Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

I would be happy with Hughes, Pressley, Calderwood & Mixu who I am surprised is not on the list.

Interesting one's maybe Holt & Latapy but those would be gambles and I don't think we could take that gamble.

Gus has had his time. Should he have got the sack probably not. Was he successful yes he was. I have to mention the style of football was awful am afraid and I can't forget being beat by 9 men in the league cup final.

I would be happy with Hughes, Pressley, Calderwood & Mixu who I am surprised is not on the list.

Interesting one's maybe Holt & Latapy but those would be gambles and I don't think we could take that gamble.

Gus has had his time. Should he have got the sack probably not. Was he successful yes he was. I have to mention the style of football was awful am afraid and I can't forget being beat by 9 men in the league cup final.

Some of the best football Iv seen us play was under Gus. We absolutely hammered Motherwell in the cup and that game in Falkirk we could have been 5 up at half time. Granted that didn't happen every week but he is still being unfairly tagged for the brand of football.

I blame the players just as much as I blame Gus for that cup final.

BBC sport gossip column has Thompson and Jack Ross in the frame, although thats probably based on guesswork more than anything. Would Jack Ross leave Alloa after such a good start to the season.. could we afford to take a manager from another club? I say use the £2 SMISA cut as long as he brings Goody with him :whistle

1 minute ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

Some of the best football Iv seen us play was under Gus. We absolutely hammered Motherwell in the cup and that game in Falkirk we could have been 5 up at half time. Granted that didn't happen every week but he is still being unfairly tagged for the brand of football.

I blame the players just as much as I blame Gus for that cup final.

The brand of football wasn't pretty to watch, however he had the team set up to play to our strengths. People talk about the cup final and use it as a stick to beat him with. However he took us from the bottom of the first division  and got us to a cup final. 

How close are we to a cup final now?

Comments from someone on P&B (decent poster) about Hughes.

He left the Falkirk and Inverness sides in a hell of a state.  Falkirk were relegated the season after he left, and Foran is having to do his own rebuilding job after Hughes failed to rebuild Butcher's fantastic side, turning it basically into a squad of central midfielders and right backs.

I'd stay well clear.

11 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Comments from someone on P&B (decent poster) about Hughes.

Central midfielders you say? Go get him!

Gus was keen on central midfielders, too.

Edited by Drew

No old hands like Hughes or McP.  They have had enough chances at this level.

Getting a team out of this division (in the right way) is a young manager's game.  We need someone who is desperate to build their own career having already shown some promise.  Could be Ross, could be someone similar.

"Ally" McCoist was in the press last week saying he was hungry to get back into the game so would expect him to apply given where he stays,

Just saying , McManus should take the game this Saturday to see how the team perform under him. given how well the under 20's play their football McManus should br given a chance

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

"Ally" McCoist was in the press last week saying he was hungry to get back into the game so would expect him to apply given where he stays,

Just saying , McManus should take the game this Saturday to see how the team perform under him. given how well the under 20's play their football McManus should br given a chance

What formation do the 20s play, just out of interest?

Not that tactics have anything to do with a team's performance, obviously <_<

8 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

f**k it I'll do it :D

As good a shout as any................

My view is that in football (& life) getting back with an old flame seldom works - the fault lines from the original breakup are never that far from the surface.

Assuming that we won't be paying compensation money (if we were Stephen Aitken would be my choice) then I'd go along with the majority view that John Hughes is the best available from the current deadpool of ex-managers.

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Allan McManus must be in with a shout, the under 20's have been doing really well under him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few games to see how things work out.

The reality of our budget would see either this, or a Jack Ross level of pay grade.

Jack Ross would come with a compensation payoff to Alloa would he not?

There's no way Mulraney would let Jack Ross leave without getting substantial compensation. They are in a great position to come back up and it would take a few quid to get him. Unless Ross has something in his contract that allows him to speak with Full Time teams.

You must be quite young.

Wasn't even a twinkle in the milk man's eyes when Fergies Furies were about.

The demolition of Falkirk in the relegation battle is probably the most perfect performance I have seen from Saints given the circumstances but if we played like that every week we wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

Bit of a myth saying we were a negative team. We normally had 2 attacking full backs, + Brady,Thomson,Dorman in midfield and a combination of Mehmet/Dargo/Higdon up front.

He knew how to shitfest and sometimes that is what's required.

The reality of our budget would see either this, or a Jack Ross level of pay grade.

Surely this is when to speculate a little. Rather than spunk money we don't have on players we can't afford. It is time to set up a management structure that can be built upon. If Mr Scott has his business head on, picking the right management team from the off will save him money in the long run. The budget for our management team should not be from the crumbs left in the biscuit tin. I am sure our new chairman said he wasn't going to be throwing his own money at players but surely the right management team is worth some personal injection as it will pay off in the long run.