Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

12 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

In this league it should be a given. With the right manager we could finish in the playoffs and get promoted.

Its only September....  lift the bar fara, too much time sucking dates in the desert...

Leave that to Faraway Saint. :P

5 minutes ago, Yeh Dosti said:

Roy Hodgson is emerging as the surprise favourite, he spoke with Tony Fitzpatrick yesterday and will be speaking GS in the next day or too.

Thank god Farmfoods, Morrisons and other retail outlets don't play in our league

Ian Ferguson backs Davies  "Billy’s credentials speak for themselves and I would say the club can’t be taking any gambles considering the situation that they find themselves in

“Billy has a proven track record of getting the most out of his teams, so for me he is close to being the perfect candidate"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/saint-mirren-fc-fergie-tells-8897259

Edited by gazmc83

Its one thing being lured away and another to be looking for it is my point.

I'm not saying don't appoint him, I'm merely saying if we want someone to give the club even medium term stability then, in my opinion , he wouldn't do that

If we follow that logic then we potentially appoint a new 'experienced' manager each year to give us some short term 'success' and then move them on....I just don't want that constant change and this merry go round all the time

Sorry - your logic makes no sense Bud.
Anyone we hire - experienced or rookie will be an attraction to other clubs if they do a great job so let's hire the best we can and focus on ensuring that we move forward from where we are now.
We can't control or predict the future but what is in our control is the hiring decision in front of GS and it's a huge one.

2 hours ago, div said:

I actually don't really care much if Billy Davies uses us as a stepping stone to get a better job at a bigger club.

If he was to achieve that it would mean he would have been successful as manager of St.Mirren.

What's not to like about that prospect?

If any manager comes to our club and is hugely successful then he'll move on to a bigger club. That's part and parcel of football.

I'd much rather a manager left us because he was successful rather than us sacking him!

Pretty much this. The only way he's going to get a move is by doing well with us - and it's fairly low risk for him as we're bottom of the league so there's massive scope for improvement he can then claim the credit for. 

I do accept the concern that he may not be hear long term if he does do well. About 10 years ago Craig Levein came back to Scotland to manage Raith Rovers and about two months later was at Dundee United. We could really do without the same sort of thing happening.

Mind you, don't think there's been a Saints manager in my lifetime who has been nicked by another club so it would be a good problem to have!

10 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

Sorry - your logic makes no sense Bud.
Anyone we hire - experienced or rookie will be an attraction to other clubs if they do a great job so let's hire the best we can and focus on ensuring that we move forward from where we are now.
We can't control or predict the future but what is in our control is the hiring decision in front of GS and it's a huge one.

Makes sense to me ! :D

I've said before , I've no issue with hiring Davies , I just can't be bothered with this all over again shortly and then we have the same debate again.

Id just rather a manager who can bring some entertainment and a plan for the club.. I just think this short term approach helps no one 

bear in mind this whole thing is based on the assumption that all of these guys actually want the job

6 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

I've said before , I've no issue with hiring Davies , I just can't be bothered with this all over again shortly and then we have the same debate again.

Id just rather a manager who can bring some entertainment and a plan for the club.. I just think this short term approach helps no one 

bear in mind this whole thing is based on the assumption that all of these guys actually want the job

but surely if he brings entertainment and a plan for the club that will equal success which will also mean other teams will be sniffing around, just part and parcel of the job.

but will be a nice situation for us to be in if other clubs were to sniff around our manager for a change...

Obviously Davies doesn't need the money as he admits, ( he would have got a big pay off from Forrest as he had a 3 year contract) so hopefully he would see this as a project to take this club back to where we belong and hopefully get the fans interested and entertained once again

Edited by gazmc83

18 hours ago, Loyal Supporter said:

Dougie Jamie , your spot on with The Passion and identity . If it's not Billy Davies then you've convinced me lets go with GUS cause he won't take any nonsense and makes the place a bit of a fortress . I can see the problem being Billy Davies won't be cheap but he would be great choice . 

Paisley 2021 stadium a fortress with wee baldy in charge? You do remember that, under Gus, we had ONE win in a calendar year?

1 hour ago, STGBuddy said:

Id just rather a manager who can provide entertainment and a plan for the club.. I just think this short term approach helps no one 

We've had our fair share of clowns.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

Caretaker boss McManus rules himself out of the running, apparently.

Billy Clabby has also ruled himself out too, so hope anyone on here hasn't wasted their money by placing a bet on him as next St Mirren manager

Edited by Flareybob

26 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

With a 40% average win rate (according to wiki) and guessing plenty of contacts in the game id take him.

Maybe him n wee John Spencer as a management team.

David Kelly ( ex Ireland international ) seems to be his favoured choice of assistant, had him at preston, derby and forrest