Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

I think any managerial appointment would divide opinion. For me the priority has to be to stay in the league this year.

If we give Gus to the end of the season it's low risk. He will keep us up and if there's been enough signs of improvement we offer him a new deal. If not, we look elsewhere.

And if he fails as he did at QOS the backlash from the fans towards the new board would be incredible.

I think that Gordon, despite being a big fan of Gus, will be well aware that he would be a divisive appointment.

In the spirit of the club entering a new era I think he'll go for someone up and coming. My money would be on Fullarton or Ross.

We've already tried the up & coming, they are now gone

If Gus MacPherson is still in the frame then why not Gardner Speirs. Speirs got Queens Park promoted without the help of the play offs. No finishing 4th for him. He also was the manager when Queens Park developed the likes of Andrew Robertson, Blair Spittal, Lawrence Shankland, Aidan Connolly and Paul McGinn and he's had plenty of experience working as the Clyde manager, Queens Park manager, and stepping into the manager roles at Aberdeen and Ross County. 

27 minutes ago, Kendo said:

I like Gus but to bring him back would divide opinion and create controversy that we could do without.

We need a manager that will get the fans on board from day one. Gus isn't that man.

gus mcpherson is a septic wee scrote,

46 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Gus has had 3 managerial jobs and he's been hugely successful in 2. Indeed Queens Park fans say it would be ' a disaster ' if he left and '100% of QP fans would want him to stay'.

Yogi's had 4 jobs and he's been successful in 2 (sacked by Hibs and Hartlepool). Even the two he's been relatively successful with he remains unpopular with both ICT and Falkirk fans.

Just because someone was sacked doesn't mean he wasn't a success. Indeed, you say Gus was a success in two of his jobs - well he was sacked from one of them! Billy Davies, who many people (including myself) would like to see get the job got sacked by Derby despite getting them promoted.

It might not have been seen as success at the time but Hughes is the last manager to get Hibs into the top six. They went on a downward spiral after he left, as did Falkirk who were immediately relegated. How much that's down to him leaving things in a mess is open for debate.

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Scott should hit the bookies and put 20K on Billy Stark at 25/1 and then sack him 1 week later. Then he will have the cash for a good manager :rolleyes:

Why not go for someone at bigger odds, like Chick Young, we could also bring in a couple of players.

I'm dead against appointing Gus & obviously Topcat is in favour & I like a lot of Topcat's posts but to say appoint Gus till the end of the season is silly - he won't leave his current job for a 8 month contract and to give him a long contract would be ridiculous. Gus is a non starter.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just because someone was sacked doesn't mean he wasn't a success. Indeed, you say Gus was a success in two of his jobs - well he was sacked from one of them! Billy Davies, who many people (including myself) would like to see get the job got sacked by Derby despite getting them promoted.

It might not have been seen as success at the time but Hughes is the last manager to get Hibs into the top six. They went on a downward spiral after he left, as did Falkirk who were immediately relegated. How much that's down to him leaving things in a mess is open for debate.

That is true. I can remember saints sacking a manager who went on to be 1 of the best manager in the world  :rolleyes:  In fact is there any successful manager anywhere who had not been sack at some time in his career ?

39 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

So what does that say about the squad that finished several places higher, with several of those players gone, injured or mixing it with the law?

That Danny did a bit better in season 2013/14 compared to our very poor league form the season before? Or perhaps that the league was a bit tighter? We finished 8th in 2013/14, just 4 points better off than relegated Hibs, which is hardly something to get excited about. 

McGowan featured in 36 of the 38 league games so his scumbaggery didn't affect us too much.

I'm actually a fan of Danny's, but at one point a team fell into his lap that should have qualified for Europe, but ended up nowhere near it. Which is down to him.

1 hour ago, Kendo said:

I like Gus but to bring him back would divide opinion and create controversy that we could do without.

We need a manager that will get the fans on board from day one. Gus isn't that man.

And on Day 2 the fans will be going f*cking mental if we lose on day 1.

32 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Stuart St Mirren don't make the list of managers who should apply, maybe you would be better to take that up with a bookies forum ! ! !

I'm doing what everyone else is doing on this thread IoBS. I'm speculating on names and commenting on other suggestions. 

So far I've named Stephen Kenny, Brian McClair, and Gardner Speirs and given the reasons why I think they would be excellent choices. I've also backed calls for George Burley as I also happen to think he's be excellent in the role. Like everyone else on here I've no idea who applied. 

So why should I take it to a bookies forum? 

Generally the reasons people have for disliking McPherson are idiotic.

His apparent dislike of youth policy, the cup final result and apparent general dislike of the fans have all been shown to be nonsense and outwith his control. He got us results that's the only thing that matters.

However he isn't someone who should be first choice for the current role. But I'd still have him over John 'play one style of football no matter the result' Hughes.

I'm not sure who should be manager, but we should be looking for someone who is going to get first team results, everything else is a bonus, even if that means the 'youth academy' continues to 'produce' little to nothing, and we play what is apparently 'dull' football.