Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

Yeah, it's weird how he hasn't ended up in another job - by the same token it's weird how some guys who are fairly useless keep getting sacked and keep landing new jobs. I see George Burley being thrown into the mix - he's been out of work for even longer. What's the story there?

I still can't see Davies happening, however if he wants to use as a stepping stone then fair enough - as folk have pointed out, it's decades since any of our managers left for a better opportunity. It's also ideal for Davies because we're bottom of the league so there's plenty of scope for improvement he can claim credit for.

Surely everyone knows the story with Burley. In his last job he was sacked after 2 games with the allegation being he was enjoying the local Cypriot nightlife a bit too much. At Hearts he was supposedly sacked for refusing to go to an alcohol clinic with Romanov alleging Burley had a serious drink problem. Whether there's substance you those stories or not it's always going to have a damaging effect on his reputation but even Alex Ferguson use to talk about sitting down to share a post match bottle of wine with opposition managers.

Fact is though he always set his teams out to attack and he developed and transformed teams without the need for big budgets.

On 20 September 2016 at 10:24 AM, DougJamie said:

He got us to a cup final???? He got us promotion and kept us up  years. What do you want Champions League FFS. That's some of you joke of supporters problem... your expectations are way out of our budget. Try Man City !!

GUS , does great at keeping clean sheets or just losing a goal . That only takes you so far . Walter Smith completely out thought him when he came down from the stand at Hampden and took over from Ally McCoist in the Cup Final . They were down to 9 men so simple 2 spare men stay wide DONT come inside and its a straight 9 v 9 . Why keep going the merry go round route ? Same as John Hughes , if he's not good enough for Inverness he's not good enough for us ! Terry Butcher built that team NOT John Hughes so if it's not Billy Davies then give a chance to someone new and young 

The shortlist for the job back in May 2015 was Ian Murray, Gary Teale, Ian McParland, and Ray McKinnon. 

The names linked with the post this time around: Billy Davies, John Hughes, Frank Nuttall, and George Burley (rumoured). Is it just me, or is that list significantly better than back in 2015? Good to see we're taking our time with this appointment as well.

7 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Surely everyone knows the story with Burley. In his last job he was sacked after 2 games with the allegation being he was enjoying the local Cypriot nightlife a bit too much. At Hearts he was supposedly sacked for refusing to go to an alcohol clinic with Romanov alleging Burley had a serious drink problem. Whether there's substance you those stories or not it's always going to have a damaging effect on his reputation but even Alex Ferguson use to talk about sitting down to share a post match bottle of wine with opposition managers.

Fact is though he always set his teams out to attack and he developed and transformed teams without the need for big budgets.

He was horrible at international level but I find it astounding that some folk on the Supporters page (I know, I know) would want to knock back the notion of a guy who was consistently successful at a high club level in England for the best part of 15 years.

I've always rated him at club level.

1 minute ago, ulysses said:

The shortlist for the job back in May 2015 was Ian Murray, Gary Teale, Ian McParland, and Ray McKinnon. 

The names linked with the post this time around: Billy Davies, John Hughes, Frank Nuttall, and George Burley (rumoured). Is it just me, or is that list significantly better than back in 2015? Good to see we're taking our time with this appointment as well.

Someone on the supporters page (I KNOW!!!!) downplaying Nutall's pedigree by comparing his achievements of winning two top flight titles and being part of a last 4 African Champions League side to his old man managing Glennifer Thistle in the 80s. :lol:

I'm getting off that frigging page, honestly.

Someone on the supporters page (I KNOW!!!!) downplaying Nutall's pedigree by comparing his achievements of winning two top flight titles and being part of a last 4 African Champions League side to his old man managing Glennifer Thistle in the 80s. :lol:

I'm getting off that frigging page, honestly.

It's full of absolute roasters, makes for hilarious reading sometimes.

21 minutes ago, Loyal Supporter said:

GUS , does great at keeping clean sheets or just losing a goal . That only takes you so far . Walter Smith completely out thought him when he came down from the stand at Hampden and took over from Ally McCoist in the Cup Final . They were down to 9 men so simple 2 spare men stay wide DONT come inside and its a straight 9 v 9 . Why keep going the merry go round route ? Same as John Hughes , if he's not good enough for Inverness he's not good enough for us ! Terry Butcher built that team NOT John Hughes so if it's not Billy Davies then give a chance to someone new and young 

Hughes left Inverness . He was definitely good enough for them .

Would be delighted with either Billy Davies or John Hughes, they could make a real difference for us.

Interesting the supposedly higher calibre of applicants... Could it possibly be down to the old board not being well liked within the game?

I guess it could be that previously we were up for sale so a lot of managers wouldn't want to join in case we were taken over and the new board brought in their own man.

Davies, Hughes or Mixu of the ones suggested so far. Nuttall is definitely interesting too though. 

On 19 September 2016 at 5:22 PM, Nigerian Panda said:

Billy Davies! 

Your wrong Hughes was shown the door . Players not performing for him . Talks about commitment etc that only takes a team so far . He's not the answer and Billy Davies certainly is . GS if he's going to do the job will get Davies in or maybe us lot will need to chip in AGAIN ! 

21 minutes ago, JM1 said:

I guess it could be that previously we were up for sale so a lot of managers wouldn't want to join in case we were taken over and the new board brought in their own man.

Davies, Hughes or Mixu of the ones suggested so far. Nuttall is definitely interesting too though. 

Just being reading about Nuttall - had never heard of him before.  Could be the most interesting candidate out of all the names mentioned.  Would be nice not to take one of the usual suspects from the managerial merry-go-round.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

He was horrible at international level but I find it astounding that some folk on the Supporters page (I know, I know) would want to knock back the notion of a guy who was consistently successful at a high club level in England for the best part of 15 years.

I've always rated him at club level.

Everyone has been horrible at International Level for Scotland. It's a shite job. There's a real dearth of talent in Scotland coming through the youth levels, and the players that make up the usual international squads have been a bag of shite for years. Burley took over from defensive managers like Smith and McLeish and tried to be more expansive against the Netherlands and Iceland and he got burned for it. The thing is if a National Coach only gets 2 years in the job they aren't going to be able to influence the kind of root and branch shake up of the game that is needed to fix the ongoing problem. 

Burley should be judged on his record at club football. I think he fits the bill for a club like St Mirren. He's certainly managed to get better performances out of previously very average players. There's got to be a concern about the alcoholic stories and allegations but then my Mum thinks to this day that on the rare occasion I have a glass of lager or a whisky when she's visiting that I must be an alcoholic too. 

Always intrigued when I read about people having "contacts" in the game (invariably in England, the country where none of its players are in the top division, lol). Naturally if someone has been in football for many years they will know a lot of others but its always assumed that having contacts means the ability to acquire players from "friends" who are at other clubs etc. That means loan players, very few of whom have been any use in recent memory. Otherwise - even allowing for the fact transfers are not possible at present - I cant remember the last time we signed a player via a transfer fee.

The amphibious view on the manager situation is that we certainly should not re-employ any previous managers, as all those still breathing have been useless. No-one with any great track record is likely to be interested in Saints, so perhaps Davies or Hughes is as good as we can hope for.

Whoever lands the position will have a frog-eye decision cast on them within a month. This amphibian rarely gets things wrong, lol.

19 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Always intrigued when I read about people having "contacts" in the game (invariably in England, the country where none of its players are in the top division, lol). Naturally if someone has been in football for many years they will know a lot of others but its always assumed that having contacts means the ability to acquire players from "friends" who are at other clubs etc. That means loan players, very few of whom have been any use in recent memory. Otherwise - even allowing for the fact transfers are not possible at present - I cant remember the last time we signed a player via a transfer fee.

The amphibious view on the manager situation is that we certainly should not re-employ any previous managers, as all those still breathing have been useless. No-one with any great track record is likely to be interested in Saints, so perhaps Davies or Hughes is as good as we can hope for.

Whoever lands the position will have a frog-eye decision cast on them within a month. This amphibian rarely gets things wrong, lol.

A few of us can and it was a disaster.  The fans and player took instant dislike for each other.

23 minutes ago, Froggie said:

I've taken contacts to mean a mixture of what you describe and far more importantly, that rub from other former colleagues, players coached, acquaintances within the game that a certain player is out of contract or someone is worth a punt.

The whole MoJo recommending Andy Dorman type deal. Or Ian Cathro recommending Isma. 

1 hour ago, iainsc said:

It is the same names all the time lets do a Hibs and get a big name and just for a change give him some decent money.

very different names this time round, dont remember Davies , Hughes .Nuttall etc applying previously ?