Slash

Next St Mirren Manager - Merged

On 9/30/2016 at 10:26 AM, beyond our ken said:

I am extremely grateful that it will not be him

Personality is nothing without brains and aptitude.  If he is a leader, then why did he walk from ICT as soon as he was told that money was now an issue?

... because after winning a cup and finishing in the top 6 the next level was inevitably downward?

32 minutes ago, pod said:

Didn't we try that before. Unsuccessfully. Ended up costing us more. :huh:

I was pointing out McManus did a typical MacPherson game plan tonight

Nothing special

That's the best our defence have played this season but still conceded and Langfield pull off 2 great saves and Falkirk got a goal wrongly chopped off

We haven't the players to play Gus's shitfest fitba

10 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

I was pointing out McManus did a typical MacPherson game plan tonight

Nothing special

That's the best our defence have played this season but still conceded and Langfield pull off 2 great saves and Falkirk got a goal wrongly chopped off

We haven't the players to play Gus's shitfest fitba

Well going by the BBC web site the goal was correctly chopped off for offside and we only conceded due to a wicked deflection but we were still pretty shit for 85 minutes .

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Thought the tactics were mostly fine tonight: 4-5-1, 3 in midfield, Johnny up top. Only issue is we weren't direct enough. The instructions should have been;

Boom the ball long up to Sutton every chance you get back 5. Mallan, Walsh, Morgan, Hardie... get close and feed off those second balls. Sadly we still tried to fanny about with passing in our third and we negated our threat as a result.

If we did the right thing and appointed Gus, on his first day I think he would be like:

' We are going to be ugly, we are going to be hard, we are going to kick them at the back and we are going to be long ball going forward. We are going to be tough to play against and we are going to be hard to beat. '

What an improvement that would be. That would at least keep us up. Then in May we discuss our options.

Call Officer Dibble.... Top Cat's been on the class As!

Can't see Malky Mackay been mentioned anywhere yet ? Keen to prove doubters wrong after his Cardiff dramas ... Decent record and mentions in this article that he's open to a return to Scotland and a club with a good long term plan , perhaps he maybe outwith our budget but who knows .... IMG_1475363423.776401.jpg

Gus?  Is this the same Gus who is managing a team that lost 0-2 to Albion Rovers, whose manager Darren Young is interested in the Saints job?

Yep Gus's QP team currently have the same defensive record as us .... goal difference -7 , hardly living up to his hard to beat reputation ....

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Add in the ridiculous amount of money McPherson spunked on the likes of Mo Camara and we can discount his ability to work in a thrifty manner.

Up there with equally ridiculous signings by all subsequent managers: Djemba-Djemba, Bahoken, Arquin, Gow, Osbourne, Carswell, Clarkson.

Ok, Camara was a mistake, and some other signings like Dargo and Wyness didn't work out. But who are the others Gus spunked away "ridiculous amounts of money" on? He made far more good signings than bad imho.

55 minutes ago, gazmc83 said:

Can't see Malky Mackay been mentioned anywhere yet ? Keen to prove doubters wrong after his Cardiff dramas ... Decent record and mentions in this article that he's open to a return to Scotland and a club with a good long term plan , perhaps he maybe outwith our budget but who knows .... IMG_1475363423.776401.jpg

Did he not admit to be a racist? Not exactly ideal for a forward thinking, modern club!

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

A brief history of St Mirren managers this century and their net effect on league position:

Hendrie - appointed December 98 when 5th in Division 1. Sacked September 2002 when 6th in Division 1. Net impact on league position = -1

Coughlin - appointed September 2002 when 6th in Division 1. Sacked November 2003 when 8th in Division 1. Net impact on league position = -2

MacPherson - appointed November 2003 when 8th in Division 1. Sacked May 2010 when 10th in the SPL. Net impact on league position = +10

Lennon - appointed May 2010 when 10th in SPL. Contract not renewed May 2014 after finishing 8th in the SPL. Net impact on league position =+2 *Above Hearts and Rangers for non footballing reasons in final season.

Craig - appointed May 2014 when 8th in SPL. Sacked December 14 when 11th in SPL. Net impact on league position = -3. *Also above Hearts and Rangers for non footballing reasons.

Teale - appointed December 14 when 11th in SPL. Sacked May 15 after finishing 12th in SPL. Net impact on league position -1. *Also above Hearts and a Rangers for non footballing reasons.

Murray - appointed May 15 when we were 12th in the SPL. Resigned December 15 when 8th in Championship. Net impact on league position -8.

Rae - Appointed December 15 when 8th in Championship. Sacked September 16 when 10th in Championship. Net impact on league position -2.

Could argue the relevance of the Hearts/Rangers thing. I just feel that when the likes of Hendrie were managing us they were up against a big spending Rangers and Hearts. Teams who will always finish above us in normal circumstances. The 3 managers between 12-14 were lucky not to bare that burden, so their league position was bumped up a couple of spots for non footballing reasons.

The basic point is the only manager to unequivocally leave us in a far better league position in which he found us this millennia is Gus MacPherson. Despite this, some posts on here would have you believe he is the anti football anti christ.

Funny old game.

Fingers crossed our next manager is half as successful as Gus was, whoever he is.

What a f**king stupid post. 

Appointing Gus would certainly fit the short term aim of solidifying the team and steadying the ship along with countless other cliches to keep us up this season.
Whether he has the desire and the ability to then transform us into a team challenging for promotion again is something I'm not so sure of, whilst encouraging and integrating youth players into the first team squad.
I was definitely a Gus fan but I think he's low on goodwill among our fans which could make it difficult for him.

A neighbour said to me this morning that Thompson said on radio Scotland that the salary being offered is only 40k. Can this really be accurate? The big man went on apparently to suggest that this shows why the options for a replacement for Rae are so limited. If this is true, it is a mighty reality check for us all and l will have to withdraw my own application as l cannot afford the pay cut.

10 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Seemingly Chic Young was suggesting on sportsound that Fullarton will get the gig.

Horrific appointment if it happens.

I've said before on here .. that spell at Notts County is no way to judge this guy .12 games?. an 'experienced' manager, Mark cooper, went in after him and was worse in terms of shipping goals. That club was mental at the time and pretty much none of the players he had been lumbered with are still there. 

I watched his spell down there on social media etc after another fan said he got the job and he didn't stand a chance.. ffs the owner put the club up for sale 2 weeks after he arrived because of the fans abuse .. and that was after 2 wins in his first 2 games !!

i think this guy is getting a bad press. 

Gus is a step back the way and every one of us (apart from Shull maybe) pretty much accepts that 

Jack Ross for me is in the same mould as this guy but the difference for me is that Fullarton has much wider contacts in the game... and if everyone thinks he is as toxic in the game as they suggest ? Then he won't get interviewed .. it's as simple as that ...but if he's in the running then clearly a lot of the negative allegations written won't be true because the BOD will know all about him and others on their list 

13 hours ago, TopCat said:

A brief history of St Mirren managers this century and their net effect on league position:

Hendrie - appointed December 98 when 5th in Division 1. Sacked September 2002 when 6th in Division 1. Net impact on league position = -1

Coughlin - appointed September 2002 when 6th in Division 1. Sacked November 2003 when 8th in Division 1. Net impact on league position = -2

MacPherson - appointed November 2003 when 8th in Division 1. Sacked May 2010 when 10th in the SPL. Net impact on league position = +10

Lennon - appointed May 2010 when 10th in SPL. Contract not renewed May 2014 after finishing 8th in the SPL. Net impact on league position =+2 *Above Hearts and Rangers for non footballing reasons in final season.

Craig - appointed May 2014 when 8th in SPL. Sacked December 14 when 11th in SPL. Net impact on league position = -3. *Also above Hearts and Rangers for non footballing reasons.

Teale - appointed December 14 when 11th in SPL. Sacked May 15 after finishing 12th in SPL. Net impact on league position -1. *Also above Hearts and a Rangers for non footballing reasons.

Murray - appointed May 15 when we were 12th in the SPL. Resigned December 15 when 8th in Championship. Net impact on league position -8.

Rae - Appointed December 15 when 8th in Championship. Sacked September 16 when 10th in Championship. Net impact on league position -2.

Could argue the relevance of the Hearts/Rangers thing. I just feel that when the likes of Hendrie were managing us they were up against a big spending Rangers and Hearts. Teams who will always finish above us in normal circumstances. The 3 managers between 12-14 were lucky not to bare that burden, so their league position was bumped up a couple of spots for non footballing reasons.

The basic point is the only manager to unequivocally leave us in a far better league position in which he found us this millennia is Gus MacPherson. Despite this, some posts on here would have you believe he is the anti football anti christ.

Funny old game.

Fingers crossed our next manager is half as successful as Gus was, whoever he is.

Certainly rattled a few cages with that post TC. :jerrry

Here's my take - we're a yo-yo club but given that there are only 20 f/t clubs in Scotland we should be disappointed at finishing outside the promotion play-off spots in the current set-up but can't really expect to finish in the Top 6 of the top division too often.

Hendrie - 99/00 was the best season ever to be a Saints fan but after approaching 4 years in charge he seemed to have lost his way and had a bit of a meltdown after a 4-0 defeat to ICT and it all got messy after that. Probably right in football terms but IIRC it cost us the windfall of a Scottish Cup tie at Parkhead to pay him off.

Coughlin - Always a "dead man walking" especially after MacPherson was appointed as Assistant Manager.

MacPherson - Great manager for us - keeping us up in 2006/07 was an amazing, great, wondrous, achievement given the disparity in budget with the other teams in the division. I was never bothered by the style of football, league position or even "the game that must never be mentioned". Unfortunately he seemed to let it go to his head and was sacked for his inability to maintain working relationships within the club rather than results. As I've said before there is too much baggage to bring him back - sadly.

Lennon - Despite that Cup win league results were erratic only finishing above an under an underprepared Dundee in 2012/13 and flirting with the play-off spot for most of 2013/14. I never called for him to be sacked and was slightly disappointed when his contract was not renewed - in the end it was a borderline decision amongst the fans anyway.

Craig - How much did he want the job? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "it'll see me through till I'm due my pension" and 10 being "I'd crawl over broken glass for one last go as top gun" I'd say 2 or maybe 3. Was kinda inevitable that he lasted 19 games like his previous go - or is that an urban legend?

Teale - Never really given a chance but blew it in the double header with Motherwell/Ross County just prior to the split.

Murray - Given a decent stab but there couldn't have been many fans who still had faith in his ability to turn things round by the time he got sacked.

Rae - Turned things around last season but was sacked after just six league games this time, too early IMO especially since BD knocked us back.

The next guy - Target must be getting us up to at least 8th this season and into the play-off spots next time. Assuming (s)he'll be given a similar contract as Rae (s)he should get till the turn of Nov/Dec before being judged.

Their is no next level, we're a yo-yo club.

Edited by Bud the Baker

A neighbour said to me this morning that Thompson said on radio Scotland that the salary being offered is only 40k. Can this really be accurate? The big man went on apparently to suggest that this shows why the options for a replacement for Rae are so limited. If this is true, it is a mighty reality check for us all and l will have to withdraw my own application as l cannot afford the pay cut.

Would say that is pure speculation how on earth would Thompson know what salary is being offered.

27 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Would say that is pure speculation how on earth would Thompson know what salary is being offered.

He's probably basing it on my guess at the manager's salary when doing the Saints Football Manager data.

Surely a provisional contract contains lots of details and whatifferyy. How anyone can say they know what's on an unsigned contract is mystic meg stuff. Any salary is obviously negotiable and bonus and caveats built in. A fixed basic salary irrespective of candidate is just not real.

I think the salary won't have been the stumbling block for the likes of Davies and Hughes .. I imagine it would be more around what resources they would have to work with. It's not as if these two are short of a few quid 

Edited by STGBuddy

Equally, we did not concede 4 goals... looked solid at the back... and didn't lose the game.

That is what any change in our fortune will have to be built on and McManus has got it spot on today.

Spot on?

Look I'm not an advocate of luck but Falkirk were cruising and Walsh hit a screamer from a distance you don't normally get goals from. Falkirk also had two goals chopped off for offside. To add to that I thought McManus was a fairly benign influence on the match and his attacking subs came too late in the match.