the moment after more than enough years of madness around the place.

Edit to ADD: I am just posting a link here of one journalist's view of Davies....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10718866/Billy-Davies-was-destined-for-failure-at-Nottingham-Forest-after-a-year-of-drama-fallouts-and-media-blackouts.html

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

4 hours ago, Kendo said:

Do you really believe that or is it just wishful thinking? 

I have seen him doing a spot of gardening if that counts. 

I reckon he must have had some significant contract pay offs in his time and will be financially well off. When in that position you can pick and choose what jobs to apply for. Perhaps he is at a stage in his career where a local job would suit him better as he has spent a lot of time away from his family pursuing a career down south.

4 hours ago, Kendo said:

I agree, the problem I have with Billy Davies is if he's so good then why has he been out of football for so long and prepared to come back to a struggling championship club like ours? Surely he would have a lot of better offers than ours lined up? If not why not? I'm very wary of this.

Yeah, it's weird how he hasn't ended up in another job - by the same token it's weird how some guys who are fairly useless keep getting sacked and keep landing new jobs. I see George Burley being thrown into the mix - he's been out of work for even longer. What's the story there?

I still can't see Davies happening, however if he wants to use as a stepping stone then fair enough - as folk have pointed out, it's decades since any of our managers left for a better opportunity. It's also ideal for Davies because we're bottom of the league so there's plenty of scope for improvement he can claim credit for.

Would I be keen to go watch a Gus McP team , nah, all a bit meh. Been there seen it, suffered it out. Granted there were two good days in his tenure. Would I go and watch a Billy Davies team, yup, a lot more pressing and exciting I would think. That answers my basic philosophy to attending games.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yeah, it's weird how he hasn't ended up in another job - by the same token it's weird how some guys who are fairly useless keep getting sacked and keep landing new jobs. I see George Burley being thrown into the mix - he's been out of work for even longer. What's the story there?

I still can't see Davies happening, however if he wants to use as a stepping stone then fair enough - as folk have pointed out, it's decades since any of our managers left for a better opportunity. It's also ideal for Davies because we're bottom of the league so there's plenty of scope for improvement he can claim credit for.

Interesting choices. An abundance of talent.