Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

57 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Allan McManus must be in with a shout, the under 20's have been doing really well under him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few games to see how things work out.

I'd say that's a good reason to leave him with the under-20s. If he gets the first team job then that good work will be disrupted and we'll be looking for a third youth boss inside a year.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Nah, not my type. I prefer a man with slightly less intimidating jaw line.

_75659394_john_collins.jpg.

It is some jaw. I can imagine him doing well though! Has a point to prove after the whole Hibs thing. Spoke well on Scotland's game the other night, seemed to have some good ideas. 

_75659394_john_collins.jpg.

It is some jaw. I can imagine him doing well though! Has a point to prove after the whole Hibs thing. Spoke well on Scotland's game the other night, seemed to have some good ideas. 

I like John Collins and would love to see him back in management but look at the current St Mirren squad. How many of those players do you reckon would be happy doing double training session every day?

Someone posted an article yesterday where Jim Goodwin was talking about having to work a full day. In that article he talked about it being possible for a footballer to start at 10am and be finished by 1pm. That's what the likes of Collins and Lambert would be up against in Scottish Football culture. It might work with a very young squad of hungry players but you wouldn't get the right attitude to training from guys who've done differently all their playing lives.

Gus MacPherson would be a the wrong choice, he joined QOS when they were bottom of the 1st Division and got them relegated.

He should not be allowed anywhere near St Mirren FC after the league cup final debacle.

John Hughes would be my choice.

5 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I like John Collins and would love to see him back in management but look at the current St Mirren squad. How many of those players do you reckon would be happy doing double training session every day?

Someone posted an article yesterday where Jim Goodwin was talking about having to work a full day. In that article he talked about it being possible for a footballer to start at 10am and be finished by 1pm. That's what the likes of Collins and Lambert would be up against in Scottish Football culture. It might work with a very young squad of hungry players but you wouldn't get the right attitude to training from guys who've done differently all their playing lives.

If they're not happy with it, there lies a problem. Paid to be professional football players yet can't beat a part time Dumbarton side.

Perhaps double training sessions is exactly what they need.

Edited by Doakes

You watch too much TV ! ! !

Another factor to consider is the length of contract. I read Div's piece on the main site, and he talks about the new BoD most likely having an eye to the future. As such, you'd imagine they would be looking beyond simply bringing someone in to ensure we avoid the unthinkable.

Of course, there is a downside to appointing a manager and asst on a longer contract, as we've seen to our cost (most notable in the context of the preposterous Tommy Craig scenario).

Determining the length of contract will come a close second to deciding who should get the gig.  As I posted last night, and I'll repeat, I don't envy the BoD their task here.

If they're not happy with it, there lies a problem. Paid to be professional football players yet can't beat a part time Dumbarton side.

Perhaps double training sessions is exactly what they need.

Of course. I'd advocate for a 40 hour working week for them all too. That doesn't mean running all day or lifting weights but full time players should be expected to do community work as part of their working day. However you need to be pragmatic too. When Sturrock tried it at St Johnstone some of his players went into open revolt and he was forced to reappraise his philosophy. Tom Hendrie tried to get players in at 8am for his breakfast club and it could be argued that was part of what lost him the dressing room. Collins certainly found getting Hibs players to put in a full shift brought him into conflict with players.

6 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

We have 10 players in our squad 22 years of age or younger. 15 if you include recent subs McLear, Magennis, McDonald, O’Keefe and McAllister. Perhaps we would be a good candidate for introducing such a regime?