Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

24 minutes ago, div said:

I actually don't really care much if Billy Davies uses us as a stepping stone to get a better job at a bigger club.

If he was to achieve that it would mean he would have been successful as manager of St.Mirren.

What's not to like about that prospect?

If any manager comes to our club and is hugely successful then he'll move on to a bigger club. That's part and parcel of football.

I'd much rather a manager left us because he was successful rather than us sacking him!

Yip totally agree but if we are wanting 'success' to be staying in the division at this point then there are a few on the list who can do that too...difference being they might not be looking elsewhere as soon as they did.

Just think if Davies did that then we find ourselves here again commenting on a similar thread potentially sooner than we think

Edited by STGBuddy

Fullarton is one of these guys that gets his name in the frame for a few jobs, but what has he actually achieved as a manager?

I'd take big Yogi as manager (and I didn't think I'd ever say that a few years ago). An enthusiastic, bubbly character that gets his team playing passing football and his teams always look like they're organised and know what they're meant to be doing. I think he'd lift the whole club and get us going again.    

Edited by Edinbuddie
Crimes against they're/their!

Davies ( if genuinely interested) by far and away the outstanding candidate!  proven track record in getting results in the high end of the championship also methodical and passionate in his style ( watch the nott's forrest documentary's on youtube and you can see how methodical he is in his preparation) which I think is exactly what we need, who cares if he's a little paranoid & likes to wind up the media as long as he brings success on the park and if he only stays for maybe two seasons to get his career back on track then fine.

I never thought we would be able to attract a manager of his calibre so I think we should be grasping this opportunity ( if he wants it) , I think theres no doubt he could get the best out of the current crop of players .

Edited by gazmc83

3 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

Fullarton is one of these guys that gets his name in the frame for a few jobs, but what has he actually achieved as a manager?

I'd take big Yogi as manager (and I didn't think I'd ever say that a few years ago). An enthusiastic, bubbly character that gets his team playing passing football and his teams always look like they're organised and know what they're meant to be doing. I think he'd lift the whole club and get us going again.    

The fella had his first chance earlier in the year at Notts County but it doesn't take much digging to see he had zero chance at that club which was going through , and is still going through major turmoil...he came as an academy manager from Nottingham Forest to Notts County so hardly a recipe for a warm welcome!! ...and then got booed after winning his first two games? So to judge him after 12 games with none of his own players in that sort of environment I think is harsh in the extreme.

7 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

New to forum so please go easy, Billy Davies for me.  Anything to get a connection with the players and a response on the park.

I think most would be ok with Davies , I just had concerns about him using it just to get back in and then disappear shortly. Then we are looking again for a new manager and I think at this stage we need to invest a bit longer term.....hopefully

8 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Yip totally agree but if we are wanting 'success' to be staying in the division at this point then there are a few on the list who can do that too...difference being they might not be looking elsewhere as soon as they did.

Just think if Davies did that then we find ourselves here again commenting on a similar thread potentially sooner then we think

Staying in the Championship should be the minimum requirement for this season (it makes me sad to be typing that sentence) but it is the first priority.

I think a fair and realistic goal to set a new manager would be to finish as high as possible this season, promotion play offs minimum for 2017-2018 and promotion in 2018-2019.

A big ask perhaps, perhaps not ambitious enough for some of our fans, but that would be my view.

It's a bloody tough division and there are clubs on par with us who have been down here a lot longer than we have so we've absolutely no divine right to expect promotion at any time!

4 minutes ago, div said:

Staying in the Championship should be the minimum requirement for this season (it makes me sad to be typing that sentence) but it is the first priority.

I think a fair and realistic goal to set a new manager would be to finish as high as possible this season, promotion play offs minimum for 2017-2018 and promotion in 2018-2019.

A big ask perhaps, perhaps not ambitious enough for some of our fans, but that would be my view.

It's a bloody tough division and there are clubs on par with us who have been down here a lot longer than we have so we've absolutely no divine right to expect promotion at any time!

and that's exactly why I wouldn't object to Davies for a short term fix... but I just cant see him staying that long to realise any of that...I really think we need to invest in someone who wants to see it through longer term

Edited by STGBuddy

and that's exactly why I wouldn't object to Davies for a short term fix... but I just cant see him staying that long to realise any of that...I really think we need to invest in someone who wants to see it through longer term

If Davies was a success and moved on, it would be nice to receive some compo instead of money going the other way to terminate contracts.

3 minutes ago, Richie P said:

If Davies was a success and moved on, it would be nice to receive some compo instead of money going the other way to terminate contracts.

absolutely ....my point is that I don't want to be here in the near future discussing this again........We need some stability

22 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Anyone who is succesfull as our manager will be a target for bigger clubs so what difference does it make who is succesfull ?  If BD comes in and he gets fairly instant results of course bigger fish will be interested but the same can be argued about anyone who will do a good job for Saints, we are pretty far down the food chain these days unfortunatley.  To say we shouldn't appoint a manager because he might be so successful that he will be lured away fairly quickly has to be the ultimate in cutting off your nose to spite your face.

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I don't think I have ever seen a "next Manager" market where the market leaders a week out get the job - totally useles as a guide to shortlists or who might get it.

Yeah just shows that the bookies follow the money .....

Not even a shortlist yet (well not that I know of) and its been up and down like a yo yo ...gus started at 6/4 fav

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Anyone who is succesfull as our manager will be a target for bigger clubs so what difference does it make who is succesfull ?  If BD comes in and he gets fairly instant results of course bigger fish will be interested but the same can be argued about anyone who will do a good job for Saints, we are pretty far down the food chain these days unfortunatley.  To say we shouldn't appoint a manager because he might be so successful that he will be lured away fairly quickly has to be the ultimate in cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Its one thing being lured away and another to be looking for it is my point.

I'm not saying don't appoint him, I'm merely saying if we want someone to give the club even medium term stability then, in my opinion , he wouldn't do that

If we follow that logic then we potentially appoint a new 'experienced' manager each year to give us some short term 'success' and then move them on....I just don't want that constant change and this merry go round all the time

The fella had his first chance earlier in the year at Notts County but it doesn't take much digging to see he had zero chance at that club which was going through , and is still going through major turmoil...he came as an academy manager from Nottingham Forest to Notts County so hardly a recipe for a warm welcome!! ...and then got booed after winning his first two games? So to judge him after 12 games with none of his own players in that sort of environment I think is harsh in the extreme.

That's fine but the best you could say about him is that he's unproven. There are loads of guys that talk a good game.

2 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

That's fine but the best you could say about him is that he's unproven. There are loads of guys that talk a good game.

He is unproven as are a few on that list...the thing is that somewhere along the line ...a BOD will give some of them the chance to prove themselves based on what the club wants in a manager.

Sometimes it works and you uncover a gem, including the likes of Wenger, Howe or even Alex Neill....and others it doesn't work out that way.

But if you don't give them a chance then you'll never know ...hey, that's why the BOD get the big (ish) bucks :D

Just now, DougJamie said:

One thing keeps me going. Gordon is a supporter not a money pincher. I truly believe he will be looking at who can turn our club around. short term first..... starting with at least a point tomorrow

What team will Gordon pick for tomorrow? :lol: