Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

I know everyone is wanting someone to 'get us out of trouble' but is it just me, or is it too early in the season to be talking like that? If it was November time, I would agree. But I don't want a manager to come in and get us safely mid table - I think there's still enough time left in the season to do better than that. 

I think we should get someone in, not just to steady the ship, but to get us firing on all cylinders. Get us playing for wins in every game. I think we have a squad that can get us up there challenging (we do need an extra CM though). 

Maybe I'm just an optimist. 

Not Hughes, not Goodwin, not Thompson not Ross.

Get someone in that's tactically astute. Can get the most out of our limited players. Ideally someone who's not been involved in the roundabout of Scottish managers

Why not see who shows an interest?

In their time I was happy with both Danny and Gus for contrasting reasons but to have one come back again would take a brave board.

John Hughes or the other well known names, I doubt.

Likely options might include Jack Ross supported by Jim Goodwin as Player Coach, Fowler or Holt.

Compensation for Ross and Goodwin could be the permanent transfer of Gordon. Just saying.

The others don't need compensation to be paid.

Outside choice -- Aitken from Dumbarton.

Can't see it being someone in a job given we've just paid to boot a manager and his assistant, even if they were only on contracts until the end of the year.

I wouldn't be averse to Hughes, however I'd be surprised if he'd take it. He left a Premiership club last season because he was frustrated by budget constraints - aside from needing a wage, why would he take on a similar situation at a club in a lower league? I was talking to a Caley Thistle fan last night who says Hughes is smarter than people give him credit for (insert smarter than the average bear joke here) but not as smart as he himself thinks he is.

Hope it's not Gus. Doubt it'll be Calderwood. Don't think holding off and waiting to see who comes forward in the next week or so is a bad idea.

EDIT: Must be about the first time in the last two years we've changed managers and there isn't an immediate clamour for Thompson to get the job.

Edited by Stu

I think we might have approached someone last week, no proof just a hunch. The fact that Alex Rae was sacked so suddenly leads me to believe this. I think we will have what appears to be a quick appointment this week but I think some work before hand will have taken place to sound our man out.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Drew... no offence mate... but that must be about six or 8 anti-Gus posts in an hour!

Maybe being a tad oversensitive to a name on a list?

Besides... who is to say he hasn't learned and become potential manager of the year with the right club?

No offence taken, but it has to be said that I won't be the first on here to tear the arse out of a theme, eh?

3 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

as said on previous post,can't be Fullarton as he on gardening leave till end of season after getting sacked at notts county,said so himself on of the ball 3 weeks ago

Surely he would just write that off if he wanted to work though ? 

If Gus had left us and gone on to have had stellar success elsewhere then mibbees aye.      But ....... NAW !

& then there`s    21st March 2010 <_>

Exactly. Whilst he has done well at QP, he's still the manager of the team sitting 6th in the league of the 3rd tier of Scottish Football. Hardly where we should be looking for a manager to take us back to the top flight..!

Just now, paul torfason said:

do we really want him mate,terrible record at county,protests outside to get him sacked,imagine his gardening leave dosh better than our wages,might b happy doing nowt and getting paid

Hey , I only mentioned his name as a guy who has done the work.

Notts County as a club have stumbled from one disaster to another and moving from Forest as a new manager can't have gone down well for him. 

They've hardly pulled up trees since he left  and appointed other managers...so I'd not write him off as a failure.

Yogi Hughes got sacked after seeing Hartlepool relegated and he came good at Caley?

2 minutes ago, The Real Zippy said:

Please don't let it be Fullarton. God no, please.

I've seen him twice at our games (including Saturday) and I honestly wouldn't have an issue with him taking over given his background. 

What wouldnt you like? To be honest , I don't think he'll get it so I don't think it'll be an issue