Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

We have 10 players in our squad 22 years of age or younger. 15 if you include recent subs McLear, Magennis, McDonald, O’Keefe and McAllister. Perhaps we would be a good candidate for introducing such a regime?

Aye, if the fans and the board will back the manager when the more experienced players start bleating about it.

The brand of football wasn't pretty to watch, however he had the team set up to play to our strengths. People talk about the cup final and use it as a stick to beat him with. However he took us from the bottom of the first division  and got us to a cup final. 

How close are we to a cup final now?

The cup final was a disaster, no bones about it. People forget the semi final though. The semi where we went to Fir Park and beat a very strong big spending Hearts side, and deserved to beat them.

I often thought since then that if we had lost that semi Gus may have kept his job. He was a victim of his own success in many ways.

No Saints manager has improved nearly us as much as he did since Sir Alex Ferguson. When I see the list of prospective managers he's the outstanding candidate for me.

17 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The cup final was a disaster, no bones about it. People forget the semi final though. The semi where we went to Fir Park and beat a very strong big spending Hearts side, and deserved to beat them.

I often thought since then that if we had lost that semi Gus may have kept his job. He was a victim of his own success in many ways.

No Saints manager has improved nearly us as much as he did since Sir Alex Ferguson. When I see the list of prospective managers he's the outstanding candidate for me.

The final was a sore one, but we played Rangers off the park most of the game and just collapsed after the red cards. Don't think you can judge a manager on a 20 minute spell of 1 game.

4 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

The final was a sore one, but we played Rangers off the park most of the game and just collapsed after the red cards. Don't think you can judge a manager on a 20 minute spell of 1 game.

We went for a win and left ourselves wide open at the back. That's the way I saw it. 

5 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

That's a fair point:  we simply failed to adjust to becoming favourites to win. And while teams should be prepared for every eventuality, I'm sure becoming favourites and dominating possession against the dead club at Hampden was never likely to be in your top ten list of in-game events to prepare for.

George Burley?

Some outstanding managerial performances in amongst some hopeless. Wealth of experience and, one would assume, contacts down south. 

Took over at Derby County in a very similar situation, with the Rams having been relegated from the Premiership the season before and looking like suffering a second relegation into the third tier. Kept them up comfortably and within two seasons had them finishing fourth despite significant budget cuts.

Hasn't had a job in management since leaving a Cypriot team after 2 games in 2012 so may be interested. Was very poor in his 2 previous jobs at Scotland and Palace however.

Frank Nuttall is an interesting one to appear on the McBookie list and at 6/1 too. He was last managing out in Kenya, won back to back titles whilst being unbeaten and has been all over the world from Africa, China, UAE  and Hibs and Rangers in various roles from fitness coach to advisor to manager. He was McLeish's assistant at Zamalek as well.

Someone has clearly asked for him specifically if McBookie have seen fit to place him on the list at such short odds.

Edited by djchapsticks

12 minutes ago, the digger said:

George Burley?

Some outstanding managerial performances in amongst some hopeless. Wealth of experience and, one would assume, contacts down south. 

Took over at Derby County in a very similar situation, with the Rams having been relegated from the Premiership the season before and looking like suffering a second relegation into the third tier. Kept them up comfortably and within two seasons had them finishing fourth despite significant budget cuts.

Hasn't had a job in management since leaving a Cypriot team after 2 games in 2012 so may be interested. Was very poor in his 2 previous jobs at Scotland and Palace however.

Hasn't managed in 4 years. Great choice.

5 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Gus is now odds on with the bookies, they are rarely wrong.

He's odds on because that's where the money is going though, mate. He dropped from 4/1 to 6/4 last night at 11:30, nothing would have been happening at that time of night other than someone having a decent sized punt on him. Barry Ferguson was odds on last time because the record had touted him and everyone who was gambling went and lumped on him. 

Gus might end up the manager but believe me, the bookies know as much about it as you or I. To prove a point, I just stuck £20 (on a hunch) on that Frank Nuttall fella as it's an unusual one amongst the usual trash, so someone (hopefully someone ITK) has sounded him out on request or he'd never be on that list in a million years. Now watch what price he'll be in an hour cos a £20 stake went on him in such a niche market, he'll probably be about 4/1. The bookies are total shitebags.

Edited by djchapsticks

Gus would certainly steady the ship and tighten up the defence if that is at all possible. Was not daft on some football we played , however i remember some cracking games mentioned further back on this topic. The youth side would be a worry given rumors floating around the last time Gus was manager. Saying that i'm sure Gus is a changed man with some new ideas from the last time he was manager of the club. As for those bringing up (that  cup final ) give us a break its history.

Would not be too upset if Gus came back. Cant see it being Ross given the compensation that would needed to be paid

38 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Gus would certainly steady the ship and tighten up the defence if that is at all possible. Was not daft on some football we played , however i remember some cracking games mentioned further back on this topic. The youth side would be a worry given rumors floating around the last time Gus was manager. Saying that i'm sure Gus is a changed man with some new ideas from the last time he was manager of the club. As for those bringing up (that  cup final ) give us a break its history.

Would not be too upset if Gus came back. Cant see it being Ross given the compensation that would needed to be paid

Many people think we should forget THAT cup final and forgive Gus, as well as forgetting the one we actually won and pilorrying Danny

8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Many people think we should forget THAT cup final and forgive Gus, as well as forgetting the one we actually won and pilorrying Danny

Danny is a hero a legend forever to our club. At least he was never sacked which some fans can't seem to grasp.